Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling all (TGVP) people!!! new procedure

Joan,

Dr. Watkins is fantastic! You know immediately when you speak with someone that they care about what they do and want to really help and this is Dr. Watkins and his staff. My surgery went very well. My surgery was at 9:15a and I was home by 1pm. Once I got to the surgery center and they started my IV the doc and anesth both came in and spoke with me and my family at great length and joked around to put me at ease. I am now 4 days post-op and feeling pretty good. The first day, I had a lot of air in the body cavity so I walked around the house and was able to get rid of this within a few hours. Second day went grocery shopping with my mother. Probably walked a little too much. Third day was feeling it a little more but it was due to the day before and I think I did more than I should. Today has been a good day with little to no discomfort. I am worn out due to little calorie intake other than Water. I have no appetite and I don't even think about food. I hope this helps Joan. Are you too going for the GP's? I wish you the best and keep me informed.

I forgot to mention that I am having the plication. Thanks so much for the info. It has made me a little less apprehensive and much more excited! I can't wait I am so glad to hear that you have no appetite. That was one of the things I was worried about. Keep me posted and I'll do the same.

I'm home....feeling great....not hungry, no pain.....

I've updated my blog....you guys could take a look.....

I detail my experience at hospital in TJ, have a few pictures and will update continuously....Fat Woman on a Mission

I'm glad I had this procedure, my Dr. was so nice and knowledgeable and took time to answer all my questions....

I got into hospital Wed. night, had surgery Thursday afternoon, and left hospital at noon on Saturday....Drove (well I rode) home 6.5 hours.....sipping on gatorade 03.....

I am actually having the Gastric plication tomorrow. It is new and very few doctors are doing this procedure yet. This is what I know about it. My doctor, Dr. Brad Watkins of CWLC in Ohio has started to offer this procedure. He does not agree with Gastric bypass and won't even do this surgery. His focus has been on the Lapband and now the plication.

Although, the cons are that there are not years of statistics, you have to admit there wasn't years of statistics with the band in the beginning and look at it now. The upside to this is that I will have no fills, no erosions, no leaks and no port. As mentioned there is a hormone Ghrelin produced however there are 200 more hormones just like this that we haven't even started to name them. With this procedure just like banding this does allievate some of this issues. We all have to remember that this is a tool and not a quick fix for either procedure. What I do like about it, is that it is reversible just like the band. If for whatever reason you might have to take out the stitches the stomach will go back to it's original size. However, as Doc Watkins has said it's a little more indepth seeing that it isn't exactly like take out the seam in your pants but the stomach will go back to normal.

I think like with all surgerys there is a concern factor however, I know that if I continue to stay on the path I am now, I won't have a future. For me this is the right procedure but everyone must make their own decisions based on what is right for them. I also, trust Dr. Watkins judgement. If he wouldnt do gastric bypass because of the downside to it....he would not do this surgery if he thought there was a downside. They believe that this is considered the happy marriage between the both. I have also read many many people who are unsatisfied with the band because of leaks, erosions and dialation not to mention not losing. There can be a number of reasons for this. I have also read many many great success stories and I believe that we will soon see many great plication stories as well.

I hope no matter what procedure one chooses that they choose one that best fits them. We are all on this path together and we were brought here because of one thing. I don't believe that one is better than another but I do believe that with research you will find the best one that fits you.

Good luck to all.....I will keep you posted. This time tomorrow I will be on my journey to a knew healthier way of living.

Becca,

I think you did a great job researching this fairly new surgery beforehand and made sure that your doctor explained things clearly. It sounds like you're doing well already in the postop phase.

Dr. Watkins,

Thank you for taking the time to post answers to some of the question that we have been discussing about the plication procedure. There seems to be some misleading info or terminology from at least one other surgeon about this procedure as it compares with the vertical sleeve ("super sleeve") and that has caused some animated discussion in our forum. It's good to know that you are providing detailed, accurate, and honest information to your patients.

Hi I am new to VST and so thankful for ALL OF YOU! I feel like you've helped me avoid landmines (especially those who have had revision surges - thanks so much for sharing!!) I want to find out everything I can about Gastric Plication Surgery. 1) Where & when did it originate? 2) Approximately how many people have had this surgery worldwide/US? 3) Please tell me your experience if you had it.. 4) Any links to articles I can research? (Found a few, but hungry for more..) 5) Anything about PRE & POST OP diet I would love to know.. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I am 34 with BMI of 32, got about 60lbs to lose. My parents are obese and I've been told another 20lbs=diabetes most likely for me. I have tried to eat way less and make my stomach smaller..it is helping, but I am realistic that it definitely isn't the same as surgery. This new procedure sounds perfect and like a decision made much easier! I've been considering WLS for about a month now.. How long does the average person take to think about it and then schedule?

