Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling all Nurses.....

Hi all!

I'm an ICU nurse in California. I remember well, LapGirl, the 'fun' of my tight (and ever-growing tighter) clinical uniforms, the unforgiving polyester straining... and being SO goddamned uncomfortable. (In fact, I remember a bunch of us wanting to burn our student uniforms at the end of the last clinical, but telling my classmates that they would probably just melt and send off toxic fumes!) As far as I'm concerned, you're welcome on this thread!

Being a nurse is incredibly physically demanding (as we all know) with all of the reaching, bending, squatting, lifting, standing, crouching (is there a single hospital architect who has EVER become aquainted with the word, "ergonomics???"). Having to do all of this for 12-13hrs is getting increasingly debilitating. Everything hurts! My angel of a huz stretches me and gives me a massage just so I can sleep after a work day (I swear I come home 2 inches shorter!). I just don't know how many more years I have left at the bedside before my body just can't take it orthopedically.

I'm 40 now, and my body just cannot handle this much weight. It never liked being this heavy, but now it's starting to go on red alert with high cholesterol, high A1C, my feet, knees and hips in agony, and a nice episode of going in and out of ventricular trigeminy (now controlled with a beta blocker). Short of having an actual MI, CVA or official diagnosis of diabetes, my body is screaming at me to get this weight off (oh, and thanks also to my pre-op testing, I now know I have an ulcer and GERD!). To further underscore the urgency of my situation, we want to start a family, and my husband REFUSES to knock me up while I'm this overweight. He's done his research, and he's absolutely right. Frankly, I doubt my own ablility to conceive at this weight. He doesn't want to risk either my health or that of the baby. Frankly, I can barely haul myself around as it is, much less a pregnancy and all of that physical stress on top of it. As I mentioned, I'm 40. The time on my biological clock is about 11:50PM.

So, my sleeve is re-scheduled (first date was cancelled due to a small area of erosion discovered in my EGD- now on Prilosec) for the 3rd week of August. I started at 257lbs, and am now 248. I'm working out intensly with a trainer 3 days a week to get myself in optimal shape before surgery. My goal is 145-150. I can't wait to get the VSG, but also to recover and get back to the gym and lift weights again. I'm sure I'll sag, but I'm going to have crazy muscles underneath! Good luck to all!

Edited by pcindy

EmilyGrace, you are the first person I've seen that has the same surgery date as me! I finally have a sleeve sister lol.

pcindy, I can't wait to order scrubs in a smaller size! I'm going to hang on to the ones I have for as long as I can then purchase new ones that will last till graduation. That's the plan anyway.

Best wishes everyone!

I'm 39yrs old had a bandin 2007 that almost suffocated me. had it removed and was sleeved June 21st this year I'm an OR nurse in NewOrleans la I return to work on the 19th of this month my highest at was 251 my lowest with the band is 209. In June pre op I was 232 currently I'm 217 my goal is to see parts of my anatomy that fluffy has keep hidden without having to hold up body parts or use a mirror

Hi all....I'm Randa and new to the forum. I am an RN and work nights in Cardiac Intervention. Basically after someone has a heart cath and gets a stent we pull the lines and recover them. I am overweight and ahve been for over 10 years now. I am scheduled to have the sleeve done with Dr. Aceves on August 21st, and can't wait!! I can't go any sooner b/c my hubby works offshore 2 weeks every montha and that is the only date that would work for all of us. I got my passport today (before i had to pay the increased amount...lol), and that just made it feel one step closer!!! I have researched WLS before but never had the means to pay out of pocket, but it's really happening this time and i'm so excited!!

Nice to meet you all,

Randa:thumbup:

Hello fellow nurses,

My name is Rebecca and I'm currently an Lpn working in geriatrics in Massachusetts. I'm having my VSG in Mexico on 08/09/10 and I'm getting really excited to make changes in my life.

Hi I am Kelly, 43( 44 in august) I have been a RN for the past 21 years. First three years in med-surg and the lost 18 years in ICU with some ED thrown in. I currently work in Tucson AZ in the MICU. I have struggled with my weight for most of my life. About 14 years ago I was able to loose all my weight and keep it off for two years. Then slowly it creep back on.... then one day shocked that I had regained all of my weight. I have tried and tried... can loose 20-30 lbs then gain in back. I have a BMI of 32 ( I am tall so I still need to loose 70-80 lbs) with RA for the past 24 years. So with obesity and RA those 12 hours shifts in the ICU..... it is getting harder.

I am aslo a new mom.... thirteen years of infertility...we had a gestational carrier carry our daughter (9 months one week old) and have a son due to be born in about 5 weeks. Super excited.... therefore many reasons to loose weight. My original plan was for the sleeve in August... now the date is pushed back to late October or November. Sure look forward to joining the looser bench. kelly

hi all. i am from buffalo, ny. i have been a nurse for about 26 years. I have worked in icu, ccu and education. currently i am a manager of an icu. i have always been overweight. i was banded 2 yrs ago and lost 70 lbs with the band. unfortunately i developed a prolapse, had the band removed and got the sleeve on june 28th. ive lost about 12 lbs since getting the sleeve. my highest weight was 254lbs, today i weighed 172 lbs. my goal is 135 lbs..never thought id get there with the band, but i think it really is possible now

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 3 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

3. NickelChip

I think it's important to remember that the weight charts and BMI ranges were developed a very long time ago and only intended to be applied to people who have never been overweight or obese. Those numbers aren't for us. When you are larger, especially for a long time, your body develops extra bone to support the weight. Your organs get a little bigger to handle the extra mass. Your entire infrastructure increases so you can support and function with the extra weight. That doesn't all go away just because you burn off the excess fat. If you still had a pair of jeans from your skinniest point in life and then lost weight to get to the exact number on the scale you were when those jeans fit you, chances are they would be a little baggy now because you would actually be thinner than you were, even though the scale and the BMI chart disagree. When in doubt, listen to the jeans, not the scale!

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches