Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr Aceves wireless internet question.

Thank you oregandaisy, and I am excited.

My stupid band, I just knew it had a leak....I think they knew also, a fill just never lasted anymore, and my restirction was all over the place.

The band worked for as long as I needed it to, now I'm on to a permanent solution!!!!

Well, its back to plan A.....the Stargate SG1 series from start to finish.

Edited by Jaffa

Last year when we were at Dr. Aceves the internet was fairly slow. Has anyone who has gone lately noticed what the speed is like?

I would like to be able to watch movies from my netflix account, but I need about 2mbs to do that, anyone know from experience if it is fast enough now for streaming video?

Can someone who is going in the next week, do a speed test for me?

You just go on your wirless while your there, and go to speedtest.net and see what numbers it gives you.

My back up plan is to take a small dvd player and dvd's.

I just got sleeved on 6/9/10 with Dr. Aceves. We have a Netflix account and I tried to get on down there and Netflix wouldn't open up. It wasn't the connection it was Netflix. You might want to call Netflix and see if there is anything stopping you from being able to use the service in Mexico. Just a hint. I was dissapointed too, I wanted to see a movie and couldn't.

Tlynnles

i've heard a LOT about doc aceves on the internet. so much that i've actually considered going to him... which is a big deal since i'm almost through my process. i'm self pay and the fact that the prices are better with doc aceves is tempting. problem is, i don't think i've ever seen where anyone has posted exactly HOW much cheaper his prices are... so i'm not even sure it's worth starting over. also something i've considered is the possible complications that could occur after i return home.... and also the aftercare visits. and last, i'm admittedly concerned (as is my PCP) that the hospital he practices out of AND he himself for that matter might not be subject to the same credential/sanitary standards as we are here in the U.S. and that's a little scary. as my PCP said, "things that wouldn't fly here might fly there."

any thoughts?

Just so you know, I'm not a troll or a paid poster for Dr. Aceves.

I had my revision from band to sleeve with Dr. Aceves. The price for the revision was $12,500. It may be different now as I think that sometimes in the summer, they have special deals. However....

To answer some of your concerns. I had the best care by Dr. Aceves and the hospital was immaculate. If they would have told me to get down on the floor and lick it with my tongue, I would have. It was that clean. I have lived in many other countries and worked in hospitals in those countries. Dr. Aceves is, hands down, one of the top 5 physicians I have ever met (I've come across thousands). The hospital was the cleanest and I received the best care there. It was better than the care I've received in the US, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. Really, if I start having trouble with my gallbladder and I can make it to Dr. Aceves and he will do it for me, he will be the one I go to.

Before I had my surgery in Mexicali, several of my staff who are circulators, scrub tech, etc went to the hospital with me and we literally did the white glove test. Not one speck of dust. Dr. Aceves was even gonna let us see the surgery (observe while he did the procedure on someone else) but we just ran out of time. They had nothing to hid from us.

Yeah, it has something to do with the rights to distribute digital media outside the US. Here's the message I get when I go to the Watch Instantly tab on Netflix:

Watching Instantly is Not Available Outside the US

Our systems indicate that the computer you are using is not located within the 50 United States or District of Columbia. Due to studio licensing reasons, movies are available to watch instantly only on computers in those locations.

Netflix home page >

Same thing for a lot of YouTube videos. Networks that put the episodes of their popular shows online the day after airing don't let you view them outside the US, either. You don't think about it until you're out of the country I'm sure.

I'll be sure to let you know if it works since I'll be there on the 14th.

~Cheri

I was sleeved on 6/9/10 with Dr. Aceves and tried to watch Netflix in Mexico. I received the same page. I could not watch Netflix in Mexico. The only thing I can suggest is if you get Netflix movies delivered to your house you can bring those with to watch. Otherwise Netflix is not available in Mexicali, Mexico. Sorry.

My internet was super slow and netflix has a country code and it wouldn't work for me in Mexico.

When is your surgery date Jaffa?

25th...I will be headed out when your coming in.

Just so you know, I'm not a troll or a paid poster for Dr. Aceves.

I had my revision from band to sleeve with Dr. Aceves. The price for the revision was $12,500. It may be different now as I think that sometimes in the summer, they have special deals. However....

