Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Sleeve Sept 3rd, Very Nervous

First operation,2 months to go, getting very anxious and nervous. Have diabeties, wake up alot at night, thirsty, always drink Water. Can not drink from that evening till surgey, makes me very uncomfortable. Maybe i am thinking to much about surgery, want to do this , but don't want to get there and want to leave.

You will do just fine! If you read this site, it will help calm your nerves - that worked well for me because I had so many questions. Best of luck!

Knowing what to expect is half the battle. Just remember why you want this surgery. More than likely it's to make yourself healthy. WE CAN DO ANYTHING IF WE PUT OUR MINDS TO IT. You are going to do great. :thumbup:Remember that!!! Please keep us updated with your progress.

Deb

Is your blood sugar controlled? I didn't think you'd have that ongoing bad thirst if it was.

I am also very nervous as I haven't had a major operation before, but I have to focus on the end result. I need to do this.

Nervous is normal. I think each of us has experienced that. Try to remember you're taking a positive action to improve your life. Most times to get the best life has to offer, we have to work hard, experience discomfort, yet continue to move forward. You will do fabulously, and when you're feeling better and losing weight, you'll be able to share with others how "worth it" it all was.

just so you know when you are NPO for surgery you usually can have Water up to three hours before surgery. water leave your stomach very quickly especially if you have not had any food for several hours. i would just ask your doctor if you can have a drink of water during the night if you wake up thirsty. i am a RN and this is what we tell our patients. hope this helps. kelly

:thumbup: I'm Sept 7th!!! I'm very excited - I've been under before so that is OK with me - I handle anesthesia very well - its like a very deserved nap - I wake up feeling warm and fuzzy and sleepy (they wrap you up in heated blankets....sighhhhh)

You are going to do great - I wish I had picked sleeve as my original surgery and was having it done on a virgin stomach - my complication rate is statisitcally higher because I've had a band for 5 years but you know what.........its still worth it!!

You'll do great and can tell me how easy it was when I go in a few days after you!!:w00t:

I was really concerned about the Water too. Not just before surgery but the whole thing with no being able to drink water an hour before and after you eat etc. You see, when I had thyroid cancer 7 years ago, the radiation that I had to have all but destroyed my salivary glands so I have very little saliva in my mouth. I have to sip on water constantly to even be able to continue talking. It's pretty inconvenient but being cancer free is worth it! I talked to my surgeon about this and he said to not even worry about it that I can continue to take sips when I need them. I am going to try hard to not drink too much water before surgery though.

Don't worry about all the rules you see, the reason for the Water limitation is you will just get full quicker, so what you might have to eat smaller meals more often. I am in week 22 and eat whatever I want and drink with my meals and I have lost 101 lbs as of today. If you go to my blog and read my story of having the surgery you will see what I went though. Short version I never felt the surgery ever, in and out in the span of 4 hours. I would do it over in a second all the thoughts I had about not doing it were not founded. This is truely the way to go..... Good luck in your journey and take lots of pictures and you will see your self melting.

I guess I will have to break down and take pictures. I just hate the camera right now when I am carrying around an extra person. . .well maybe a small extra person (100 lbs)! But you're right, it will be very rewarding to watch the amazing shrinking woman appear before my very eyes!