Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll and Questions for those already Sleeved:

What is your hunger level NOW in comparison to Pre-Sleeve?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. What is your hunger level NOW in comparison to Pre-Sleeve?

• I am between 96% hunger cured to 100% hunger cured.
    • I am between 90% hunger cured to 95% hunger cured.
    • I am between 80% hunger cured to 89% hunger cured.
    • I am between 70% hunger cured to 79% hunger cured.
    • I am between 50% hunger cured to 69% hunger cured.
    • I am between 26% hunger cured to 49% hunger cured.
    • I am between 1% hunger cured to 25% hunger cured.
    • I am 0% hunger cured.

I have a poll in regards to hunger suppression.

I have also created a few questions for those who have been sleeved at least more than a few months.

I have been thinking about a revision from band to sleeve for more than awhile now. I keep going back and forth with it. I won?t go into details right now with my band because maybe I?m just being a little selfish with my reasons, but that to me is really important right now. I?m not getting any younger and I just want something that actually will give me what is advertised!

Thanks to anyone who is willing to help out a bit? J I?m sure most of these questions have been asked a zillion times, but I?m going to start moving forward with this quickly and would like some ?one-stop-shopping!? LOL

Questions:

1) How long have you been sleeved?

2) Who was your surgeon?

3) What were your experiences with your surgeon?

4) Would you recommend your surgeon?

5) How much weight have you lost since your sleeve date?

6) What type of sleeve do you have?

7) Would you recommend the type of sleeve you have?

8) Do you find you still have the necessary level of energy to sustain a good workout?

9) Do you find it difficult to keep the weight off once you have lost it?

10) Do you have trouble eating, such as getting ?stuck??

11) What is the one things about getting the surgery that you regret?

12) Would you do this surgery again, or would you have made another choice?

THANKS TO ALL!!!

POLL QUESTION:

I am between 96% hunger cured to 100% hunger cured.

I am between 90% hunger cured to 95% hunger cured.

I am between 80% hunger cured to 89% hunger cured.

I am between 70% hunger cured to 79% hunger cured.

I am between 50% hunger cured to 69% hunger cured.

I am between 26% hunger cured to 49% hunger cured.

I am between 1% hunger cured to 25% hunger cured.

I am 0% hunger cured.

This is great so far! Most of you are between 80-100 hunger cured, that is totally amazing! My band never helped me with this, and I was quite surprised. I was feeling serious hunger after day 3 even! I wonder what the results would show for the band? I won't ask that though, I don't want to get into it anymore with that.

Anyone want to engage me in the questions I asked? Thanks to all of you for your responses so far! :)

See the answers below to your questions:

I have a poll in regards to hunger suppression.

I have also created a few questions for those who have been sleeved at least more than a few months.

I have been thinking about a revision from band to sleeve for more than awhile now. I keep going back and forth with it. I won?t go into details right now with my band because maybe I?m just being a little selfish with my reasons, but that to me is really important right now. I?m not getting any younger and I just want something that actually will give me what is advertised!

Thanks to anyone who is willing to help out a bit? J I?m sure most of these questions have been asked a zillion times, but I?m going to start moving forward with this quickly and would like some ?one-stop-shopping!? LOL

Here are my answers to your questions, hope this helps!!

Questions:

For 7 months. Was banded for almost 2 years before that

2) Who was your surgeon? Aceves in Mexicali

3) What were your experiences with your surgeon? Have never had better care anywhere in the world, including the USA, Europe, Middle East, Asia.

4) Would you recommend your surgeon? Wouldn't go to anyone else.

5) How much weight have you lost since your sleeve date? Since the sleeve I have lost 50 lbs. Have lost 110 lbs total. I'm not currently working hard at trying to lose more .

6) What type of sleeve do you have? Not sure what you mean. I have a 36 bougie oversewn.

7) Would you recommend the type of sleeve you have? YES!!!!

