Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Picking my doctor...Viva la Mexico

Wow! Choosing a doctor to use in Mexico is difficult. I have literally been obsessed with looking up everything I can on the internet. I have narrowed it down to Dr. Alamanza or Dr. Juan ponce de leon. If anyone has any "new" experiences they would like to share I would be very grateful. I have questions about flying after the surgery. I am flying in from Orlando, Florida to San Diego and then being transported to Tijuana. I also need to know if I have to get a hotel room before the surgery or if I can fly in that day and have surgery that afternoon? I'm so nervous. I need to make a decision by Monday and schedule the surgery. I also need to apply for my first passport on Monday. I wish there was some sort of support group here locally. I love that I found this site though. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Hi Tamboo, I am having my VSG done with Dr. Almanza 8/18. I will arrive 8/17 and leave 8/21. Melissa my Pt Coordinator said I could stay at the recovery house all days as long as there is space. If not I will only need a room the day I arrive. She said the room would cost 89.00 and it is next to the San Diego airport. She also said Dr. Almanza is the best for the VSG and Dr. Ponce Deleon is best for the band. You might want to PM KathyM she just returned from there a couple weeks ago. Best of luck to you.

Thanks for your reply. Please let me know how it went for you and what your experience was like. If you are interested, I would love to have a mentor that is familiar with my doctor. Just let me know! Thanks so much.

I had surgery with Dr. Almanza June 11 and am quite pleased with my results. I flew out of Raleigh, NC and stayed at the Hampton Inn by the San Diego airport the day before my surgery. I was picked up by a driver at 7 am the day of surgery. So far, I am almost 40 pounds down and very active. If you'd like anymore information feel free to PM me.

C

Hi,

I'm having the VSG with Dr. Almanza 8/04. I'm flying from Tampa 8/3. I will keep you posted on how it goes.

Kaysay please do keep us informed on your progress and feelings about Dr Almanza. I'm right behind you on 8/18. I'm think im getting cold feet. I don't have much support here. Im being told by my mom im going to die. And other people say can I really live with feeling sick all the time. My husband was ok with it but now seems to be scared for me.

Hi Tamboo, When will you be having your VSG? I dont know how good of a mentor I will be seeing im having cold feet myself. But maybe when can comfort each other. If I make it there I will share all with you!

Tamboo,

I'm from the Orlando area - about dead even between Orlando and Daytona, so we aren't too far from eachother! I chose Dr. Aceves in Mexicali, MX and have surgery scheduled for 08-27. I know what you mean about being totally obsessed with researching everything! I originally was looking at Dr. Alamanza and dr. Ponce de leon, but was more comfortable with Dr. Aceves when it was all said and done. I scheduled in June with Dr. Aceves and this last month has been the slowest month in my entire life and I'm so glad it is finally August! I don't have to flip ahead on my calender anymore to see the date! I can see it right there!

I'm totally obsessed with being on here and the obesity help forum! I've organized my closet in order of size (I knew I was toting all of my smaller sizes around for a reason - and here it comes!).....I have Protein shakes, Protein powder (chocolate and unflavored so far!), plenty of SoBe Water, chicken broth and other "clear liquids" for that stage. I even bought baby food to start with the mushies stage! I have gas-x strips, chapstick, chewable Vitamins and other essentials already in my carry-on bag!! Tell me THAT'S not obsessed!! I even bought a membership to BJ's Wholesale ONLY so that i could buy all the Protein shakes/powers in bulk!

I applied for my passport on 07-06 and got it on 07-19 - not too bad (and that was without the rush fee).

I'll add you to my friends list - it is always nice to have someone you can chat with who is close to home!

Krista

Christina,

I can totally relate to how you're feeling. I had extreme cold feet after I put down the deposit. I guess a little buyer's remorse! The first day of my liquid diet was very hard...I had a few tears and a couple moments of rages. My emotions have been all over the place. It must be really hard not having support. You really have to remind yourself that you are doing what's best for YOU. I only told my husband and my mother and they have been very supportive; they really just want me to be happy. Today I feel more confident, just a little nervous about travelling alone. Just keep a positive attitude and try to communicate with as many people as you can who have had surgery. KathyM gave me a good idea of what to expect and was very reassuring. Best wishes, and I will be sure to post about my experiences when I get back.

Thanks Kayshay. Reading KathyMs post a few others that went to him make me feel better. I think alot of it is in my head. Its not just fear of the surgery but also fear of acid upset, Hair loss, and loss of fav foods. I think the post are helpful but some of them scare the hell out of me. I havent told my husband about any of the side effects bc he will freak. This is tuff Im finding myself getting depressed over the whole thing. The surgery is always on my mind 24/7. Im going crazy I think!

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. I'm curious to know how much of a deposit is required. I'm working on applying for my passport today. How long do you think I should schedule my surgery for to make sure my passport is in on time? Also, did everyone who had to fly to San Diego have to stay in a hotel the night before? I will be bringing a friend to stay with me, will they be able to stay with me in the hospital and recovery house? What were your pre-op diets? So many questions....Oooh...who was your patient coordinator? I would happily accept any "surgery buddies", the more support the better!

On a side note: My roommate got inspired by my news of the surgery and has looked in to getting the surgery himself. His insurance, of course, pays for 90% of his surgery. Lucky bastard :) He has already signed up for their information seminar later this month.

It was $500.00. Melissa is my Pt coordinator. And I was told as long as they have room you can bring someone with you. Would you like Melissas number? I call her for everything. I wish you could go with me on the 17th. Im flying on AA and since we both live in Fl im sure both our connecting flights would be in Tx.

hi this is nicole from tennessee, im having mine done aug 25th by dr almanza. keep in touch!