Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr Aceves wireless internet question.

Last year when we were at Dr. Aceves the internet was fairly slow. Has anyone who has gone lately noticed what the speed is like?

I would like to be able to watch movies from my netflix account, but I need about 2mbs to do that, anyone know from experience if it is fast enough now for streaming video?

Can someone who is going in the next week, do a speed test for me?

You just go on your wirless while your there, and go to speedtest.net and see what numbers it gives you.

My back up plan is to take a small dvd player and dvd's.

YES!!!!!!!!! I will be watching netflix during recovery.....just in case you want to do the same.....they have a 30 day, no credit card info trial....I love it!!!!

Ooooh! What a great idea!! I have a netflix acct and am taking my little notebook - I hadn't even thought about watching movies, but I will!!!

i've heard a LOT about doc aceves on the internet. so much that i've actually considered going to him... which is a big deal since i'm almost through my process. i'm self pay and the fact that the prices are better with doc aceves is tempting. problem is, i don't think i've ever seen where anyone has posted exactly HOW much cheaper his prices are... so i'm not even sure it's worth starting over. also something i've considered is the possible complications that could occur after i return home.... and also the aftercare visits. and last, i'm admittedly concerned (as is my PCP) that the hospital he practices out of AND he himself for that matter might not be subject to the same credential/sanitary standards as we are here in the U.S. and that's a little scary. as my PCP said, "things that wouldn't fly here might fly there."

any thoughts?

I think those concerns are very very legit. There are some places I wouldn't let operate on my dog. Dr. Aceves and the Almater Hospital, I have no problem with at all. I have been there with my wife, when my wife had her sleeve done, and it was great. Also, I like to look at track records and stats.....so yes, they need to be FACS in order to check these things.

My brother had Gastric Bypass here in the US and died. So you can bet I know there are real risks. Having said that he died of liver failure, which should have precluded him from having the surgery in the first place, but somehow it got someone in the US to do it??

I think the regular package price for sleeve is around 10,000 and 12500 for revision from band to sleeve. Takes about a week to get paper work and such approved for normal people.

Just for clarification, Dr Aceves "did my wifes sleeve surgery". He will also do mine. I reread what I posted before and it sounded like I was saying something else.

Jaffa, are you sure you can stream in Mexico? I'm just curious. I live in Germany and can't do Netflix online movies because I'm out of the US. Better make sure before you go!

Please update if you can, because I'm bringing my laptop and the ability to watch movies would mean I could pack less books.

~Cheri

I had no idea being out of the country would be a problem, other then speed? Heck, I play x box online with people all over.

Is this a netfilx thing? Let me know how it goes on the 15th.....if you don't mind.

Steve I just wanted to say that I am really happy for you that you're getting rid of the band and getting the sleeve.

I am glad you had your Dr. Aceves experience with your wife so you know how great he is. I am so glad it's your turn!

Yeah, it has something to do with the rights to distribute digital media outside the US. Here's the message I get when I go to the Watch Instantly tab on Netflix:

Watching Instantly is Not Available Outside the US

Our systems indicate that the computer you are using is not located within the 50 United States or District of Columbia. Due to studio licensing reasons, movies are available to watch instantly only on computers in those locations.

Netflix home page >

Same thing for a lot of YouTube videos. Networks that put the episodes of their popular shows online the day after airing don't let you view them outside the US, either. You don't think about it until you're out of the country I'm sure.

I'll be sure to let you know if it works since I'll be there on the 14th.

~Cheri