Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A question for those that are Post-op

We're supposed to be taking a trip to the beach for Labor Day Weekend. I'm hoping to get my surgery scheduled for August 13th.

Do you guys think I'll be up for a trip three weeks after my surgery?

Also, how long do you think I'll need help? I have 3 small children, age 6, 4 and 2.:001_smile:

I think a lot of it depends on how old you are and what kind of shape you're in. And what kind of vacation do you have planned? Will you have someone to help with the kids on vacation? Are you a single parent? Have a good, supportive husband and father for the kids?

Needless to say, there are no guarantees that you won't encounter something unusual during or after surgery that might require more help from outside than you originally planned on. But I'll give you feedback on my progress after surgery.

I only had a few days of feeling uncomfortable and only a couple of days that I felt like I needed a little pain medication. I bounced back very quickly after the band, not so fast after the sleeve. But I am older than you are and probably wasn't in as good physical condition as you. My left side incision where he removed the portion of my stomach was pretty sore and tender for a couple of weeks. And although I've heard a lot of people say they had no energy, I felt pretty good except for that one tender incision.

It is crucial that you get in the required amount of liquids, Protein and Vitamins for a speedy recovery. The better care you take of yourself, the quicker you'll feel like doing your normal activities. And if you try to eat like even a little like you used to, you'll have problems. I hope your doctor has a good plan that is not too rigid with food choices. My dietician had a plan that added new foods every 2 or 3 days and so it kept me from getting bored with my diet during those weeks just after surgery.

All in all, if you take good care of yourself, and you have no complications, you should be fine. But you will probably still need to pamper yourself a little and not expect too much from your body. It will have been through a lot with the surgery and anesthesia and it takes a while for anyone to feel 100% after all that.

Good luck! Hope all goes well for you.

I agree. When it comes to help, just remember you will have weight restrictions on what you can lift, so keep that in mind when it comes to your little ones.

I'm 19 days post surgery, and I wouldn't go to the beach now. I do light driving, walking, and try to completely avoid lifting and bending. I have almost no pain and thank God, no leakage or other type of complications.

However, I tire easily, especially in the sun and in crowded places. Too much noise, movement, action make me a bit dizzy and lightheaded. I went to the mall this past Saturday, and had to leave to the car 20 minutes after being inside. I wasn't like this before surgery, so I know it's part of the recuperation process. My body and mind are still in recovery, and I know I must be careful to what I expose them to.

Another issue that has come up is depression, better yet: anxiety. This is something I wasn't familiar with either. Never had anxiety, only mild depression on PMS days. This time though, it's different! I panick easy, I become terrified and immensely emotional. It hits me at any moment. It's mindboggling and almost unbelievable given my pre-op personality.

Be careful. I wasn't prepared for all the different physical changes and sensations. And I especially wasn't prepared for the emotional challenges. Given the way I've felt, I wouldn't go the beach on such a hot, crowded, noisy day. But, hopefully your experience will be different and you will be able to enjoy a day at the beach. Best wishes!

If it helps I felt 'normal ' at 3 weeks... I know everyone heals differently, but the 3 week mark for me was the turning point. I felt a bit more energised, and able to do a lot more than before - I started swimming then too as my scars had healed by then.

Will you be able to cope - Thats something only you will know at the time - a lot will depend on the situation of the trip - a day trip or a vacation etc.... but I'd not rule it out if you're with others who can help out with your kids if needed.

Good luck

Everyone's recovery is different. Mine was uneventful, but I was still low energy at 3 weeks and had to put a lot of effort towards getting enough fluids at that stage. But some members on the forum had a much more difficult time.

Even in my case, I would have needed help. As mentioned, lifting is a no-no that you want to be careful about.

Thanks for all of the responses. I just got my surgery date: August 18th. My mom is flying up from PR on August 14th and she'll be with me until September 2nd. We leave to the beach on September 3rd.

I went for my preop appt at the surgeon's office yesterday. He said I should be OK to go to the beach on the 3rd as long as I don't get into the Water. Thankfully my hubby is good at caring for the kids. I don't mind lounging by the pool with a good book while he plays with the kids. I've just got to be sure to take plenty of RTD Protein with me. I'll be on Clear Liquids for the 1st two weeks. I'll be starting on full liquids two days before we leave for the beach.

He also said no heavy lifting for 2-4 weeks. Thankfully my little one is already in a big boy bed, so I don't have to lift him into bed. I have a few friends that are willing to stop in from time to time to see if there's anything I need help with. Thanks for the info everyone, it's definitely helped me make preparations for my surgery. So glad to have a community to share info with!

I think if you feel good you should do whatever activity you like. Just be sure not to get into the Water until your sites are all healed :)

Kathy

That's great that you have so much support! I had a heck of a time resisting lifting weight when my beautiful grandgirls were standing in front of me! I just tried to sit down and pull them into my lap to resist the temptation!

Be sure to stock a cooler with ice and your favorite drinks and have something with you to drink at all times. With hubby chasing after the kids, all you need now is a good book!!!!!

Go!!! Don't over-do but have fun. I had surgery on June the 11th in Dallas, (we live out of state but are from Texas) I hung around with family members for a week, went to my one week ck up and had my staples removed and then my husband and I headed for Galveston to a rented beach house for week two of my recovery!! (I had my doctor's blessing!) We drove, it was five hours and the only instructions I had were to get out EVERY hour and walk for a few minutes to prevent blood clots!! It was wonderful, restful and the best decision I made! We headed back to Dallas for my two week check up and then I flew home!! At three weeks I felt great, actually I was feeling really good by week two! Have fun....nothing is better for the soul then the sand, sun and surf!!

We're supposed to be taking a trip to the beach for Labor Day Weekend. I'm hoping to get my surgery scheduled for August 13th.

Do you guys think I'll be up for a trip three weeks after my surgery?

Also, how long do you think I'll need help? I have 3 small children, age 6, 4 and 2.:)

Just remember you can not go in the Water until your scabs are gone. So get some water proof band aids. Mine just can off a couple days ago and I am just starting my week four.

How strange that he said that you couldn't swim! I went to my Dr. for a 2 weeks visit and he said that I could start swimming that day. And I have to say...I've gone to the pool at least 3 times since then and haven't had a problem.

Merry

My doc wouldn't let me swim until the steri strips had fallen off (which is when your incision has healed.) The steri strips on the incision where he removed my stomach didn't fall off for about 4 weeks or longer, I can't remember exactly. That incision opening was as big around as the size of his thumb and a very important spot to get healed properly. An infection there could be pretty bad.

I couldn't swim or take a tub bath for four weeks. A swimming pool is nasty anyway. Think about it. YUCK!!! :thumbup: I would be leery of getting in one until being healed totally!

If you're talking PUBLIC pools, for sure. And public spas are supposed to be the worst. We keep our saltwater pool and spa sparkling though with frequent tests and chemicals balanced and it probably has fewer bacteria than the Water from my tap. But I don't think the doc wanted the steri strips soaked with water and that's why he okayed a shower so soon, but like you Ntvtxn, no bath (or spa or swimming) for weeks.