8) Do you find you still have the necessary level of energy to sustain a good workout? I walk a 3 mile circuit daily that includes steep hills. On the weekend, I walk 2 1/2 miles to the base of a mountain, hike up the mountain and back. Then I go tubing 5 miles on the Colorado River to cool off after the treck up the mountain (the cool Water also helps my butt not get too sore from going up and down the mountain). During the week I work 12-14 hour days pushing patients, holding arms, legs to do surgical prep on the patients, etc. Yes, I guess I have plenty of energy. Not bad for a 53 year old!!!!

9) Do you find it difficult to keep the weight off once you have lost it? Not sure, still loosing.

10) Do you have trouble eating, such as getting ?stuck?? No, not one time have I ever gotten stuck, vomited, developed nasty chest pain from stuck food, etc.

I regret that I wasn't smart enough to get the sleeve first. The band nearly killed me.

12) Would you do this surgery again, or would you have made another choice? I wouldn't ever think of getting a different kind of surgery. I would do this all over again in a heart beat.

THANKS TO ALL!!!

POLL QUESTION:

I am between 96% hunger cured to 100% hunger cured.

I am between 90% hunger cured to 95% hunger cured.

I am between 80% hunger cured to 89% hunger cured.

I am between 70% hunger cured to 79% hunger cured.

I am between 50% hunger cured to 69% hunger cured.

I am between 26% hunger cured to 49% hunger cured.

I am between 1% hunger cured to 25% hunger cured.

I am 0% hunger cured.

1) How long have you been sleeved? 2 weeks

2) Who was your surgeon? Dr.. Brandon Helbling, Bismarck ND

3) What were your experiences with your surgeon? Great. He does 4 leak tests before you leave the hospital.

4) Would you recommend your surgeon? Absolutely

5) How much weight have you lost since your sleeve date? 30 lbs in 2 weeks

6) What type of sleeve do you have? Don't know/forgot

7) Would you recommend the type of sleeve you have? Yes if I knew what it was

8) Do you find you still have the necessary level of energy to sustain a good workout? After the first week, yes.

9) Do you find it difficult to keep the weight off once you have lost it? Don't know yet

10) Do you have trouble eating, such as getting “stuck”? Can't eat yet

11) What is the one things about getting the surgery that you regret? Nothing actually

12) Would you do this surgery again, or would you have made another choice? Totally do it again.

Millie/Donna, thank you so much!! I really do appreciate the responses. I'm looking for something low maintenance, that actually works like its advertised it should, keeps me from feeling hunger all the time (otherwise I could just do this on my own) and keeps me from eating too much.

I literally want to eat a handful of food and be ok. I never got this from my band. Never. I could either eat way too much or nothing at all. I never had any in-between. I love the idea that you still have the energy to do your activities! That makes me :))

My hunger is 100% resolved. I do not feel hunger, my stomach does not gurgle, growl, make any noise. I have gone up to about 14-16 hours without eating before realizing "holy sh*t, I need to eat !" And, even then I wasn't hungry, I was simply out running around, and realized I hadn't eaten anything all day.

1) How long have you been sleeved? Almost 14 months

2) Who was your surgeon? Dr. Michael Michel (Major Michel USAF)

3) What were your experiences with your surgeon? He is fabulous. He is compassionate, caring, positive, and extremely supportive. I don't think I've ever been treated with more professionalism, more genuine care, and his knowledge and experience is vast with general surgery, combat surgery, and bariatric surgery.

4) Would you recommend your surgeon? I already have to 4 of my friends. 3 have had surgery, one will have surgery in August.

5) How much weight have you lost since your sleeve date? 143lbs (I lost that in less than 11 months, and have been maintaining for over 3 months at this point)

6) What type of sleeve do you have? I have a standard sleeve gastrectomy. My surgeon uses a 32fr bougie as his guide for the stapler. There is nothing special about my sleeve, it's the standard just like all the other sleeve out there between 32-40fr sized sleeves.

7) Would you recommend the type of sleeve you have? Yes

8) Do you find you still have the necessary level of energy to sustain a good workout? I have 100 times the amount of energy I had pre-op. With the first 40-50lbs loss, my energy level soared even though I was only consuming 600-800 calories.

