Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am scheduled to have my surgery August 27th. It has been about 1 year in the works with having to attend seminars, options, meeting surgeons, etc. I have prayed over having the surgery and have not made this decision hastily. As a Christian, I sometimes feel guilty that I am not able to lose the weight on my own, using self control. Does anyone else feel this way?:)

I am sorry that you are feeling bad. I am not sure what to say to make you feel better except that the sleeve is just a tool that you will have to work hard to lose weight. So I wouldn't go into surgery feeling guilty for "taking the easy way out" because having major surgery is not the easy way. Nor are all the choices you have to make after surgery the easy way out. I have worked extremely hard since surgery making the right choices every day and getting out and sometimes exercisng 2 hours a day. This was one of the hardest and best things I have done for myself and there is absolutely no guilt what so ever! Just think that you are doing something positive to make your body healthy. You may need to talk with a WLS couselor before surgery regarding your thoughts to make sure you are really ready for this. Good luck with everything.

Frankie

VSG 3/22/10

Thanks so much for your feedback. It's not so much that I feel bad, just once in a while guilty...I am actually very thankful and excited. And I really do feel that God has opened the doors for me to have this surgery. I just sometimes feel like why couldn't I do this using the fruit of the spirit, self control.

I think I've felt "guilty" all my life for being overweight. I've felt I had NO will power and couldn't change anything about myself.

The sleeve is another tool, but it is not a easy way out. I still have to make decisions every time I put something in my mouth. I could completely ruin my efforts by eating donuts, ice cream and Cookies (a sweet tooth has been my downfall). But I can eat so little....and I don't want to give myself empty calories because I'm afraid of depriving my body of the nutrition it needs. Before I could eat the healthy foods and still eat the sweets. Now I have to choose because I don't have room for it all.

Now that I've post-op for a 2-1/2 months, I don't feel guilty about my weight at all. I'm steadily losing, getting more active, and am healthier. I'm glad I invested in myself.

Thank you for your feeback breezy! You are doing an amazing job! Keep up the great work! You are an inspiration:thumbup: to me!

I was right there with you a few weeks ago. We were watching a series of sermons by Andy Stanley about taking control of your life. I was in the midst of waiting for approval for my surgery. I really started questioning my decision to have surgery. Was I taking responsibility for my life or was I taking the easy way out? Why can't I excercise self-control? After some prayer and thinking, I realized that I am taking responsibility. This is going to take hard work and I will be using self-control because now, more than ever, I will have to make the right choices so that all of this effort will not be in vain.

BTW, your surgery is only 9 days after mine (08/18/10). Can't wait to cheer you on this journey!

I was right there with you a few weeks ago. We were watching a series of sermons by Andy Stanley about taking control of your life. I was in the midst of waiting for approval for my surgery. I really started questioning my decision to have surgery. Was I taking responsibility for my life or was I taking the easy way out? Why can't I excercise self-control? After some prayer and thinking, I realized that I am taking responsibility. This is going to take hard work and I will be using self-control because now, more than ever, I will have to make the right choices so that all of this effort will not be in vain.

BTW, your surgery is only 9 days after mine (08/18/10). Can't wait to cheer you on this journey!

Amen :frown1:!!! And I will be cheering you on as well!

I struggled with the same issues before I went for my band. I even did the "weigh down workshop" for 2 years in attempts to lose weight, and asked God to free from the food demons. People reading this probably thinks this is insane, but gluttony is a sin, and I punished myself long enough. I prayed, I meditated, I followed the plan, I lost, then life would happen, and I would start in again with old habits.

I prayed for guidance, I prayed for peace. I went through a literal hell on Earth experience with both surgeries, but God brought me through all of that, I truly believe it's made me a better woman because of it.

I don't believe God let me suffer because of my choice to have weight loss surgery. I don't believe that I landed on life support for 5 days, that my husband wasn't allowed to come home, or anything else that transpired during my revision and recovery because I couldn't lose weight on my own.

Do I feel guilty now? No, and because of that, I thank Jesus for pulling me through, for bringing my husband home safely, and for sending angels to watch over and protect me and my son through a very difficult, and draining recovery. I cherish each day given to me because last year I almost lost everything.

Hooray Tiffykins!

I love your positive outlook. So glad I found this Special Interest Group here on VST.

@ Sleeve 4 Me, thank you so much for writing down what you were thinking. I think a lot of people of faith might feel the same way and be too afraid to bring it up. It helps to know I'm not the only one thinking along those lines.

I thank God for my precious sleeve sisters :-) sniff sniff!

I just sometimes feel like why couldn't I do this using the fruit of the spirit, self control.

I personally believe that God gives us varying "doses" of the Fruits of the Spirit. So, maybe you didn't get a lot of self-control when it comes to eating. I'm certain you have it for other important areas of your life. From your various posts on here, you seem to possess many other fruits.

I too believe that God opens doors to allow us to be the person He wants us to be. Consider this one of those doors.

Congratulations on your decision. Focus on the positives and enjoy your journey.

Amen Mini! And I thank God for opening this door for me:thumbup:.

I just blogged about this. "Its a God thing" I never had peace about any WLS until now. I often asked God why is this my burden to carry? I placed blame on me, blame on my family, blame on Him. Like it was said on an earlier reply, Gluttony is a sin. No one forced me to get to 324 lbs. But God is faithful even through my screw ups. Do I feel guilt now? No, God has open doors for me, even at my heighest wt that seem unreal at times, esp at work. God has opened this door for me. I don't have to fight for this surgery with insurance, I don't have to jump through hoops with the dr, etc. I feel God's presence in all of this and this has given me a deep sense of peace.

For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind (self-discipline/self-control/wise discretion). 2 Timothy 1:7

I just blogged about this. "Its a God thing" I never had peace about any WLS until now. I often asked God why is this my burden to carry? I placed blame on me, blame on my family, blame on Him. Like it was said on an earlier reply, Gluttony is a sin. No one forced me to get to 324 lbs. But God is faithful even through my screw ups. Do I feel guilt now? No, God has open doors for me, even at my heighest wt that seem unreal at times, esp at work. God has opened this door for me. I don't have to fight for this surgery with insurance, I don't have to jump through hoops with the dr, etc. I feel God's presence in all of this and this has given me a deep sense of peace.

For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind (self-discipline/self-control/wise discretion). 2 Timothy 1:7

Amen, amen, amen! I prayed over this. I prayed that if it was not meant to be for me that doors would close, but instead they opened:001_smile:. Now I'm a walkin :) and ready to receive my blessing! Thank you Jesus!