Thank you again!

Hi I am new to VST and so thankful for ALL OF YOU! I feel like you've helped me avoid landmines (especially those who have had revision surges - thanks so much for sharing!!) I want to find out everything I can about Gastric Plication Surgery. 1) Where & when did it originate? 2) Approximately how many people have had this surgery worldwide/US? 3) Please tell me your experience if you had it.. 4) Any links to articles I can research? (Found a few, but hungry for more..) 5) Anything about PRE & POST OP diet I would love to know.. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I am 34 with BMI of 32, got about 60lbs to lose. My parents are obese and I've been told another 20lbs=diabetes most likely for me. I have tried to eat way less and make my stomach smaller..it is helping, but I am realistic that it definitely isn't the same as surgery. This new procedure sounds perfect and like a decision made much easier! I've been considering WLS for about a month now.. How long does the average person take to think about it and then schedule?

Amy,

Hi, I am Becca and I am almost two weeks post-op. I have had the Gastric Plication and I only have great things to say about it. To understand it from a doctors point of view......my doctor, Dr. Watkins posted some comments about the Gastric Plication that I think you will find very interesting. It's I believe, on this site and in this forum.

Now, my point of view. Here is what I can tell you from a non professional view. The pro's......It's reversible, I have all my organs, no foriengn objects in my body, more weight loss with no worries of leakage, erosion, and slipage. The cons.......No long term data but as I have said on more than one occasion this was true for all other weight loss surgeries before plication and you see where we are now. My understanding is that this I believe started in Greece but they have done a lot of these and I should say very successfully in Mexico. You will find a lot of info on the web with a doctor in Mexico performing this procedure.

Now, the hardest part for me, of course, was the two week liquid diet and everyone on this site and other sites will tell you it depends on the doctor you have will depend on what pre-op diet you will get. Yes, you should follow it.....this is for your safety and your liver's safety. So far the two weeks liquid I have lost about 8lbs and my first week after surgery I lost 18lbs.....total of 26 in 3 weeks. I am a much larger person than you and weight loss will vary depending on how good you are and of course the surgery you choose. I am now in my two weeks of mushie stage which is so it gives my stomach a chance to heal. I can eat about 4 ounces at each meal but you do not push any more. If you do it hurts and believe me you will only do it once. It's a fillness like no other. But with that said it's a fillness like no other and you aren't hungry either. What most people have to fix is the mind. Our great doctors can fix the tummy but the mind is on you. There is very few restrictions on food with this procedure and as I tell everyone I am so happy I chose this one but YOU have to find one that fits you best. Read the good the bad and the ugly. Please research your doctor, make sure you can trust them, make sure that they are there to answer ALL questions even the small ones and make sure that you are ready for a change. Amy this is going to be a journey of your life and it will be well worth everything that you had wished for. I have been waiting a long time for this and I am glad I waited because this procedure was meant for me. Good luck to you and let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi Becka, thanks so much for your reply. Yes, thank God for this forum, I realized that I didn't want the type of surgery where food gets stuck and have foreign objects in my body. Was really looking at regular vertical sleeve, especially if with ghrelin reduction factor. It does seem like those who have had their VSG say they get less hungry. But it was really interesting to see what your doctor said and I can help but wonder about all the other hormones we don't know about. This might be of interest, in one video clip, it shows studies that ghrelin levels were LOW in BINGE eaters and OBESE! So go figure.. Ghrelin Study and Weight Loss - Watch WebMD Video At any rate, I was finding it hard to get the courage to do the VSG (like I should try one more time on my own to loose weight - but really, my family is all obese so I just want to have surgery so I can live my life now and have a better qualify of life.) But I am feeling like I am ready to go with plication! And that is why I wanted to talk to you.. You said so far you feel very full? I know it is so soon, but do you think you feel full longer then you did before surgery? Did your Dr. address when you can have carbonated drinks? Are you allowed to have, let's say, a completely flat diet coke? If not now, when? Do you feel fine digesting dairy or do you have any heartburn issues? Thanks so much!

Amy,

I am 1 1/2 weeks out. I had my surgery 2 weeks ago in Mexico, at Angeles Hospital with Dr. Corvala.

I think the surgery started in Iran/Greece. There have been some studies in Brazil and here in the US at the Cleavland Clinic.

I was scheduled for the VSG, and then started reading about the Plication and about 1 1/2 weeks before VSG I changed my mind and opted for the Plication.

My Dr. has me on 2 weeks liquid, then I start 1-2 weeks mushy and then slowly start introducing solids....I'll try and PM you the diet post op.

You can follow my progress on my blog..

Fat Woman on a Mission

Also, Angeles Hospital has a webinar that you can sign up for. From others I have talked to it is very very informational and it answers a ton of questions. I haven't seen it, like I said, I changed my mind and plowed through.

http://www.angeleshealth.com/procedures/weight-loss/gastric-sleeve-plication.aspx

I did pre-op for about 1 week, it is for your safety and to shrink your liver, but it also may be that with your BMI you may not have to do this. It's for us "BMI over 45" I think (I am at 49.5...still short of 50). I lost 10lbs the first week post op.

I am happy with my decision, I haven't felt hunger, not like olden days I need to eat or I will kill hunger. I am eating/drinking my Soups and Protein shakes. I probably get in around 600-700 calories a day.

My insurance won't cover WLS, and I had start treatment at Angeles Hospital in Tijuana. If I had to have any other elective procedure, plastics or anything like that, as long as the Dr. I chose had rights at this facility I would go back in an instant.

Surgery is a personal decision, but I felt way more comfortable keeping all my bits and pieces. If for whatever reason in the future I have a "need" to undo, I can. I don't think I will.

It is a journey/marathon not a sprint. But I also have over 120lbs to lose. The nutritionist and Dr. Corvala all seem to think that I can hit 100lbs loss by around 7-8 months, which to me seems unbelievable...but it's one week at a time for me.

Good luck on your journey, and feel free to PM or post here if you have any questions..

CK

Hi Becka, thanks so much for your reply. Yes, thank God for this forum, I realized that I didn't want the type of surgery where food gets stuck and have foreign objects in my body. Was really looking at regular vertical sleeve, especially if with ghrelin reduction factor. It does seem like those who have had their VSG say they get less hungry. But it was really interesting to see what your doctor said and I can help but wonder about all the other hormones we don't know about. This might be of interest, in one video clip, it shows studies that ghrelin levels were LOW in BINGE eaters and OBESE! So go figure.. Ghrelin Study and Weight Loss - Watch WebMD Video At any rate, I was finding it hard to get the courage to do the VSG (like I should try one more time on my own to loose weight - but really, my family is all obese so I just want to have surgery so I can live my life now and have a better qualify of life.) But I am feeling like I am ready to go with plication! And that is why I wanted to talk to you.. You said so far you feel very full? I know it is so soon, but do you think you feel full longer then you did before surgery? Did your Dr. address when you can have carbonated drinks? Are you allowed to have, let's say, a completely flat diet coke? If not now, when? Do you feel fine digesting dairy or do you have any heartburn issues? Thanks so much!

Hi Amy. I haven't had my surgery yet, but I did want to welcome you. I am scheduled for Aug. 6 with Dr. Watkins (same as Becca) in Cincinnati. Keep us posted on what you decide. Joanie

Amy,

I am glad you sent the Ghrelin Study. There is a lot of should I say tit for tat on this site regarding this hormone. I will say that I trust my doctor. We don't have long term studies for this surgery but we do have about 3 years and we are extremely successful. Now what I know......My doctor has said no carbonated pop one because think of it as a canister under pressure. Over time it will explode...now we won't explode but we could dialate our stomach. They say the part of the stomach that we are left with is harder to stretch but i just don't want to take a chance. Some do and seem to be fine but I wouldn't. I had to pay this out of pocket and I just don't want that chance. My doctor did state that if the pop is flat you have taken the carbonation out of it but again that would be your decision. My doctor while fixing my stomach he fixes everyones reflux problem as well. His feeling is, if he's down there he as my's well fix that problem too. Again, I have a fantastic doctor. You might want to ask your doc about this. I had reflux extremely bad and now NONE! Diary is no problem. I do have fullness longer. It's amazing that when I am hungry I am famished but 4 ounces later and I am stuff beyond belief. It does last a lot longer. I can it at 9am Breakfast, again at 1pm and again at 6pm and be happy. Each only about 4 ounces. I hope this helps. Keep sending all the questions you have. I am more than happy to at least give you my opionion on how I feel.

Becca

Thank you ALL of you for answering my questions. I will be private pay (I guess like everyone who gets Plication). Do any of you know how many Plications Dr.Watkins has done and what package he charges? It looks like Dr. Corvala has done over 50. Those are the two Drs that I am considering the most right now. I have started reading your Fat Woman On A Mission Blog and I think it's great! Any and all of you, I would eat up any info you can your experiences with Hospitals/Drs. Whoever it was that had a bad vibe from one particular Dr, can you please PM me and tell me who and why? I have never had surgery before so I want to try to anlyze best I can. I live in the South, and there is a Dr. in FL that I think does it, but I want to go to someone with a few surgeries under their belt.

Has anyone had shoulder pain from the gas they put in your stomach? Just curious.

Also did most of you go see your regular Dr. for a physical first? I am think that might not hurt.

I am loving the fact that you all seem to be staying full! I wouldn't be suprised if any one of you get a call from Oprah or one of the Doctor shows.. to me, this surgery is wonderful!

