Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi,

My name is Kate and I am in the verrrry beginning stages of the process. My doctor expects me to be sleeved late September or early October. I am nervous, scared, and full of questions. I would love someone who has been there, done that, and got the bumper sticker too :biggrin0:! If anyone wants to chat and provide some support, I would greatly appreciate it.

I am 26, live in Houston, and have been with my partner Alisha for 1.5 years (she is hoping to have the surgery after me). I would love to talk to either someone around my age or a parent-type mentor. Basically, anyone! I have Facebook, yahoo, AIM...the whole nine yards. Thanks for reading!

Lots of love,

Kate:001_wub:

I would be glad to help one on one (I guess since I'm in my 40's I'd be the parent-type mentor :biggrin0:). I am just over 5 months out, but I know what it's like to research and endure the first few weeks of lots of questions.

Also, feel free to ask your questions - lots of people can chime in and offer their advice.

Right now I am most worried about pain, people who have used my doctor, what in the world I am going to eat post surgery, if I am going to have a catheter and/or drain, if my hair is going to fall out, how I am going to learn to sip Water without chugging, how fast is the weight going to come off......ahhhh okay I am breathing I promise!

I live in Houston, but I've never heard of your doctor. My OB/GYN referred me to a couple doctors no one ever heard of, and I researched their backgrounds and wasn't comfortable. I did this on vitals.com I think. The most popular bariatric surgeon in Houston is Dr. Robert Davis. His son is Dr. Garth Davis, and they are both extremely popular b/c they are great great great surgeons with a lot of experience and compassion. I didn't know about them earlier or I would have had my surgery there. They are absolutely the best in town from what I hear, and they do the show Big Medicine on TV, which I've not seen. And they have awesome pre and post surgery care. My friend had surgery with them, as well as a relative. My friend had a little complication and was throwing up blood after surgery and Dr. Robert Davis came up to the hospital immediately at 10pm and held her head while she was projectile vomitting, reassured her that she was okay, explained what had happenned, and changed her meds. That sold me! Dr. Davis still teases her, calling her "Bloody Betty", and it is a joke between them now. My other relative had a revision surgery so it was more complicated. He took his time with her extensive scar tissue during surgery and she had no complications which was so great. I went to a smaller "center of excellence" for my sleeve, and it went fine, but to me it was definitely not a big enough practice to give me the care or support I needed before/after surgery.

Something to think about. I think it is important to visit a few doctors before making a decision, and seeing how to up to date they are and how active their support groups are.

I'm in Texas too, had surgery with Dr. Robert marvin @ Methodist on MAIN ST. Ask away, my surgeon was on TLC he operated on the teen in Houston."The Brian Story", his website wwwdoctormarvin.com for diet guidelines.

I didnt have a catheter, had a samll tube attached to a pain ball that came out 48 hrs post op, so small it didnt even bleed.

I had clears for 7 days, mushies for 21 days and at 30 days full food.< /strong>

I came home the next day, the pain wasnt bad at all, your're going to be fine, just trust your surgeon.

Thank you everyone! Does anyone have any experience with the Single Incision process? I noticed that Carla's Dr. offered it. Any pros/cons? I have having my EDG next Wednesday, how was that process for everyone?

He talked about it in the seminar and I thought that was what I was getting until the morning of the surgery but the incisions are very small the longest is 2 inches, he doesent use stitches outside so the scars are smooth,not bad at all.I have heard the Dr. davis's are really good too and my daughter used Hadar Spivak for her RNY, he is very good too.We're here to help if you need us.