Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What happens to the staples?

Ok Sleevers I am having a problem understanding what happens to the staples after being in th body for long periods of time. Does the stomach heal? If so, why cant dissolvable sutures be used, If the stomach does heal, does it grow scar tissue around the staples and close completely, does the body ever reject the staples, and how long can i live with these foreign objests (staples) in me?:thumbup:

That's a great question. I would like to know the answer as well. My doctor also mentioned that I will not be able to take Advil or any inflamatory medicine.

Titanium staples and other surgical implants are the most common and most tolerated world wide.

The stomach tissue heals completely around the staples and they are not visible. I've flown, and been scanned with military grade metal detectors several times without every setting any of them off. I also have 2 titanium large screws in my left knee that have been in there for the last 17 years without issue.

Suturing tissue can not give the same closure, and seamless healing process that stapling gives. Plus, there are usually three tiny rows of staples in the stapler that are shot simultaneously into the tissue.

My dad has had knee surgeries, pins, and other titanium implants for decades upon decades without issue.

I actually post pictures of the inside of my sleeve. If you aren't squeamish, check out youtube.com for the actual surgery videos. If you'd like I can share my pictures with you so you can see what a sleeve looks like at 8 months out. I had my gallbladder removed at 8 months post-op, and my surgeon decided to scope me at the same time.

The stomach will never regain its original size with the sleeve, the part of the stomach that is removed (80% or more of the stomach) is the stretchier part, but the remaining stomach will have minimal stretchability--at about 1 year post-op you will probably be at the maximum size of the new stomach just able to hold a few ounces of food.< /span>

On the staples issue-Titanium staples have been used for years in many surgeries, they are not new to the sleeve and they will far outlast the human lifespan.

Edited by Swiftflow

I have serveral pins in my ankle and i've never had a problem, infact my bones grew over the pins.

Thanks to all. Tiffykins yes i would like to see your pics after 8 month sleeve.

Swiftflow, I saw your U-tube video and you have done amazingly well. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, thanks to all for all the wonderful input! It has all been helpfull!

My stomach holds the same amount of food right now at 13 months out that it did at my 8 month gallbladder removal. My surgeon believes my stomach is at full capacity. There is not enough tissue left to stretch, and the part that remains is not as stretchy as the fundus that is removed.

The actual staple line:

img001.jpg

Inside of the sleeve looking down from the bottom of the esophagus(imagine looking down into a cylinder).

img002-2.jpg

Hope these help ! ! !

Amazing Tiffykins.

Jane x

Thank you for sharing. amazing. very interesting.

First of all, this was the biggest question of mine about vsg so thanks for the topic and i want to thank Tiffykins for the pictures she posted. As far as i understood from the pictures (please correct me if im wrong), the staple line is covered by a tissue.

So does it means, even if few staples come off there will be no leak because its already covered by a tissue? Am i right about this?

Also the tissue around staples seems pretty thin. does it get thicker?

I know these questions have to be asked to surgeons, not sleevers but anyone might know the answers so thanks in advance.

Best wishes from Turkey. :)