Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sound Off -- Foreign Object in Yo' Belly

I have had multiple disk fusions and went last year for a check up x-ray. I could see my band, tubing, and port very clearly. It was so cool!

These days, implants of various kinds are so common - saline filled baggies to plump up the breasts, artificial knees and hips, etc. When my back surgery was being discussed, my surgeon gave me the option of donor bone (from a dead body), pig bone, or my own bone for the fusions. I chose to harvest my own bone, but only because there is less chance of rejection.

My daughter lost an infant to SIDS several years ago and they donated his corneas and heart valves for transplant. I am a huge supporter of organ transplant and feel that any technology that improves and/or extends life is a God send.

I think I was more freaked out about all the crap I put in my body by way of my mouth than putting the band in there.

I also have several pieces of hardware in my ankle and have for a long time. It just doesn't bother me.

i have an IUD in me, so the thought of something foreign in me doesn't phase me at all. I love my IUD and I love my band!:biggrin1:

Funny, I have an IUD too, I never thought about it being there when I was all dried up because it is only good for five years. I hope I have longer than that...

So when they crack open my casket, they will find a fat girl who got some. That, I can live with.

Thanks Randi, for making me feel a little less freaky.

What if we are both messed up?

I don't think it's weird at all. I am thankful that there is such technology. I am really, really in favor of medical treatment when warranted. Lots of people have lots of implants.

Yes, It freaked me a bit before my banding and it didn't go away after. It's still weird to me. Sometimes I'll be driving or something random and I will suddenly think to myself that I have a band wrapped around my stomach and a port in my side. Sometimes my thoughts go to it and wonder if it's eroding or something like that.

Negative thinking I know. But I'm human.

I don't mind. My port site is a little sore when the kids jump on me or I bend over wrong. But otherwise I don't care a bit because it is a my big helper.

My port site is rather like a large lump under my skin and I get a bit bothered about that at times. I might have it moved if it doesn't become less obvious when I reach goal weight.

The band itself is like a constant hug. Its reassures me that things are still going along as planned and that together we are going to make it to goal. :girl_hug: (I don't actually feel the band, just evidence of its presence when I eat too fast.)

heres a morbid thought --- well when they dig up all of our bodies in the year 3000 for some bizarre experiement.. ashes to ashes... and the band, and a few nuts and bolts.

Nuts, bolts, stents, bands, IUD,ports, grommets, what have we not heard of yet? I cant think of anything, but what about knee and hip replacements. and plates. I'd rather have a band and a few grommets than have my hip replaced in a few years. I'm sure that was where I was headed.

Does someone have a hip replacement? Isn't it a blessing too?

Does anyone know what those grommet things are in my picture?

I find this all quite amusing. I never even thought about it as a foriegn body inside me. I guess if I could feel it moving around or something then it would bug me but I dont even notice it. Now these new bony feelings I have, that is a foriegn body (the first time I noticed my wrist bone I was like, LOOKIT what grew overnight, never had one of them bones before!). My band is the least weird thing in me.

Morsaille,

I'm ROTFLMAO (rolling on the floor laughing my ass off).

Chabutter,

Cremation -- ashes and a melted lump of "I wonder what that was?"

The band in my tummy doesn't worry me as much as the 28 years old safety pins running from my jaw bone into my head. Ever once in awhile one gets irritated. The Oral Surgeon said if they start poking out they would have to surgicaly remove them. It was bad enough pain when they were put in there, but I am sure taking them out will be worse!