For any newbies..

I think I found the IRAN orgination..

Mary Ann Liebert, Inc. - Journal of Laparoendoscopic & Advanced Surgical Techniques - 17(6):793

Thread about Brazil Studies

New procedure Gastric Sleeve Plication as a Revision for LAP-BAND? - LAP-BAND? Surgery and LAP-BAND? Discussion Forum

Thank you ALL of you for answering my questions. I will be private pay (I guess like everyone who gets Plication). Do any of you know how many Plications Dr.Watkins has done and what package he charges? It looks like Dr. Corvala has done over 50. Those are the two Drs that I am considering the most right now. I have started reading your Fat Woman On A Mission Blog and I think it's great! Any and all of you, I would eat up any info you can your experiences with Hospitals/Drs. Whoever it was that had a bad vibe from one particular Dr, can you please PM me and tell me who and why? I have never had surgery before so I want to try to anlyze best I can. I live in the South, and there is a Dr. in FL that I think does it, but I want to go to someone with a few surgeries under their belt.

Has anyone had shoulder pain from the gas they put in your stomach? Just curious.

Also did most of you go see your regular Dr. for a physical first? I am think that might not hurt.

I am loving the fact that you all seem to be staying full! I wouldn't be suprised if any one of you get a call from Oprah or one of the Doctor shows.. to me, this surgery is wonderful!

For any newbies..

I think I found the IRAN orgination..

Mary Ann Liebert, Inc. - Journal of Laparoendoscopic & Advanced Surgical Techniques - 17(6):793

Thread about Brazil Studies

New procedure Gastric Sleeve Plication as a Revision for LAP-BAND? - LAP-BAND? Surgery and LAP-BAND? Discussion Forum

The last time I checked on Dr. Watson's stats, he had done five plications. No one in the US is going to have very many under their belt. Dr. Watkins is charging me $10,000 for self pay. Dr. Cottam in Utah is charging around $6300, but I just couldn't get him to call me back in a timely manner. I waited two weeks for a phone consultation, and he never called. Then I waited another week, and he never called. When I did finally speak to him, he said he would have someone in the office call me, but no one ever did, so I called Dr. Watkin's office, and they were on the ball! I think Dr. Cottam is a good doctor, but I wanted to do this and I didn't want to wait any longer. It would have also been another six weeks before the surgery, because they have a catheter made specially for that patient and it takes six weeks after they order it. Dr. Watkins is going to Utah to scrub in with Dr. Cottam next week and to share information with each other.

There is a doctor at the Univ of Fla that is doing them, but when I called his office, I got the run around. I was never able to get any info. It may be different now, because that was over a month ago.

Yes, I did have a physical with my doctor who did all my blood work, and Dr. Watkins will be using that information. The office said they didn't want to repeat blood work if they didn't have too. They will let me know if there is anything else they require when I see them on Thurs.

Thanks for sharing the info that you find.

Amy,

I am the same as Joanie......however, I had let my first doctor go after NOT being real happy with her or her staff. I found Dr. Watkin's because a hospital member suggested him and said he was great. I went into their office one day in tears. I was so frustrated by this other doctor and when I walked in this office was a 360 degree turn around. They were so kind in Dr. Watkins office and so helpful. Everything was explained thoroughly. I was able to transfer everything I had done already to them. Which was great.

My suggestion is I believe both Cknorte and I have had two great doctors. You might want to call them both and just talk and ask questions and then you can make your decision on what is the best for you. There is no right or wrong just what is best for each one of us.

I have spoken to Cknorte as well, and she sounds like her doctor was fantastic and had a great experience as did I.

As for physical, I did have one done just because of my size but it was not required. I think they could tell if something was going on by the blood work that is required.

Becca

Hello I had my GPS wed the 21st in TJ by Dr Rodriquez and I think a panel of DRs. The 2nd day was my worst day I slept most of the day , I have been on the go since 3rd day post op, nobody can believe I just had major surgery. i allready have so much more energy and feel great My clothes are getting loose im down 20 LBS from pre diet and post diet.

My experience in TJ was awesome, My DRS and Nurses treated me very well I have nothing but good to say. Dr Rodriques saw me going to get my post op X ray and gave me a big hug , 2 Drs came to my motel at 10:30pm day 2 post op just to check on me and make sure I was taking my meds, they thanked me for trusting them. My anisthiesioloigist held my hand pre surgery she could tell I was nervous, All the belight staff (Patient facilitators)were great, My personal one that I had first contact with was very sweet and helpful, a little absent minded, but all the others I had contact with were awesome and very knowledgble.the hospital INT was modest but sufficient. My driver Roberto was a kick kept life interesting almost feel like he is a bud................... so my experience gets a 9 3/4 out of 10

Edited by ellenmarie60