Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was warned before I had surgery that hiccups when full is one of the side effects of this surgery.

Does anyone else do this? Does it ever go away? The minute my tummy gets full...I do one or two loud hiccups. It's a bit embarassing.

:confused1:

I don't know about it going away, but I can relate. When I eat too much I get the hiccups. For me they last about 10- 15 minutes and are rather uncomfortable (though not painful). They are significantly stronger than any pre-sleeve hiccups I have had before. Luckily it has only happened a few times!

At 13 months out, hiccups are still the only true "full" signal I get. They are more easily contained at this point, but they haven't gone away yet.

At 13 months out, hiccups are still the only true "full" signal I get. They are more easily contained at this point, but they haven't gone away yet.

I call my sinle hiccup my warning signal...I stop eating immediately!!

I get the hiccuping as well, but two of the other full signals my surgeon talked about were runny nose and sneezing. It sounded crazy to me, but I sneeze like a fool when its time to stop.

I don't get hiccups... but I'm not sure if thats just because I have gotten used to sensing when I am full and don't get too full.... so don't hiccup.... not sure.

Do those who get them feel themselves getting nearly full before the hiccups start?

I only get about 5 bites of food at the moment before the filling sensation starts for me, restriction is quite tight (bougie 32f).

I don't get hiccups... but I'm not sure if thats just because I have gotten used to sensing when I am full and don't get too full.... so don't hiccup.... not sure.

Do those who get them feel themselves getting nearly full before the hiccups start?

I only get about 5 bites of food at the moment before the filling sensation starts for me, restriction is quite tight (bougie 32f).

I didn't get a full signal for months on end and that is why I was adamant about measuring my portions.

I don't get hiccups that last more than a couple of minutes, and I do not "feel" stuffed, or overly full. I feel satisfied, and still comfortable.

I rarely allow myself to feel "full or even nearly full". It's not a feeling that I find comforting anymore. That feeling used to be something I loved to get, but now, not so much. If I get too full, which it does happen on occasion, then I'm pretty miserable and find myself walking around, and drinking more fluids to get things moving. For me, I'll be eating my portions, and then all of a sudden get a hiccup. NO warning, no sensation of being full or stuffed. I did learn that if I tried to take a couple more bites in between hiccups, it'd lead to that "one last bite" too many and then I'm uncomfortable. I hope that makes sense.

The hiccup is my sign that I'm full and I don't take another bite, to do so would mean being miserable and possibly getting sick. I am almost a year out and the hiccups don't happen every time I eat, but they still happen. It's really not that bad. My mom who was also sleeved gets a runny nose which I think is worse than some cute little hiccup. (by the way I have only ever hiccuped once or twice at a meal and they are not any bigger than presleeve hiccups)

Hiccups and a runny nose sound way better than a big ole burp! :( I don't know how I"m gonna manage that when I go back to work. I do a pretty good job of stopping eating before I get that uncomfortable fullness most of the time, but I still get the burps even if I'm not stuffed. Will continue to work on making my burps sound more ladylike...:thumbup1:

I am with you. I start feeling like I have to burp and know I cannot take one more bite.

I used to call this "Stage II" (stage one is eating...stage two is it getting stuck, hiccups and not being able to speak for 5 minutes) it goes away for the most part. though last week i ate some salad and out of no where it happened. my girlfriend was shocked she said "you havent done that in months?!" but it lasts a while...chew very slowely...very! and you'll be fine.

OH NO this is the first I have heard of hiccups as a post surgery full sign, I am in so much trouble I get hiccups quite often now and i am not sleeved yet (nothing to do with being full) I cant immagin getting them when ever I eat cuz when I get them they are rough ones and they last for EVER and if I get them one time in a day I will get them 10 more times.....

I get hiccups regardless of eating or not. I am 2 weeks post op and I get painful hiccups randomly, whether I am sipping a liquid, eating a mushy, or doing nothing at all.