Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beef-cheese rollup

This is so simple I'm almost embarrassed to post it, but it was a big help to me during my low carb preop diet. I plan to try it again soon now that I can tolerate more foods in my postop diet.

All you need is the boxed "Steak Um" frozen beef slices (in the frozen meats sections) and some string cheese. I used the pepperjack cheese. You can use any cut of cheese but the string slices seemed to just fit right in.

Fry one serving of the steak um patty in a pan. They cook really fast so stand there with it while it cooks. You can season the meat as it cooks. I used Lawry's seasoned salt and pepper. Turn it over when it browns on one side. When the second side is done browning, remove the pan from the heat and take the cheese slice and place it toward the end of the steak um patty. (Steak Ums are rectangular shaped.) Then, roll the steak um around the cheese until it looks like a little wrap. The heat from the meat will melt the cheese and make it nice and gooey. You can bite right into it. Yummy!

Some people may prefer to pat some of the grease off the meat before rolling your cheese into it. Also, if the cheese was real cold, I would lay it in the pan for a quick minute before rolling it into the meat just to get the melting process started.

Hope someone is able to enjoy this.

This sounds wonderful. I am going to the store this a.m and get some as I'm having a party for a group of people who have had WLS surgery tonight. THANK YOU as I didn't know what to fix that wasn't the same ol, same ol!!!!!!:thumbup:

Mary, thanks for this recipe!

I actually had some Steak Ums on Thursday so this is very timely for me. I was surprised at the amount of protien in a serving and the box will certainly go a long way for us. My husband cooked me 2 slices and that was way two much so 1 slice is the perfect portion not to mention how quick and easy they are to cook. Looking forward to trying your suggestion.

Mary,

I did a "test" run of these so it would go well for the party tonight. I sauteed some onions, mushrooms, and green peppers. Then I put one of the steaks in the skilled and cooked it like you said. When the meat was done, I put a slice of white american cheese on it, a little bit of the vegatable mixture, rolled it up and ate it. OMG it was so good. Tasted like a philly cheesesteak sandwich without the bun. YUMMO!!!! Thank you so much!!!

I was reading your thread just before I went to the grocery store. Guess what I came home with???? !!!! I'm still on liquids - start purees on Monday. I can't wait to try this. It looks so good. Thanks for your posting !!

Mary,

I did a "test" run of these so it would go well for the party tonight. I sauteed some onions, mushrooms, and green peppers. Then I put one of the steaks in the skilled and cooked it like you said. When the meat was done, I put a slice of white american cheese on it, a little bit of the vegatable mixture, rolled it up and ate it. OMG it was so good. Tasted like a philly cheesesteak sandwich without the bun. YUMMO!!!! Thank you so much!!!

Hmmm...I need to try this with the sauteed veggies. That sounds great. And some Heinz 57 on the side sounds good too.

Thanks for mentioning this. I forget items that are easily portion controlled and tend to get stuck in a rut eating the same things over and over. This is a good idea and I can think of a few ways to use Steak Ums...

I am definately going to try this. Would it be terrible to roll it in low fat tortilla though? I have to have some kind of carbs just not that much.

I'm going to add those to my list. I have two kids who I'm always looking for something other than chicken nuggets to feed. Thanks for the suggestions!

BTW let me say I have never heard of this item, perhaps it's a regional thing but don't feel bad posting something so "simple" as it has given some of us new options to continue on our way! :tongue_smilie:

Oh, my goodness! That sounds so yummy and easy. Been fretting trying to find different "concoctions" to eat at 3 mos out so both versions (string cheese and sliced w/veggies) sounds great! Anybody done the slice turkey or ham with low-fat cream chesse spread? I saw that somewhere and wondered about it.