Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 wks post opt. update (2 weeks late)

I LUUUUVVVV MY SLEEVE!! :001_tt1:

So I went to my 8 wk. appt. 2 weeks ago & I had lost a total of 32 lbs.! Sounds good right?? Well the first 30 pounds pretty much happened in the first month. So I had only lost 2 pounds the second month. So after a big lecture my doctor told me I wasn't eating enough foods. I was shocked!...not enough foods. My intake has been 600-800 cal/day. He instructed me to eat more Protein to uptake my caloires so I did. Within a week I had lost 4 more pounds! It was hard to get it all in because I am pretty full all day.

What's interesting is my tale tale sign that I wasnt eating enough protein....I was getting hungry...no FAMISHED every 2 hours. So I would eat a tiny bit of yogart or something low cal/low sugar and I would get full pretty fast but was wondering why I was starving 2 hours later. My doctor is great...he recognized the culprit immediately. Now that I've been eating dense Proteins I feel totally stuffed for 3-4 hours and sometimes longer if I eat steak.

I even started to think I was in a stall even though I felt I was eating right and working out 5 days a week at the gym (1 hour cardio/ 30 min weights). I've been out of town for a week now so I don't know if I lost anymore weight yet. But I did bring along my beef Jerky to snack on instead of the sugar laden Snacks that my employer offers throughout the day.

I go to see my doc. next month for my 3 mo. post op. So far so good... 37 pounds & counting =0).

I should update my ticker...:)

SW/CW/GW

307/270/140

Edited by agives130

I am really interested to read your post because I am at 7 weeks and in a similar situation. I lost 37 lbs the first month, and now I'm 3 weeks into my 2nd month and have only lost 4 more. I too am eating 600-800 cals a day and exercising usually 5 days a week. Perhaps it's just not enough calories. I already feel like I'm eating more than I "should" not that there is really a should but just how I feel. Maybe I'm so used to depriving myself with dieting :) I think I will try to up my Protein intake and calories and see if it helps to get things going. I appreciate this insight. Also congrats on how well everything is going for you!

I haven't had my sleeve yet but I will tell you on my most sucessful diet I was eating 1200 calories a day and working out and losing about a pound a day consistantly. I bet with a little bump up in your calorie intake your metabolism will start burning more.

You are doing great.

And I agree it is an interesting concept.

Please keep us updated and let us know how you're progressing and if increasing your calories on a regular basis continues to help.

When you don't eat enough Protein and are not losing weight, is that when your body is basically feeding off your muscles?

If so, that's scary cause your heart is a muscle.

Note to self: Don't skimp on the Protein after surgery! :blush:

On the 800 calorie per day comment, I do not think that applies across the board, I am 5' tall and don't need as much as someone who is 5'5" or 6'. I average about 650 calories a day and I get plenty of Protein (at least 70 g a day). So I am not starving my muscles in the least.

My surgeon said my calorie intake should be 600-800, in that range and the focus is on the amount of Protein that I take in each day.

I think we will all get different advice from our doctors but just want to make sure that we don't make any general assumptions cause we all are different.

At this point, 800 calories would make me pop! Or if I could get 800 calories in, it would be from foods that are high in calories and probably high in fat and carbs.

I too was given the 600-800cal a day guideline. As long as you meet your Protein requirements, your body is not feeding on muscle. I also work out a lot and build muscle... so I'm pretty sure I haven't just lost 41 lbs of muscle over here :)

Is anybody using Protein Bars to get their Protein in? I CANNOT stand any of the drinks! Lactose intolerant and tried to get the Isopure down. Eck! Found thesei "Pure Protein" bars with 20g protein in them. They do have 180 cal but since my calorie count is so low, I don't think they will affect me. They also only have 2g sugar. Also, tell me what you guys are eating at this stage. I am right at 6 wks post op - 35lbs down - but having trouble it seems to me getting more dense stuff down. One day works - next day same thing - nope! Not eggs - tuna salad sticks - had PB on VERY toasted slice of bread - did good for couple days - next day - threw it up. Any words of wisdom? lol

This is what I call the right post at the right time!!

I have been on vacation for one week already and will not be home for another week. Been having a pretty hard time making sure I am getting enough Protein while being on vacation. I did get cottage cheese, greek yogurt and some Soups at the store so I could have things in my mini fridge in the hotel. I also brought some Protein Drink mix, chocolate Protein shakes and Protein Bars for the times when I was out and about and knew I would be eating out with family. I'm really proud of how I have done so far and its been nice not having a scale too. Using the fitness center almost every night and getting a lot of walking in while sightseeing. I am just 5 weeks out of surgery and have a few more options to try as of today so will go grocery shopping soon :blush:

However, I have a feeling I may not be getting enough calories in per day. I will take a closer look and start journaling my food on all of the remaining days of my vacation. If I don't have a significant loss when I get home, then I will call my doctors office and speak with the nutritionist.