9) Do you find it difficult to keep the weight off once you have lost it? Not at all. Maintaining is easier now that I have found a balance. For me, losing my hunger has made eating less, and making the best choice on what I put in my mouth much easier therefore I don't put a lot of craptastic, empty-calorie foods into my body. I do eat treats, Snacks, Cookies, 1/2 cupcake, chips, pretzels, but I'm not on a diet. I've made a lifestyle change and a lifetime commitment to make better choices, and feed my body "right". I actually had a more difficult time getting my weight loss to stop, but I figured it out, and apparently my body is happy at 120-123lbs.

10) Do you have trouble eating, such as getting “stuck”? Nope

11) What is the one things about getting the surgery that you regret? Not one single thing

12) Would you do this surgery again, or would you have made another choice? This is the only surgery I would have when I decided I was going to have to revise. If I could not had VSG, the band would have come out, and I would of stayed fat. NO way I'd get DS or RNY or another band. It was VSG or nothing. I fought for it, and I got it. Best decision I ever made.

1) How long have you been sleeved?6 months

2) Who was your surgeon?Dr. Aceves

3) What were your experiences with your surgeon?Fantastic

4) Would you recommend your surgeon?Absolutely

5) How much weight have you lost since your sleeve date?72 lbs

6) What type of sleeve do you have?36 oversewn, so more like a 34 according to doc

7) Would you recommend the type of sleeve you have?yes

8) Do you find you still have the necessary level of energy to sustain a good workout?much much more energy than I had pre surgery.

9) Do you find it difficult to keep the weight off once you have lost it?Still going down.

10) Do you have trouble eating, such as getting “stuck”?Never

11) What is the one things about getting the surgery that you regret?Not getting it sooner

12) Would you do this surgery again, or would you have made another choice?absolutely

First of all, THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Your post helped me a great deal! You are a perfect candidate to answer, and only because you have made it to goal. I really wanted to know how difficult is has been for some to maintain the weight loss. I'm finding it is REALLY difficult with the lap-band, no less even GETTING to goal. :,(

I also love the fact so many are coming back mentioning that most or all of their hunger has been extinguished. This is my #1 enemy. I actually do feel REAL hunger. NOT head hunger, I do know the difference. My stomach growls and I just feel tired and need to eat! I don't want to feel this anymore or very minimal. I truly beleive if that gets resolved I will easily get to my finish line.

I also like the fact you have so much energy even on a small amount of calories. I do love to workout so as long as I can sustain them on such little amount of food I will do them! Not only that I do like to eat healthy. I know a great amount of meals that taste great and are made with healthy ingredients.

With that and the more I'm hearing I do believe this may be the way to go. However, the more feedback the better! :001_smile:

My hunger is 100% resolved. I do not feel hunger, my stomach does not gurgle, growl, make any noise. I have gone up to about 14-16 hours without eating before realizing "holy sh*t, I need to eat !" And, even then I wasn't hungry, I was simply out running around, and realized I hadn't eaten anything all day.

1) How long have you been sleeved? Almost 14 months

2) Who was your surgeon? Dr. Michael Michel (Major Michel USAF)

3) What were your experiences with your surgeon? He is fabulous. He is compassionate, caring, positive, and extremely supportive. I don't think I've ever been treated with more professionalism, more genuine care, and his knowledge and experience is vast with general surgery, combat surgery, and bariatric surgery.

4) Would you recommend your surgeon? I already have to 4 of my friends. 3 have had surgery, one will have surgery in August.

5) How much weight have you lost since your sleeve date? 143lbs (I lost that in less than 11 months, and have been maintaining for over 3 months at this point)

6) What type of sleeve do you have? I have a standard sleeve gastrectomy. My surgeon uses a 32fr bougie as his guide for the stapler. There is nothing special about my sleeve, it's the standard just like all the other sleeve out there between 32-40fr sized sleeves.

8) Do you find you still have the necessary level of energy to sustain a good workout? I have 100 times the amount of energy I had pre-op. With the first 40-50lbs loss, my energy level soared even though I was only consuming 600-800 calories.

