Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long must I take protein drinks?

You'll need to be aware of how much Protein you're getting daily...but you certainly can be getting the bulk of your protein through solid foods within 4-6 months of your surgery. (At least, I do).

Once I hit mushies/soft solids, I was able to get all my Protein grams from food. I never used Protein drinks because I couldn't tolerate any of them. After over 20 brands, flavors, and varieties, they either made me puke, or I couldn't stand how they tasted, smelled, or were just disgusting, so I gave up until I hit mushies, and never had to worry about using them again.

My surgeon generally wants all his patients off of them within 8 weeks. He prefers his patients get their Protein from food sources as soon as possible.

Why don't they make Protein pills that we can take?

For protein to be assimilated properly by the body, it needs amino acids, and other ingredients to truly be useful. If it were that easy to get protein to absorb and be useful, we'd all be happy campers. But, the size of the pill for protein to be worth a darn, would be the size of your fist.

I have tried muscle milk drinks those are pretty good my mom uses them when she trains for marathons and the kids try to snatch em from her fridge. I am going to try having one of those a day and maybe a Protein Bar that doesnt have a cart load of carbs or maybe just one of the two. That way I know I will be getting the Protein. I have never been a huge meat eater and I am having a hard time imagining eating beef (other the ground) for a long while. Beans however are a favorite of mine and Peanut Butter is delicious on an apple or a spoonfool in a bowl of sweetened oatmeal.< /p>

and the liquid diet begins....yeaaaaaa im so excited!!!!

I think condensed Protein will be a part of our lives from here on out; whether it be a shake or powder or bars, I think there will always need to be a stash in a cupboard. If I were to get all of my protein from food sources, even responsible protein-first choices, I would be at least 200 calories over my surgeon's recommendations.

Once I hit mushies/soft solids, I was able to get all my Protein grams from food. I never used Protein drinks because I couldn't tolerate any of them. After over 20 brands, flavors, and varieties, they either made me puke, or I couldn't stand how they tasted, smelled, or were just disgusting, so I gave up until I hit mushies, and never had to worry about using them again.

My surgeon generally wants all his patients off of them within 8 weeks. He prefers his patients get their Protein from food sources as soon as possible.

Would you mind sharing a sample of your mushy/soft diet? I don't mind the taste of Protein Drinks, but I'd like to get as much of my protein from "real" foods as often as possible. I start soft foods in two weeks so I'm trying to plan now and gather some soft food recipes that are high-protein. Thanks!