Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long were you off work?

My husband and I (both hoping to be sleeved in the coming months) have desk jobs...so how long should we realistically expect to be off work? I know some people say just a couple of days, some people say weeks.

What's a "real" amount of time to plan to be off?

Thanks! :)

The reason you see so many different answers to this question is because it's individual. Some people bounce right back, others don't. I think 2 weeks is a good starting point because you'll at a bare minimum be on full liquids by then (or mushies/soft foods if your post op diet advances faster). It's hard to have any real strength or stamina on Clear Liquids. I think 2 weeks is also a fair amount of time to allow your body to heal and to feel safe that there will be no complications.

The reason you see so many different answers to this question is because it's individual. Some people bounce right back, others don't. I think 2 weeks is a good starting point because you'll at a bare minimum be on full liquids by then (or mushies/soft foods if your post op diet advances faster). It's hard to have any real strength or stamina on clear liquids. I think 2 weeks is also a fair amount of time to allow your body to heal and to feel safe that there will be no complications.

Ditto!! Plan two weeks to be safe. By end of week 1 you will probably think you could go into work but, unless your work allows naps, you will be feeling very tired by midafternoon. Give it 2 weeks to get your body accustomed to new energy levels.

My husband and I (both hoping to be sleeved in the coming months) have desk jobs...so how long should we realistically expect to be off work? I know some people say just a couple of days, some people say weeks.

Thanks! :)

I went back to work one week after the surgery. I would have liked to stay home longer, but they couldn't do without me. I have a desk job, too. The incision points were a little sensitive and I made sure to wear something loose around the waist. Besides getting tired quicker than normal, I did fine. I just took it easy in the evenings and didn't ask much more out of myself on workdays.

I'm going back to work tomorrow, six days following my surgery. I'm sure I'll regret it tomorrow, but I need the money to get back to college next month. Such is the life of a seasonal, "at will" employee who goes to school, I guess.

Hi. I had my sleeve done last Tuesday and was told that I should be off work for 4 to 6 weeks. The doctor stressed that it was important to give yourself at least 4 weeks to rest up to reduce the risk of damage to the stomach, hernias and also light headedness, fatigue and a lack of concentration. Hope that helps.

This differs so much by person. If you're like me, no complications, no nausea or other problems, I felt fine to go back at the 10 day mark. I'm 2 weeks out and am pretty much 100% fine. Just no heavy lifting/exercise.

I'm going back to work tomorrow, six days following my surgery. I'm sure I'll regret it tomorrow, but I need the money to get back to college next month. Such is the life of a seasonal, "at will" employee who goes to school, I guess.

Be careful and take it easy on yourself Go Kart.

Be careful and take it easy on yourself Go Kart.

Oh, I will be. They already know I'm coming off surgery and that I'll be heading home if I don't feel well.

Thanks! :confused1:

Time off work is based on the individual, I plan on taking 5 weeks off from work one reason my company will pay me for it and the second reason is I would like to stay home and get use to the new stomach and eating habits that come with it. Hope this helps!:lol0::)

I had my sleeve done 6/29 and felt great the first week. Got the dr to say I could go back to work (I work from home) about 10 days post op and THEN all hell broke loose with me. I was on some blood pressure meds that had a diuretic and I developed nausea and diarrhea anytime I drank too much (not overfilling my stomach mind you...I was drinking slowly, but after a certain amount of time I would start heaving). I got super dehydrated and had to go back on medical leave after one day back at work. I'm still off but trying to get the ok to go back this week.

Like everyone has said, it really depends on how you do, but I would plan on at least 2 weeks to be safe. Once you start being able to eat mushies, I think you will have more energy and feel better and more apt to handle going back to work. You'd be surprised how much just sitting around can take out of you when you aren't fueling your body all that well.

Best of luck to you :)

I went back to work after one week, and other than being unusually tired in the afternoon, I was fine. I work in a small office and my co-workers knew about the surgery and were understanding.

Looks like I'll be off at least three weeks. I was out 2, went in for 1/2 day and been a hurt puppy since. Everybody is different so there is not a standard. Do what is right for you.

In my opinion (for what it's worth), just be sure to drink at least your 64 oz. of Water. Sometimes when we are at work, we forget to drink. You will be dehydrated after surgery, they will pump you with fluids in the hospital, but the number one reason for hospital readmittance is dehydration. It's hard to get that Water down. It took me SEVERAL weeks to get it all down, and I DID become seriously dehydrated. I became so incredibly tired it was all I could do to get up and exercise as I was required. That is pretty much where all my energy went till I was able to get myself (several weeks later) properly hydrated.

Good luck...best of wishes coming your way.