Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have surgery in 1 week. In 2 days, I'm going to all the required appointments (nutritional, psych, exercise, pre-testing, Upper GI, etc.....all in one day!).

I'm trying to do as much research as I can. And I know that I will be ordered to drink Protein drinks.

Since I haven't been to the appointments yet, I haven't been told how much and what to drink. I'm sure they'll tell me, but until then, I was just wondering a few things:

What exactly is the average that I'm supposed to drink a day?

After surgery, when exactly do I start on the Protein Drinks?

Also, I found a drink called NAKED. They have all sorts of flavors, but one is a Protein Drink. It's a juice smoothie. Here are some things off the label: (per serving which is 8 ounces)

--It's flavored with apples, bananas, orange, pineapple and coconut.

--No sugar added

--Fat - 2g

--Saturated Fat 1g

--Trans Fat 0g

--Cholesterol 30mg

--Sodium 140mg

--Potassium 480mg

--Total Carbs 34 g (Diety Fiber 0g, Sugars 28g)

--Protein 16g

The taste is like a very thin and 'grainy' tropical milkshake

Would I be able to drink this? Is this drink 'allowed'. I bought one today and I think it would be better than the vanilla and/or chocolate ones.

Any advice would be wonderful.

Sawree,but my dietician advised us to consume ONLY Protein Drinks that are 100% whey Protein isolate. Avoid collagen-based drinks. Just look on the label it will probably be listed as the third ingredient if it has collagen in it. She told us the collagen was not as healthy for us. She also wants us to drink protein with calories less than 200 per scoop, protein at least 20 and carb MUST be less than 6 grams per scoop. My dietician gave us a list of available websites to purchase samples. Here are two. Unjury.com and Bariatriceating.com plus she said do not want us buy large amounts before surgery because more than likely your tastebuds are going change, so what you like before surgery you might like after. Again this is what my nut said. Yours might be a little different. The drink u bought tho definately has waaay to many carbs. Hope this helps.

Deb

I have surgery in 1 week. In 2 days, I'm going to all the required appointments (nutritional, psych, exercise, pre-testing, Upper GI, etc.....all in one day!).

I'm trying to do as much research as I can. And I know that I will be ordered to drink Protein drinks.

Since I haven't been to the appointments yet, I haven't been told how much and what to drink. I'm sure they'll tell me, but until then, I was just wondering a few things:

What exactly is the average that I'm supposed to drink a day?

After surgery, when exactly do I start on the Protein Drinks?

Also, I found a drink called NAKED. They have all sorts of flavors, but one is a Protein Drink. It's a juice smoothie. Here are some things off the label: (per serving which is 8 ounces)

--It's flavored with apples, bananas, orange, pineapple and coconut.

--No sugar added

--Fat - 2g

--Saturated Fat 1g

--Trans Fat 0g

--Cholesterol 30mg

--Sodium 140mg

--Potassium 480mg

--Total Carbs 34 g (Diety Fiber 0g, Sugars 28g)

--Protein 16g

The taste is like a very thin and 'grainy' tropical milkshake

Would I be able to drink this? Is this drink 'allowed'. I bought one today and I think it would be better than the vanilla and/or chocolate ones.

Any advice would be wonderful.

I lived off that particular Naked drink for approx. 3 months maybe longer. If it weren't for THAT drink I would have been in the hospital for lack of Protein. It was the best find and the ONLY drink out there that I could tolerate. I sipped it at first it would take me an entire day to finish a 20 oz bottle. I did live on it and my nutritionist and surgeon were fine with me drinking it since I was repulsed by every other drink out there and I tried them all. Isopure made me wretch and I returned all four bottles after only one siip of one of the flavors. Any of the whey protein mixes made me wretch too. I was eventually able to use Solgar pure vanilla bean "Whey to Go" mixed into warm farina type, or cream of wheat Cereal about month 4 and that was when here in LI, NY they stopped supplying the Naked protein drink to the stores. I loved it cos it had provided alot of whole fruit nutrition as well as whey protein and the carbs didn't have any effect on my weight loss. I lost so much weight so fast. I hope you will like it after you have the surgery. Best wishes.

Go to the food section of this forum and look for a thread I started called places to get samples. You don't want to get too much of anything because what you like now, you may not like after surgery.

you are better off to get some samples to try after surgery to see what you like. Some people like the nectar drinks which are not milky like the other Protein drinks.< /strong>

It looks like it is loaded with sugar and carbs. You may want to be careful of that, even if they are natural sugars and no sugar added.