Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gonna Pimp slap the person who invented protein powders

This crap is DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I am 5 days out from surgery and have been living off Protein powders blended with Water and whoever invented this crap was an a$$h013. I choke down 80g's worth of Protein every day and try to keep up with the Water but I feel like I am being punished for every pleasure I've ever had from food. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! I need real food with real flavor, not this gritty paste water that tastes of a$$. I don't mind that I'm on liquids, but anything but this!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHHHH.

PS - yes, I've tried a variety of the brands, all a$$. And I'm only getting in about 300 cals a day, the doc wants me at 600.

not sure if you have tried them but the Vitamin Water (zero) drinks have nice flavors.. you can mix the (unflavored) Protein powder in them and at least you will have something with more flavor than Water. Can you do Soup with all the stuff strained out? Like vegetable beef or chicken noodle? The broth would alteast have a nice taste.

Good Luck!! Let me know what you find that works! Oh and if you are going to mix Protein Powder into the Soup broth quick tip. (mix it into room temperature water first) Heat up the soup, Then add the Protein Powder and water mix. It will keep it from curdling. :)

I am on the pre op diet and having been mixing the Protein powder with diet juices such as diet V8 juice. I did mix the vanilla with low sugar orange juice and it tastes exactly like an orange julius. I am not much on milk and I have heard that aren't not too good with Water so this is what I have came up with. Hope it gets better for you. I am doing the pre op liquid diet for 3 weeks which sucks period....lol :)

Globetrotter, I know EXACTLY how you feel! I felt the same way the first 10 days post op when I was on clears. The only thing that got me through was ramen noodles without the noodles. And the unflavored Protein mixed with the ramen broth tasted like broth with crackers mixed in it, not too bad. By the time I could advance to full liquids, I was seriously about ready to hurt someone for a cheeseburger. But it does get better. If you can make it through the clear stage, the protein is better when mixed with milk. I tried several different protein powders and the ONLY ones I can stomach are the 100% whey protein from GNC in chocolate and vanilla. Mostly just the chocolate. Hang in there, it will get better.

Edited by nurse_ally

Ughhhh I know how you're feeling! I mixed my Protein powders with Silk Light Soy Milk and wow what a difference!

I really, really, really recommend that you go to

Vitalady.com - Protein supplements, Vitamins & Minerals, and Safe Snacks! and try samples of the different protein powders.

They offer protein powders that you can blend with Water and they are refreshing beverages not just creamy (I was sick of creamy protein shakes).

Well, good luck!

Lovingly,

monica:001_tongue:

When I went for my 6 week checkup, I was asked by the MA how I was doing with the Protein shakes, and I gave her the gagging look. She laughed and said that all of her patients give her a similar look.

I missed chewing !! My taste buds had changed temporarily, and the shakes that I drank on my preop tasted like gritty poop to me after the surgery.

I also took the broth out of the Ramen Noodle packs, and made broth with it. For Protein, I just kept trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel. My taste buds finally came back, but not till about week 5. Until then, most everything tasted awful.

I still (at 3 1/2 months out) struggle with protein. I have to have 70-75 grams a day, and that's pretty hard for me to do with food. I have to have a shake or two to make it to that number. Don't like it though.:lol0::001_tt2:

I absolutely hated the clear Liquid Protein I had in the 1st phase. I went to a whey Protein in milk after that and didn't mind it at all. I still use it now to make my protein count. Sorry I don't have any good suggestions, but I understand how hard it is to drink something that makes you want to gag!

update on the crap-powder situation: thank you THANK you to everyone who gave me suggestions, such as using the flavor packet from ramen noodles. Today I bought lime shrimp ramen and drank the flavor packet - yum!!!! And hello campbell's beef consomme! At 10g's of Protein it isn't high but the concoctions the surg sent home with me are only 15. So ... is french onion a clear liquid? If I take out the onions?

have you tried the EAS low carb shakes, they are really good, i am 5 weeks post op, on a mushy diet but these shakes are great, i really enjoy them, they are better than any other Protein powders i tried, yeah, they are gross!

Hi Globie, Loved the rant, made I larf, the drinks really suck don't they. I have just finally thrown away a huge container of a particularly expensive fruit flavoured one I bought in desperation in the early days, it was so vile I cannot even to start to describe the cheesiness combined with the synthetic flavourings!

The Atkins ready made shakes are nice but pricy.

Jane x

Thanx Jane, as a matter of fact I am at this very mo drinking an Atkins dark chocolate royale shake. though I find it lacking in the royale it is so far the best chocolate-adjacent bev I've tried. I'm also sipping on some miso broth. I must confess though that I am doing HORRIBLY in regards to Protein and liquids consumption, I'm barely making 50% on the 60oz Water and maybe 60% on the 70g's protein. There just don't seem to be enough hours in the day or ounce space in my pouch. Not to mention the excruciatingly gross taste of the protein powder that ruins broths instead of being disguised by broth. I wonder if this lack of calories/protein is why I have yet to lose...

Edited by Globetrotter

Hi Globoie, You probably have lots of swelling and Water retention goin on inside you. As soon as that the weight will drop. Its the immutable laws of physics so hang on in there mon brave.

Jane x

I tried a couple of Protein shakes - ewwwww - like fishy wallpaper paste, in consistency and in taste - I gagged it all down the sink, I'm afraid!

Interestingly, my surgeon told me yesterday to go on to chopped up normal food (I'm 4 weeks out). I mentioned Protein Shakes and additives, and he said he would rather I got my Protein from food rather than additives. He also told me I was drinking too much milk. I have such a craving for it at the moment, and suggested to him my body needed it... he said it was a 'head craving' and to cut down!

He is going to a Bariatric conference in California in September, so it will be interesting to chat with him when he gets back... the French/European approach is sooo different from that of our US friends.