9) Do you find it difficult to keep the weight off once you have lost it? Not at all. Maintaining is easier now that I have found a balance. For me, losing my hunger has made eating less, and making the best choice on what I put in my mouth much easier therefore I don't put a lot of craptastic, empty-calorie foods into my body. I do eat treats, Snacks, Cookies, 1/2 cupcake, chips, pretzels, but I'm not on a diet. I've made a lifestyle change and a lifetime commitment to make better choices, and feed my body "right". I actually had a more difficult time getting my weight loss to stop, but I figured it out, and apparently my body is happy at 120-123lbs.

10) Do you have trouble eating, such as getting ?stuck?? Nope

11) What is the one things about getting the surgery that you regret? Not one single thing

12) Would you do this surgery again, or would you have made another choice? This is the only surgery I would have when I decided I was going to have to revise. If I could not had VSG, the band would have come out, and I would of stayed fat. NO way I'd get DS or RNY or another band. It was VSG or nothing. I fought for it, and I got it. Best decision I ever made.

Barbara, wow!! You are really kicking butt! That's what I like to hear. I'm rather tired of the slow to no weight loss with the band. I do need something that works a bit faster. I have been diagnosed with arthritis in both of my knees, and the quicker the extra weight gets off them, the longer my knees will last.

Thank you!!

1) How long have you been sleeved?6 months

2) Who was your surgeon?Dr. Aceves

3) What were your experiences with your surgeon?Fantastic

4) Would you recommend your surgeon?Absolutely

5) How much weight have you lost since your sleeve date?72 lbs

6) What type of sleeve do you have?36 oversewn, so more like a 34 according to doc

7) Would you recommend the type of sleeve you have?yes

8) Do you find you still have the necessary level of energy to sustain a good workout?much much more energy than I had pre surgery.

9) Do you find it difficult to keep the weight off once you have lost it?Still going down.

10) Do you have trouble eating, such as getting ?stuck??Never

11) What is the one things about getting the surgery that you regret?Not getting it sooner

12) Would you do this surgery again, or would you have made another choice?absolutely

I also love the fact so many are coming back mentioning that most or all of their hunger has been extinguished. This is my #1 enemy. I actually do feel REAL hunger. NOT head hunger, I do know the difference. My stomach growls and I just feel tired and need to eat! I don't want to feel this anymore or very minimal. I truly beleive if that gets resolved I will easily get to my finish line.

:001_smile:

The band never gave me satiety. I had to quit eating because my pouch was full, but I was still hungry. Physical hunger, and it didn't help that I could not eat Protein dense foods to help keep me full.

The hunger resolution is responsible for 80% of my success. The other 20% was my hellbent determination to stick to the guidelines, and then introduce foods slowly and in moderation that allowed my body to acclimate to all the changes.

Honestly, the sleeve works like a band is advertised to supposedly work. Sadly, most bandsters know all too well that it just doesn't work that way.

I truly do love my sleeve, and life post op. I have recently been forgetting that I even had surgery. Mainly because my eating habits are just that habits, and practically involuntary at this point. I know what I can eat, and how much I can consume at any given time. This makes things so much easier. I feel like I had a large portion of the learning curve with the sleeve beat because of my battle with the band.

You'll do great, and if you need anything, feel free to message me.

) How long have you been sleeved?

almost 15 months

2) Who was your surgeon?

Dr. Aceves

I loved him. I loved everyone there. I wish I could go back and visit.

Most definitely. I already have- to many people on this board who have gone to him too.

I was 167 the day of surgery and

I am 130 now. I lost it with the band, but I would have gained it all back from band compilations.

I was lucky to only gain back as

much as I did.

32 is the size. 34 over sewn to a 32

7) Would you recommend the type of sleeve you have? yes

8) Do you find you still have the necessary level of energy to sustain a good workout? Most definitely. I work out all the time. I work out hard. I love it!

Not at all

10) Do you have trouble eating, such as getting “stuck”?

Not anymore.

Nothing. I regret getting the band.

