Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling all (TGVP) people!!! new procedure

Hi VSG family!!!

I thought that I would post a thread for all members that had or is considering the TGVP procedure. I thought it would be a great idea for us to share our thoughts and experiences. I know of only one person so far. If you all know of any others please tell them to respond. Thanks VSG family!! :scared0:

I had the TGVP with Dr. Rodriguez July 1. All is good!

Thanks for sharing!!! If we could only track down the others!! LOL Thanks:thumbup:

I plan on launching a community just like this one specifically for sleeve plication. I'll post more info here in a few weeks.

I'm confused about TGVP. Some are calling it plication, some imbrication. Is there a difference in the two terms, and if so, what is the difference?

The thought of it being reversible is of course attractive, but would there not be damage to the stomach after being pleated for a while? Have they successfully reversed TGVP and patients had no complications? I'm scheduled for VSG...of course just now seeing TGVP and my last minute nerves are jangling...what if I have selected the "wrong" procedure? I know what I'm doing is the right thing, but what if a better choice for me would be TGVP?

Any explanations will be greatly appreciated. What little I can find online is rather limited.

I'm confused about TGVP. Some are calling it plication, some imbrication. Is there a difference in the two terms, and if so, what is the difference?

The thought of it being reversible is of course attractive, but would there not be damage to the stomach after being pleated for a while? Have they successfully reversed TGVP and patients had no complications? I'm scheduled for VSG...of course just now seeing TGVP and my last minute nerves are jangling...what if I have selected the "wrong" procedure? I know what I'm doing is the right thing, but what if a better choice for me would be TGVP?

Any explanations will be greatly appreciated. What little I can find online is rather limited.

All the information is very limited, and most of the stats/studies that are out have excluded a number of the participants. There just isn't enough data yet.

I posed the same questions as you about the damage being done to the stomach after suturing and pleating for how many ever years.

My other issue is the ghrelin producing fundus is still intact.

Imbrication and plication from everything I've read are the same procedure. The POSE procedure seems a little different from the information I've read. But, for me it's too close to the ROSE procedure being offered to RNY patients, and the failure rate long term with the ROSE procedure is extremely high that most RNY/revision surgeons aren't even offering it any longer.

Best wishes in your research.

The POSE is not the same as the TGVP. You can watch several videos of the plication surgery on YouTube. Just search "vertical sleeve plication." Watching the videos of both the gastrectomy and the plication helped me make my decision to have the plication.

I plan on launching a community just like this one specifically for sleeve plication. I'll post more info here in a few weeks.

Alex, thanks for doing this. Keep us posted on when the site is up and running.

I am actually having the Gastric plication tomorrow. It is new and very few doctors are doing this procedure yet. This is what I know about it. My doctor, Dr. Brad Watkins of CWLC in Ohio has started to offer this procedure. He does not agree with Gastric bypass and won't even do this surgery. His focus has been on the Lapband and now the plication.

Although, the cons are that there are not years of statistics, you have to admit there wasn't years of statistics with the band in the beginning and look at it now. The upside to this is that I will have no fills, no erosions, no leaks and no port. As mentioned there is a hormone Ghrelin produced however there are 200 more hormones just like this that we haven't even started to name them. With this procedure just like banding this does allievate some of this issues. We all have to remember that this is a tool and not a quick fix for either procedure. What I do like about it, is that it is reversible just like the band. If for whatever reason you might have to take out the stitches the stomach will go back to it's original size. However, as Doc Watkins has said it's a little more indepth seeing that it isn't exactly like take out the seam in your pants but the stomach will go back to normal.

I think like with all surgerys there is a concern factor however, I know that if I continue to stay on the path I am now, I won't have a future. For me this is the right procedure but everyone must make their own decisions based on what is right for them. I also, trust Dr. Watkins judgement. If he wouldnt do gastric bypass because of the downside to it....he would not do this surgery if he thought there was a downside. They believe that this is considered the happy marriage between the both. I have also read many many people who are unsatisfied with the band because of leaks, erosions and dialation not to mention not losing. There can be a number of reasons for this. I have also read many many great success stories and I believe that we will soon see many great plication stories as well.

I hope no matter what procedure one chooses that they choose one that best fits them. We are all on this path together and we were brought here because of one thing. I don't believe that one is better than another but I do believe that with research you will find the best one that fits you.

