Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone felt like they aren't...

YES sweetie I feel exactly the same as you do. Since I started at 310 lbs, and my surgeon's goal weight for me is 160, I felt like the weight should be FALLING off. The first few weeks it did and I was at -37lbs in the first month. I know that pace doesn't continue forever, but in the 2nd month I "only" lost 13 more. Yes that is -50 in 2 months and I know that's awesome but I'm like... -13 in 5 weeks is roughly 2.5 lbs a week.... that's SURGERY loss??? I could do 2.5/week on my own, ya know? But I have to realize my body is going through so much. And that it will KEEP going whereas without surgery, I would probably have given up by now. But because of surgery, there is no giving up and I just keep on plugging.

I feel maybe even more frustrated than you because not only do I eat right, stay in my calories, etc, but I **do** work out "like I should", 5-6 days a week for 30-60 mins. I have never worked this hard from both angles (food and exercise) this consistently in my life and I feel like I should be getting crazy Biggest-Loser style results LOL like 5-7 lbs a week would be nice. Oh well.

The big picture is 50 lbs in 2 months and I've never done that before... just have to keep remembering that! We just need to hang in there. I think everybody's body is different. I have heard that the longer you have had the weight, the slower it comes off.... and I've had the weight my entire life so maybe that's why. I dunno.

Chin up babe, we will get there :);)

I totally agree, the scales stopped moving for me when I started eating regular food for almost 2 weeks, then started again loosing about 3-4 lbs a month. Not gang busters, but it is still moving. I know exactly how you all feel, especially when my husband is asking me almost daily if I have lost any weight. Now I just tell him I didn't weigh. I have lost 28 lbs in 10 weeks. I keep hearing of all those who have lost 50 lbs by this time and it's hard to put it into perspective. I have started walking, I mall walk as it is too hot here to go outside. I'm loosing about like I did on any diet I've been on, 1/2 to 1 lb a week; I'm eating and feeling fuller though, before I would be starved all the time. I don't feel obsessed about food, just try and get my Protein in first, then veggies, then carbs. I have not been perfect as I can eat anything without any problems, I had to try a few things to see what would happen.. ha ha.

My doctor said most average 1 to 2 lbs a week loss, so I guess I am the lower end. I think being older makes it harder too as my metabolism must be lower than it used to be. Some days I'm so tired! Others I feel great. Can't seem to pin it down on what I have eaten or anything.

When you eat out you really have to watch how much sodium is in the food, some dishes have 4-5 GMs of salt! That is an incredible amount and you will retain Water like crazy!!!

I have been in the same boat. I'm 51 plus I only have 60 pounds to lose, so it's just going to be slower for me.

I went to my surgeon for my 4-month check up this week, and I was absolutely convinced he was going to scowl and ask me what I was doing wrong that the weight wasn't coming off faster. But guess what? He is delighted at my progress! He thinks I'm doing great and, with a BMI of 27, I am, and I quote, "almost finished." (He says his goal is to get his patients into normal BMI range, which is 25 or below, and anything below that is just vanity! LOL)

Well. Knock me over with a feather. Made me feel a lot better!

I'm averaging 4 lbs per week. Although I've been "stuck" for days at a time, but then it will kick in again. I think my body holds on because I'm taking in between 350 and 600 calories per day and it thinks it's starving!! Last week I finally figured out - UP THE Protein and I kicked it into overdrive. I'm not taking in between 65 and 90 grams per day. I lost 4 lbs in 5 days last week! It works!! I've lost 25 lbs since surgery on June 11th.

350 cal a day! 60 gms of Protein alone is 240-300 cal, my citracal liq is 40 cal, have to mix it in juice so that would be another 60 cal so I would be up to 340!!! So you are just having 3 Protein Drinks? ?? that is crazy man. If I go down that low, I get so tired I can hardly function. I mean I have to sleep, like hibernate! Guess we all have what works for our bodies.

350 cal a day! 60 gms of Protein alone is 240-300 cal, my citracal liq is 40 cal, have to mix it in juice so that would be another 60 cal so I would be up to 340!!! So you are just having 3 Protein drinks??? that is crazy man. If I go down that low, I get so tired I can hardly function. I mean I have to sleep, like hibernate! Guess we all have what works for our bodies.