12) Would you do this surgery again, or would you have made another choice? In a heartbeat!

Irene, you're going to love the sleeve. It's like night and day with the band. I've been telling you this and I am so happy to hear you're getting closer to getting that band out.

1) How long have you been sleeved? - Not quite 8 weeks.

2) Who was your surgeon? - Dr. Aceves

3) What were your experiences with your surgeon? - Fantastic. Dr. Aceves was wonderful and I chose him because of his extensive experience and track record. But everyone I worked with was top notch. It was my best surgical experience (I've had 6 abdominal surgeries).

4) Would you recommend your surgeon? - You bet. And I would also recommend Dr. Cirangle in SF and well as Dr. Billing here in Seattle. I would have gone with one of those two if I had won my insurance appeal.

5) How much weight have you lost since your sleeve date? Since the surgery it's been about 24 pounds.

6) What type of sleeve do you have? 36f oversewn down to 34 or 32. It looks skinnier than I imagined on the x-ray.

7) Would you recommend the type of sleeve you have? I had a lap band and was successful with it until I had complications. There's no comparison between the two. With the sleeve I don't get sick, am satisfied quickly, and am never hungry.

8) Do you find you still have the necessary level of energy to sustain a good workout? Don't know yet, tomorrow's the first day I can exercise. But so far I don't have any issues with energy in general.

9) Do you find it difficult to keep the weight off once you have lost it? Don't know yet. I've had a long stall but I lost so much weight so quickly I'm not that worried about it.

10) Do you have trouble eating, such as getting ?stuck?? Never. And no nausea or vomiting. It's so much better than my band. Sweet foods don't taste very good any more and make me kind of queasy but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

11) What is the one things about getting the surgery that you regret? Only that I fought my insurance company for over a year and regained all the weight I'd lost with the band. I wish I'd just gone self-pay after the denial and fought for reimbursement after the fact.

12) Would you do this surgery again, or would you have made another choice? In a heartbeat, I'd just have done it sooner.

Denise, thank you so much for your honest replies! So far everyone who has replied has had nothing but positives! I like that, and I've also gone through the complications forums too. I will more in-depth over the next few months. That is something I'm sad to say I really didn't do with the band. Wish I had or I NEVER would have gotten it! I surely would have also noticed everyone revising to other surgeries. IMO that just isn't a track record.

It just blows me away how many think for some strange reason you can't gain your weight back with the band. Nothing is further from the truth! I really work hard too! One friend even told me I workout more than anyone else she knows... so there IS a problem somewhere.

I'm going to start a journey thread here really soon so everyone can follow along. Things are already moving fast! I want everyone to enjoy it, something I didn't do with the band either. Glad I didn't tho... lol! I would be freaking out alot of people right now.

) How long have you been sleeved?

almost 15 months

2) Who was your surgeon?

Dr. Aceves

I loved him. I loved everyone there. I wish I could go back and visit.

Most definitely. I already have- to many people on this board who have gone to him too.

I was 167 the day of surgery and

I am 130 now. I lost it with the band, but I would have gained it all back from band compilations.

I was lucky to only gain back as

much as I did.

32 is the size. 34 over sewn to a 32

7) Would you recommend the type of sleeve you have? yes

8) Do you find you still have the necessary level of energy to sustain a good workout? Most definitely. I work out all the time. I work out hard. I love it!

Not at all

Not anymore.

Nothing. I regret getting the band.

12) Would you do this surgery again, or would you have made another choice? In a heartbeat!

Irene, you're going to love the sleeve. It's like night and day with the band. I've been telling you this and I am so happy to hear you're getting closer to getting that band out.

britt, congrats on your recent sleeve! No worries on the gains, you certainly aren't the only one who gained all their weight back with the band! I only got within 2 Lbs of my surgery weight. That's when I decided I better do something NOW!! Had I hit 300 again... well... I do believe I would have gotten a bit depressed. :'( I'm not far from it though, so in the mean time I am going to keep pressing on. I'm not going to use this as an excuse to do whatever I want :svengo: Would like to though!