Good luck to all.....I will keep you posted. This time tomorrow I will be on my journey to a knew healthier way of living.

Gastric plication and gastric imbrication are describing the same operation. The ROSE procedure is an endoscopic stitching for gastric bypass patients that have regained weight due to stretching or dilation of the connection between the gastric pouch and the small intestine.

As opposed to the sleeve gastrectomy whereby the stomach is made into a tube using staples (and the stomach is removed), the plication (or imbrication) creates a sleeve by folding the stomach in on itself and then stitching to keep it folded in on itself. Your entire stomach is still there, it's just folded in on itself with stitches to keep it there. No staples. No cutting. No stomach removal.

I have not seen ghrelin studies on gastric plication but plication patients do describe profound appetite reduction and they get full on small amounts of food so it appears to be a very good weight loss tool. Ghrelin reduction comes mainly from pressure, stretching the wall of the stomach, which occurs when the stomach volume is smaller. Ghrelin appears to be a small part of a very complex appetite mechanism of which we only have the most superficial understanding.

In my mind the only downside to the plication is that we just don't have that long-term data with hundreds of thousands of patients over ten to twenty years like we have with the bypass or the band. There is two year data out of Brazil that shows plication weight loss in the 60% excess weight loss at 2 years which compares favorably to other successful weight loss operations.

We performed our 5th plication this morning. Three were band patients that converted to plication and two were primary plication patients (plication done as the original operation). To date, I have been very pleased with the satiety the plication causes and the associated weight loss. We call it the GPS (Gastric Plication Surgery).

GPS is very different from the VBG (vertical banded gastroplasty) from years ago. VBG was simply stapling a small pouch in the upper part of the stomach. GPS (plication) creates a small tube out of the entire length of the stomach.

Hope that helps

Brad Watkins MD

Gastric Plication Surgeon

Cincinnati, OH

For anyone interested in GP's, Dr Watkins was my doctor who performed my surgery today. I hope that any of you are interested or have questions, CWLC is a great place to start. The ladies there are exceptional, sweet and after a bumpy start with another doctor......they swooped (Diana) in an made me feel sooo great. Dr. Watkins is well known and you can research him on the internet. The best thing I love, about him, besides his intelligence regarding weightloss surgery, is the fact that he treated me like a real person. He will answer any question and takes time to listen. There are many great doctors out there, but If you live close to Ohio and want a great doctor, that is focused on helping those of us who struggle with obesity, Doctor Watkins is my top choice. Of course I am bias lol

Good luck to all and my prayers are with you.

For anyone interested in GP's, Dr Watkins was my doctor who performed my surgery today. I hope that any of you are interested or have questions, CWLC is a great place to start. The ladies there are exceptional, sweet and after a bumpy start with another doctor......they swooped (Diana) in an made me feel sooo great. Dr. Watkins is well known and you can research him on the internet. The best thing I love, about him, besides his intelligence regarding weightloss surgery, is the fact that he treated me like a real person. He will answer any question and takes time to listen. There are many great doctors out there, but If you live close to Ohio and want a great doctor, that is focused on helping those of us who struggle with obesity, Doctor Watkins is my top choice. Of course I am bias lol

Good luck to all and my prayers are with you.

Becca, I am scheduled for surgery with Dr. Watkins on Aug. 8. Can you tell me what your experience was like and how are you doing?

CK and Mel, how are you doing?

Joan

Joan,

Dr. Watkins is fantastic! You know immediately when you speak with someone that they care about what they do and want to really help and this is Dr. Watkins and his staff. My surgery went very well. My surgery was at 9:15a and I was home by 1pm. Once I got to the surgery center and they started my IV the doc and anesth both came in and spoke with me and my family at great length and joked around to put me at ease. I am now 4 days post-op and feeling pretty good. The first day, I had a lot of air in the body cavity so I walked around the house and was able to get rid of this within a few hours. Second day went grocery shopping with my mother. Probably walked a little too much. Third day was feeling it a little more but it was due to the day before and I think I did more than I should. Today has been a good day with little to no discomfort. I am worn out due to little calorie intake other than Water. I have no appetite and I don't even think about food. I hope this helps Joan. Are you too going for the GP's? I wish you the best and keep me informed.