Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very near goal - so now what?

I'm a little over 8 months out (started at BMI 36 before my VSG, having previously dieted down from BMI 46 and am now at BMI 23.8) and starting to try to taper off the weight loss. I've been eating a little more the past month, 1500 calories or so per day, and have still lost the same 3-4 pounds as the previous month. Weight loss was very rapid at the beginning and is now clearly tapering off. I've read about others continuing to lose weight even when increasing calories gradually so I was prepared for this, and still want to lose 10 pounds or so. I can't believe how well everything has gone!

I'm mostly wondering about a couple of things: I do have some excess skin, how much do you suppose that weighs? I'm aiming for a BMI of about 22 but of course I have no idea what my normal weight is so I'm shooting from the hip here. Should I factor in for the excess skin and if so, how much? I don't know if anybody has that info or would hazard a guess.

I'm 39 and though there is some loose skin around my lower belly I've come out surprisingly all right in that area, I think. I'm not comfortable wearing short shorts, knee-length yes, and have been seen in a skirt (with tights!) ending a couple inches above my knees. My arms have really firmed up well (I'm doing Pilates weekly) and I'm trying to get more exercise done now it's so easy to move.

For anybody just considering having the surgery, I'd say definitely go for it. It has been one of the best decisions of my life. And I'm really glad I found my way to this forum: I don't post a lot but I've read a lot of the info and it has helped enormously. To each and every one of you: thank you!

So now what? I go on with my life, healthier, happier and half my size six years ago. I'm still a work in progress in other ways, but I think I've got this particular problem out of the way. I'll still continue to watch what I eat, make sure I get enough Protein and weigh myself weekly, and look forward to the rest of my new, healthier life.

Edited by Jolanda

My doctor said depending on where the excess skin is located, I could contribute about 2-5lbs to excess skin. I am flabby in the thigh, arm and tummy department. If I'd get off my lazy arse and work out, I'd be firmer, but I hit a size 6 and said "ehhh screw it". I know that is "wrong", but it's true. Plus, I had gallbladder surgery, and just kind of screwed off after that, never got my work out mojo back.

I plan on changing that soon, and getting back on program. I have a "baby fat roll" on my lower abdomen, it's fat, and skin and I would venture to guess that is where the 2-3lbs of my excess skin comes from. I try to figure it out by comparing a bag of flour or sugar, and it's lighter than the 4lb bag of flour in my cupboard, but it's heavier than the one pouch of oranges I bought last week.

Yes, I am weird, and sit there weighing the oranges vs. my flabby skin.

Congrats on being so close to goal.

And, yes, to answer your "now what?" question. You just kind of go on living, and being healthier and happier. It's kind of weird huh?

I sometimes literally forget I've had surgery. Eating the way I do is just normal now, it doesn't seem "different".

Thanks Tiffy - yeah, aren't we all a little weird! I've done odder things than that (I'm sure, though at the moment of course I can't think of any...) But ok, then I'll factor in about that 4-5 pounds when I work out my ideal weight. Or then I just eat a little more and see where it stabilises. I've really been losing weight from the top towards the bottom and do have fat still in my ab and thigh and butt area. But I can actually feel the muscles below. Strange...

I've actually reached the point where sometimes I catch sight of my reflection in a shop window or something and don't recognise myself immediately, by the way. It's weird.

Mary, I have no idea, probably - I haven't weighed this little since my early teens so I've no idea what the correct calorie intake is. I'll see how it goes.

First of all, congratulations on your success! You've done amazing! :confused1:

For me, when I was close to goal I started trying to add in more meals. I never restricted any foods, so I never had to add in any foods back to my diet...but I did add in more meals/snacks. I still lost & honestly, continue to lose. Even though it's super slow (maybe 1lb a month) I'm still losing and I'm below my goal weight. I'm trying to stay around 125lbs, but will be okay anywhere between 115-130 lbs...

It is like Tiffy says, you just go on living life. I find my eating normal now where it was very strange at first. I do things on instinct now where I had to work at it early post op. I live life like a normal, thin person. It's wonderful. It's the life I always dreamed of! food doesn't rule my life now, I do! :svengo:

Good luck. I know you'll do great.

Congratulations!! That must feel incredible!! I hope to join you soon on the loser bench! :svengo: