Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If you choose to self pay and go to Mexico does this mean you do not have to attend any classes? Do just call and set up a surgery date?

basically call and set up a date but you do have to go on a diet before

nicole

august 25th dr almanza!

I just came back from gastric sleeve plication surgery on 07/23/10 in Mexico with Dr. Lopez Corvala. My BMI was 39 when I went for surgery, and weight was 231lbs. I did NOT have to do a pre op diet, or any type of classes. I did choose to attend a webinar on this procedure that totally convinced me I was making the right choice for me. It went into details of the procedure, and how it is done. The self pay price was $8,000 and included 2 days in Hospital Angeles which was beautiful, and very quiet! Of course air fare is additional, and I flew to San Diego from Fort Lauderdale, FL. I have only weighed once since the procedure, and at that time I had lost 8 lbs 2 ozs. Next weigh in is Friday! I can say that I had no problems with the surgery post op. I am also now eating mushy, soft food and having no difficulties at all. This is a slightly differant procedure than the VSG, but much less invasive.

Just wanted to give you a differant perspective in case you haven't heard about this procedure. It is fairly new, and no staples or cutting of the stomach. For me, it was the best decision, as I have very little hunger, and feel full on less than 4 ozs of food.

Penny

Is this also known as the super sleeve?

Not having to attend classes and being able to call up and get an appointment are some of the perks but also the downsides to having surgery in Mexico. I loved getting it done on my terms but sometimes regret having very little followup and direction. That is why I like the online forums so much. They are my classes and instruction. I am only 2 weeks out but so far very smooth sailing. I had surgery with dr. verboonen in Cancun.

Good Luck,

Dawn

NO, this is not the super sleeve! This is called total vertical gastric plication, or gastric sleeve plication it basically entails folding the stomach, and using non disolvable sutures to create a smaller stomach that holds between 3-5 ozs post surgery. I have read that it will stretch a bit as well as time progresses so that you might be able to eat 1 cup of food about 8 months down the road. Hope that helped...Penny

Im from Canada and my doctor had NO issues with me going to Mexico, she was very supportive and actually advocated with all the good work that actually happens in Mexico, I was quite surprised and very relieved!!

Humpty-you have Kaiser girlie! Fight your case! You should be able to get the sleeve done for free!!! Call the department of manged health care and tell them about your case.

If you choose to self pay and go to Mexico does this mean you do not have to attend any classes? Do just call and set up a surgery date?

That is exactly what it means!!! No supervised diets, no back and forth, no fear of rejection after you have jumped through hoop after hoop and then dealing with appeals.... In my case....even if WLS WAS covered under my health insurance, I would have only saved about 2-3k in co-pays, deductable, etc etc. (and probably came out better then with insurance if I would have gone with the cheaper docs in MX.) The only diet you will do is the pre-op diet to get you ready for surgery (mine is high Protein, low carb for 10 days prior).

I'm kinda glad I'm self-pay. I call the shots! I do things on MY terms and on MY time and because the money is coming out of my own pocket....it is just more motivation to not waste all that $$.

I'm scheduled with Dr. Aceves for 08-27-10 and I pay $8750 plus airfare - that's covers everything!

Good luck to you!

Is this also known as the super sleeve?

Actually, I know for sure that Dr. Rodriguez, who works with BeLiteWeight and out of Tijuana and Juarez both, does call this procedure "Super sleeve". This may be the wrong terminology, but that is what they refer to it there. I was very confused at first, because I got a lot of mixed information on what they were. I'm not sure if this helps you or not, but if you get something from Beliteweight about the "super sleeve", that actually is the total vertical gastric plication or TVGP. Hope that helps!