Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My stiry with Dr Aceves

Day 1 was LONG the flight was an experience!

Ernesto picked us up right in time. He is very polite loads your bags for you.

The drive to Mexicali was crazy! They drive a lot different here very wild. The were

so many mountains and high rocks. The drive was about 1.5hrs. When we got to the hospital they drew blood, collected urine did a EKG and Chest Xray. Met with the anesthesiologist, he is very nice and welcoming. He explained everything very well.Spoke good English he just talked really fast:) Then off to the hotel. It was AMAZING! It was like a little resort.Had 3 nice places to eat, Italian, mexican, coffee shop. The pool was fantastic! Take your suit I didnt know about the pool so I was so disappointed I couldnt get in. We were allowed a last meal and I had mexican of course! YUMMY Dr Aceves came to the hotel to meet with us (Can u believe that:) to go over the process and what he expects from us ect. He spent about an hour there with us. Then off to lay down and we had a 5.9 earthquake!!! It was a little scary but way cool!!! I just cant say enough about the hotel it was SO NICE. So day 1 is an A+++++++

Day2

Picked up at the hotel right on time 0700. Taken right to my private room. Has a nice leather couch for the husband to sleep on. The floors are large beautiful tiles and the bathroom is very nice with a tile shower and it is private so I loved that. They gave me a shot in my abdomen (blood thinner) and my machine for my breathing exercises after surgery.

The wait was long as I ended up being the last of the day. When she finally came in and gave me my "happy" pill I was so excited, I knew it was finally almost my turn! They came to get me. I got on the OR stretcher and they wheeled me to the OR. Every one is the room said hello and told me they would take good care of me. Then out I went. I had a spinal so when I woke up in recovery I couldnt move my legs. It lasted a long time too. I couldnt go back to my room until I could move them so I tried and tried until finally I could. They wheeled me back to my room. At this point I was feeling ok. About an hour or two afterwards I became very nauseous! I was dry heaving badly and the nurses must have heard me because they came in right away with meds. I had another episode of that again that night but then that was it. I slept ok that night. Dr Aceves came in that night to check on me and told me I had a wide hiatal hernia and that he had repaired it for me.

Day 3

I drank the blue dye which wasnt near as bad as I though it would be. Passes that! YAY So then they brought me in some apple juice, it was so good but I had a really hard time getting anything down. I walked some and visited with other patients I had met. It was a very uneventful day.

Day 4

Today I got some chicken broth, it went down SO much easier that the cold juices. I also had the other leak test, now that was VERY nasty, yuk!! Dr Campos was present and told me I was having some spasms and thats why I had been having a hard time getting stuff down. He said it was probably due to my hernia surgery, BUT I passed the test. No leaks and got to see my tummy. They also took my drain out. It was weird not really that painful just uncomfortable and strange. I felt so much better when that was out. I took a shower and felt like a new person. We walked over to the pharmacy to get our RX'x for home.

Day 5 HOME! The flight home was brutal! We had a total of 19 hours of travel time from the time we left the hospital to home.

Now extra tidbits and helpful hints...

Dr Aceves/Dr Campos both came in twice daily to check on me and educate me. They were never in a hurry and always very friendly. My only complaint about the hospital was the beds were very uncomfortable but I think that is true of all hospital y in Protein before because you probably wont like it after. Stock up in Popsicle's, Jello, chicken noodle Soup (to strain) and diet gatorade before you go. Overall I give my experience with Dr Aceves a 10. He is very professional and runs a tight ship. The staff was great! They do this daily and know what they are doing. When you push that call light they are there right then. I am so happy to be done with the surgery so I can move on to the losing! Good luck to anyone thinking of doing this. If I can help or answer any questions about Dr Aceves or the experience please email me.

i agree with you totally. Dr. Aceves and Dr. Campos are truly everyone's best option. Thanks for sharing your experience. Congrats and goodluck on your new journey to weight loss.

Sounds like you had a wonderful experience. I am thrilled for you. Best of luck as you recover.

sam... congratulations on getting the sleeve. so glad you posted. it is nice to have an RN experience with dr aceves. i sure look forward to joining you on the looser bench. kelly

I am glad everything went well , I am considering Dr. Aceves for my sleeve , can you tell me how much you paid $ ?

Good to hear you had a great experience there. I hope there is no earthquake while I am there! A lot of those lately but hopefully those faultline things will stay in place. :-) I won't get home until midnight so I will have a long travel day as well. Thanks for sharing.

Awww, I was there with Dr. Aceves on July 1, I know this will sound crazy but I'm jealous that you got to experience an earthquake! I've always wanted to feel one, and here in Oklahoma they're VERY rare. My experience was wonderful as well, and I pray your recovery is as uneventful as mine is :(