Ok, I just went and looked, my protein bullets are 180 calories that I have NOT been counting. Ooops, and my Bariatric Advantage Calcium citrate are 80 calories per day. ( for all 4 ) I have a hard time counting four pills! Anyway, I drink some where between one half to a full protein bullet...but am getting a lot of protein from eggs, cottage cheese, 2% cheese, seafood, I.E. tuna, shrimp, Cod etc. I start each day and end each day with 8 oz of skim milk. The bullets pack 42 grams of protein, so I fill in with whatever I need....plus some! I have a lot of energy. Go figure, but I do need to up my calories, so I'm working on that, although, now I guess I will count the bullet! Thanks! :001_smile:

I saw my doc today and he said 3-4 lbs a week was an extremely good weight loss, but don't expect it to be like that continuously. There will be peaks and valleys. He also said the reason we lose so much pre-op is that a lot of it is Water, while post-op we are losing fat, and that takes longer. He said don't look at it as a week to week thing, look at it in the long term.

There are definitely peaks and valleys. Like I said, I've had three periods of just staying put or going up and down for four or five days. You wouldn't think in only 6.5 weeks that could happen so often, but it has! I lost so much pre-op because I cut out all bread, baked chips, two Snacks a day.....I totally changed the way I ate except I always ate a regular dinner, but no before bed snack. I had two months of pre-op dieting. I live out of state, so I couldn't go back two weeks ahead of time. I worked on it diligently and really developed some good habits. Oh, and I cut out caf. coffee, I don't know if that made a difference, but the doc wanted me off of it two weeks before hand, so I just slowly tapered off starting two months out. I would have hated doing the two week pre-op two Protein drinks a day thing, that would have been hard...I did do one a day though, and finally found something I could drink. That is also something I cut out, cold Cereal. I guess carbs were cut way down! He wanted me to lose 15 - 20 and I lost 23. I'm sure some of it had to be Water, but certainly not all of it.

I saw my doc today and he said 3-4 lbs a week was an extremely good weight loss, but don't expect it to be like that continuously. There will be peaks and valleys. He also said the reason we lose so much pre-op is that a lot of it is Water, while post-op we are losing fat, and that takes longer. He said don't look at it as a week to week thing, look at it in the long term.

I'm right there with you. I was a "lightweight"- I'm 5'5" and weighed 192.4 the day of my surgery on May 11th. This morning I weighed 159. I keep reading about others who shed extreme amounts of weight and I get frustrated. I know that I am eating appropriately, and keeping my Protein high, and calories and carbs low. I am now only weighing once a week, and I stopped journaling all of my food. Still, when I weighed this morning, I was fearful that I gained weight. I lost 2.8 pounds and was very happy. I think that my decision to be less obsessive about my weight loss it is helping my attitude.

OMG - you're doing great! I was talking to my hairdresser this week and he has several weight loss patients. He said that the ones who lose slow and steady are the ones who are much less likely to have hair issues. He said the ones who have drastic weight loss quickly are the ones he sees that have problems. My fingers are crossed. This is not a sprint, it's a long distance marathon!! =) :thumbup1:

I'm right there with you. I was a "lightweight"- I'm 5'5" and weighed 192.4 the day of my surgery on May 11th. This morning I weighed 159. I keep reading about others who shed extreme amounts of weight and I get frustrated. I know that I am eating appropriately, and keeping my Protein high, and calories and carbs low. I am now only weighing once a week, and I stopped journaling all of my food. Still, when I weighed this morning, I was fearful that I gained weight. I lost 2.8 pounds and was very happy. I think that my decision to be less obsessive about my weight loss it is helping my attitude.

Well that makes me feel better. I was also hoping that my skin would shrink up better and not be as saggy as if I lost it all in 6 mo. I had surgery so that I could make a lifelong change. I am in this for the long run and I am eating a lot better than I have ever been on a consistent basis.

I have lost 1 lb in 3 weeks and I am feeling very discouraged since I barely get 600 -700 calories a day. I am having difficulty eating at all. I don't even knowhow it is possible not to be losing.

Well, I'm pleased to report that after losing only ONE POINT FOUR pounds in June, I have lost SEVEN POINT EIGHT pounds in July! If anything, my calories in July were higher than in June, so it's all a mystery to me. I did increase my exercise in the last couple of weeks, which I'm sure helped. I'm just happy to be losing again.

So hang in there all you slow losers... it'll happen!

Sometimes you need to eat more calories to lose more weight, if it's too low your body goes into conservation starvation mode.

Jane x

Don't get discouraged, I have done the same thing or will stay the same for two weeks even going up a lb, then back down the next day. Did you read the entries after yours. It is weird what our bodies do. I don't worry about it, I know I'm not doing anything wrong. I am eating NO refined surgar, I am only eating fruits once or twice a week , as instructed by my nut. - so I'm on track. My Protein is way up, at least 60 per day, and sometimes as high as 80. Slow and steady is good....patience is a virtue, that's my motto!! :thumbup1: Hang in there!!!

I have lost 1 lb in 3 weeks and I am feeling very discouraged since I barely get 600 -700 calories a day. I am having difficulty eating at all. I don't even knowhow it is possible not to be losing.