I heard about the sweet distaste. What a wonderful side effect! I would love to get that too! You know I was NEVER addicted to sweets pre-band, but after was another story. Funny how your body starts craving things it knows is probably the only things it can eat. It has gotten better tho since I've defilled alot and can eat food again. Only problem is I can eat too much now!

Thanks so much for your reply! You are doing fantastic so far. :)

1) How long have you been sleeved? - Not quite 8 weeks.

2) Who was your surgeon? - Dr. Aceves

3) What were your experiences with your surgeon? - Fantastic. Dr. Aceves was wonderful and I chose him because of his extensive experience and track record. But everyone I worked with was top notch. It was my best surgical experience (I've had 6 abdominal surgeries).

4) Would you recommend your surgeon? - You bet. And I would also recommend Dr. Cirangle in SF and well as Dr. Billing here in Seattle. I would have gone with one of those two if I had won my insurance appeal.

5) How much weight have you lost since your sleeve date? Since the surgery it's been about 24 pounds.

6) What type of sleeve do you have? 36f oversewn down to 34 or 32. It looks skinnier than I imagined on the x-ray.

7) Would you recommend the type of sleeve you have? I had a lap band and was successful with it until I had complications. There's no comparison between the two. With the sleeve I don't get sick, am satisfied quickly, and am never hungry.

8) Do you find you still have the necessary level of energy to sustain a good workout? Don't know yet, tomorrow's the first day I can exercise. But so far I don't have any issues with energy in general.

9) Do you find it difficult to keep the weight off once you have lost it? Don't know yet. I've had a long stall but I lost so much weight so quickly I'm not that worried about it.

10) Do you have trouble eating, such as getting ?stuck?? Never. And no nausea or vomiting. It's so much better than my band. Sweet foods don't taste very good any more and make me kind of queasy but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

11) What is the one things about getting the surgery that you regret? Only that I fought my insurance company for over a year and regained all the weight I'd lost with the band. I wish I'd just gone self-pay after the denial and fought for reimbursement after the fact.

12) Would you do this surgery again, or would you have made another choice? In a heartbeat, I'd just have done it sooner.

1) How long have you been sleeved? 7 months

2) Who was your surgeon? Dr Steven Webb, Jacksonville FL

3) What were your experiences with your surgeon? Very good

4) Would you recommend your surgeon? Yes

5) How much weight have you lost since your sleeve date? 53 lbs

6) What type of sleeve do you have? I have no idea

8) Do you find you still have the necessary level of energy to sustain a good workout? Yes, plents of energy.

9) Do you find it difficult to keep the weight off once you have lost it? I have not gotten it all off yet!

10) Do you have trouble eating, such as getting “stuck”? Sometimes. chicken has been hard for me to eat since the surg.

11) What is the one things about getting the surgery that you regret? No regrets but it does take a little while to get used to it. Believe me, when you can buy a size 10 in stead of pouring yourself into 18s, you are glad!

12) Would you do this surgery again, or would you have made another choice? This is the choice for me.

Just over 6 months.

2) Who was your surgeon?

Mark Pleatman in Bloomfield Hills, MI

All very positive

Absolutely, without reservation.

Almost 60 lbs... could have been more but I've been stalled within a 4-lb range for several weeks, at least some of which is my own fault for allowing too many carbs.

Not sure what you mean by that... do you mean what size? Mine's a 32.

7) Would you recommend the type of sleeve you have?

Meaning the same size? Yes, definitely.

8) Do you find you still have the necessary level of energy to sustain a good workout?

Yep!

Haven't lost all of it yet, still have about 40 lbs. to go (28-ish to original goal).

Nope, never.

Absolutely ZERO regrets. The most bothersome after-effect has been Constipation but that's totally controllable.

12) Would you do this surgery again, or would you have made another choice?

This was the ONLY choice that felt right to me, especially being a self-payor and the only one I'd ever do again. I also happen to think it's the best option for probably 90% of the people out there (with the DS maybe being better for people with super-high BMIs). The sleeve ROCKS!