Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did Anyone Toss Their Scale?

I'm seriously considering tossing my scale.:faint: I've read a lot of posts about some of you guys getting stuck on plateaus and the disappointment from not seeing the numbers on the scale move and I'm wondering if I can avoid that feeling? (I'm scheduled for banding next week, the 7th:clap2: ). I know I'll still get weighed at the doctor's office so I'll know as a whole whether I'm succeeding. I know also that a day can make a big difference (monthly period, retention of Water, etc.).

So, what do you guys think? Dare I? Have any of you? How has it gone if you have?

I love mine now :-) But I have thrown the scale away three times in a tantrum when it hasnt said what I wanted it to! Doug would get home from work and the scale would be gone again, lol.

I thought about throwing mine away, but the truth is, I need the accountability. I don't want to EVER have another moment in my life when I get on the scale at the Dr's office and find out I've gained 50 pounds.

Sleepyjean, been there done that. I still believe one of the reasons I got into the whole overweight mess is because I stopped weighing myself during a prolonged bout of depression, like two years. When I finally got on a scale I was over 200 and the thought of losing all that weight just put me in another depression. I will deal with plateaus, but I don't want to go more than a week without checking my weight.

I'm seriously considering tossing my scale.:faint:<snip> ...I know I'll still get weighed at the doctor's office so I'll know as a whole whether I'm succeeding. ...<snip> So, what do you guys think? Dare I? Have any of you? How has it gone if you have?

Well, my my LapBand surgeon said I was overly focused on numerical results rather than overall results, so he made me toss my scale.:phanvan Plus I was a (relatively) lower BMI patient so he speculated my success wouldn't mean huge number of pounds lost.

He said I could just weigh in his office. He thought it might stop me from obsessing on daily weight fluctuations and reduce the temptation to constantly compare my LapBand weight loss results to other RnY Bypass patients I know.

It's actually been OK to not have a scale but I did find myself looking for scales in all my other doctors' offices (even my podiatrist, LOL).

Generally, I now concentrate on clothing sizes which mean far more to me. It's clothes I care about, and what size I wear isn't always reflected in what the scale says. Plus I focus more on my BMI than pure numerical weight, which gives me a more overall sense of perspective.

It's worked OK but my fill doctor thinks it's OK to have scales... how tempting! :guess

Happy Band (And Life) Journeys To All...

I like the scale. I just bought one right before sugury. I didn't have one before because I did not want to go nuts. Now I gewt on whenever I want, but it doesn't 'count' until my official weekly weigh in day. That is only for the first 20 weeks and then I will only have official monthly weigh ins (My Swedish Band patient Handbook that I record this in is designed that way). If the scale fluncuates (which it will) then I don't sweat it unless it's like that on my weigh in day (and I only weigh in first thing in the morning before eating and drinking and after relieving myself) and thank God that has not happened.

I don't have a scale. I keep thinking I am going to buy one but I have never done it. I find somewhere to go weigh every week or two.

Dawg and I have a scale and we try very hard to only weigh once a week. He usually removes and hides the battery between weigh in days.

Sometimes though, we give in to curiosity and weigh more often. What we've found is that it becomes like clockwatching. The days drag on and on and it seems that the progress has slowed WAY down.

But the need for instant gratification can also become an obsession. If you do weigh everyday, post your daily weight on a graph chart so you get the bigger picture that will show you the downward trend. And remember that the body can fluctuate up to 5 pounds from one day to the next, so just because you gain a pound today it doesn't mean your overall weekly loss is going to slow down.

My surgery was in Mexico so I am the only one weighing myself in. Yes, I get mad when I think I have lost and I haven't, but stepping on the scale this week and seeing 8 pounds gone after I had gained 2 pounds the week before has made on the scale frustration worth it.

I'm MUCH happier weighing myself once a week (after surgery i was doing it daily) but I think I would go nuts if I couldnt do it at least once a week, I don't think I could throw my scale out.

I know myself to the extent that if I got on a scale daily (like I do now) I will beat myself up everytime it's not showing a loss. I get discouraged. So I'm thinking that I will now toss it and just keep working on my effort and see the results at the MD. I may change my mind when I'm further down and further along on my goal (I might want to weigh myself three times a day at that point!) but for now, I'm throwing it out!