To answer some of your concerns. I had the best care by Dr. Aceves and the hospital was immaculate. If they would have told me to get down on the floor and lick it with my tongue, I would have. It was that clean. I have lived in many other countries and worked in hospitals in those countries. Dr. Aceves is, hands down, one of the top 5 physicians I have ever met (I've come across thousands). The hospital was the cleanest and I received the best care there. It was better than the care I've received in the US, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. Really, if I start having trouble with my gallbladder and I can make it to Dr. Aceves and he will do it for me, he will be the one I go to.

Before I had my surgery in Mexicali, several of my staff who are circulators, scrub tech, etc went to the hospital with me and we literally did the white glove test. Not one speck of dust. Dr. Aceves was even gonna let us see the surgery (observe while he did the procedure on someone else) but we just ran out of time. They had nothing to hid from us.

thank you SO MUCH! i just got off the phone with Monica from Dr. Aceves' office and she was wonderful... although a bit chatty :biggrin0: haha! i've filled out the form and sent it. i am seriously considering going there, even though i KNOW my family will not be happy about that. but it's my body, not theirs and they'll just have to trust that i'm smart enough to make good decisions for myself, i guess.

my only big concern was, it doesn't seem as though they take as many precautions against blood clots, from what i could tell by the conversation i had with her. no foltx before, and no levanox afterwards. they even said they ask you to stop taking aspirin if you're on it. also, h.pylori is no big deal? since when? i mean, i've had a test for h.pylori and the surgeon i'm currently scheduled for surgery with didn't TELL me i have it, so i assume that i don't.... but just an example of the kinds of things that are considered serious here but not there.

anyone have any insight on this? i know this probably isn't the right forum but it does seem like a good place to find ppl who are having or have had surgery in Mexico with aceves.

Jaffa, I am so happy for you!! Your posts were so helpful to me when I first started this WLS journey. You are gonna love the sleeve!!

Mi Mi, Not sure where you heard that there isn't anything done to prevent clots with Dr. Aceves. I got Lovinox, had legs wrapped with ace bandages, an incentive spirometer to use, etc while in the Hospital in Mexicali. You will be up walking the day of the surgery. Most surgeons I know don't want patients taking Aspirin, Vitamin E, or anything else that may cause excessive bleeding while you are in surgery. Motrin, Aleve, etc are also some things that make you bleed more in surgery.

Many people with the sleeve are diagnosed with H pylori after the surgery when the pathology report comes back (the part of the stomach removed is sent to pathology). No big deal. You just deal with it then. My path report did specifically mention that I had no H pylori (yes, I did ask for my pathology report from the Hospital as I have carcinoid and wanted to see what the report said. It was written in spanish but was easy to get translated).

Hopes this helps put your mind at ease. You will do great. You are asking all the right questions!!!

Jaffa, I am so happy for you!! Your posts were so helpful to me when I first started this WLS journey. You are gonna love the sleeve!!

Mi Mi, Not sure where you heard that there isn't anything done to prevent clots with Dr. Aceves. I got Lovinox, had legs wrapped with ace bandages, an incentive spirometer to use, etc while in the Hospital in Mexicali. You will be up walking the day of the surgery. Most surgeons I know don't want patients taking Aspirin, Vitamin E, or anything else that may cause excessive bleeding while you are in surgery. Motrin, Aleve, etc are also some things that make you bleed more in surgery.

Many people with the sleeve are diagnosed with H pylori after the surgery when the pathology report comes back (the part of the stomach removed is sent to pathology). No big deal. You just deal with it then. My path report did specifically mention that I had no H pylori (yes, I did ask for my pathology report from the Hospital as I have carcinoid and wanted to see what the report said. It was written in spanish but was easy to get translated).

Hopes this helps put your mind at ease. You will do great. You are asking all the right questions!!!

actually, just to clarify, i said they don't do as MANY preventions for blood clots. the surgeon i'm currently working with has me starting flotx (sp?) (blood thinner) on the 12th and surgery is scheduled on the 19th. he didn't prescribe lovenox (sp?) but said it's a possibility, we'll have to wait and see. i don't know WHY i'm so worried about blood clots, i've never had that problem with any other surgery. i guess i'm just a worry wart because this surgery IS elective and i want to make sure i cover all bases.

but dr. aceves does sound wonderful and i can't find ANYthing on the net that suggests anything to the contrary. i'm a cynic though, so if something sounds too good to be true, in my mind, it probably is. let's think about this.... he's done about 1000 VSG surgeries according to the coordinator i spoke to, only 1 death and that was from bowel complications for a bypass patient, no leaks from VSG, and a hospital that is apparently equipped with the most state of the art equipment and staffed with the best nurses you can find. and all this for.... just under $9000, which is supposedly ALL inclusive, from pre-op tests to surgery time, to hospital stay, to meds, to your own personal transportation to and from the airport. hmmmmm.....

i know it sounds like i'm criticizing but i'm really not. i just think it's odd that you can't find ANY negative feedback about dr. aceves. it makes me wonder if he tells his patients to come back and flood the net with good reviews! haha!

but all kidding aside... i will keep researching. by monday if i can't find anything negative or anything that tells me he's too good to be true... i think i'm going with doc aceves and almater hospital.

and i do wish ALL of you the best of luck! maybe i'll see you there, who knows!!!

also... can you tell me, would i need to get a passport? i've never travelled out of the country except to niagara falls once, so it might seem like a stupid question but i just don't know much about this really.

but dr. aceves does sound wonderful and i can't find ANYthing on the net that suggests anything to the contrary. i'm a cynic though, so if something sounds too good to be true, in my mind, it probably is. let's think about this.... he's done about 1000 VSG surgeries according to the coordinator i spoke to, only 1 death and that was from bowel complications for a bypass patient, no leaks from VSG, and a hospital that is apparently equipped with the most state of the art equipment and staffed with the best nurses you can find. and all this for.... just under $9000, which is supposedly ALL inclusive, from pre-op tests to surgery time, to hospital stay, to meds, to your own personal transportation to and from the airport. hmmmmm.....

i know it sounds like i'm criticizing but i'm really not. i just think it's odd that you can't find ANY negative feedback about dr. aceves. it makes me wonder if he tells his patients to come back and flood the net with good reviews! haha!

but all kidding aside... i will keep researching. by monday if i can't find anything negative or anything that tells me he's too good to be true... i think i'm going with doc aceves and almater hospital.

and i do wish ALL of you the best of luck! maybe i'll see you there, who knows!!!

I thought many of the same things as you, do loads of homework until you are absolutely comfortable with the decision you make, I had my surgery there and it seemed kooky to my family but I had done enough research to know that for me it was the right choice. I was incredibly well taken care of. Dr. Aceves found a hernia in me during surgery and fixed it w/no extra cost to me. I also had horrible nausea and he kept me an extra night again w/no extra cost.

I have also been pleased post op. I have had questions or needed copies of some of my documentation, and was provided with support always within 24 hours. I think the thing to consider is that for a surgeon to be successful at further business outside of the country is to get excellent word of mouth, and they take great care of you.

Ultimately do your homework and you will find the choice that is best for you. There are a lot of good options out there, I know that for me I would have very willingly paid a lot more for the experience Dr. Aceves gave me, and was grateful I didn't have to!

Good luck,

Anna

I thought many of the same things as you, do loads of homework until you are absolutely comfortable with the decision you make, I had my surgery there and it seemed kooky to my family but I had done enough research to know that for me it was the right choice. I was incredibly well taken care of. Dr. Aceves found a hernia in me during surgery and fixed it w/no extra cost to me. I also had horrible nausea and he kept me an extra night again w/no extra cost.

I have also been pleased post op. I have had questions or needed copies of some of my documentation, and was provided with support always within 24 hours. I think the thing to consider is that for a surgeon to be successful at further business outside of the country is to get excellent word of mouth, and they take great care of you.

Ultimately do your homework and you will find the choice that is best for you. There are a lot of good options out there, I know that for me I would have very willingly paid a lot more for the experience Dr. Aceves gave me, and was grateful I didn't have to!

Good luck,

Anna

thank you.... i'm glad i'm not alone in my apprehension. i've never been one to jump on a bandwagon and bariatric surgery is DEFINITELY not going to be the instance when i say "eh, to heck with it, i'm just gonna do what everyone else did!" HA HA!

ok the quotes aren't working right or something.... you get the point though. thanks again!

LOL. No he hasn't ever encouraged me to post. In fact, I haven't really talked to him since he did my wifes surgery. I guess, I wasn't looking for a long term relationship...LOL.

It is GOOD to be skeptical. There is nothing wrong with that at all, but I guess I'm one of the few who has been there and is going back....most people just don't have a reason to go down there twice, with me, it was once for my wife and once for me to have my revision.

Ok and I'll admit, my daughter is already planning on going to him, when she can afford it. Repeat business in this field isn't all that common, but my family is full of fatties.