Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Again, not to be confrontational, but there's a lot of science indicating that carb restriction can lead to depression and lethargy. Additionally, although simple carbs can lead to insulin spikes/troughs, we're not talking about simple carbs here (I don't eat sugar and white flour anymore, pretty much at all, and my fructose intake is always in the form of whole fruit).

I think we have to remember that what applies to the general population isn't always going to be applicable to WLS patients, because our nutritional needs and intake are very different (even our metabolism is slightly different if we're digesting in a less acid-rich environment).

The bottom line is that a 6'1, 280 lb. man who's taking in 1000-1200 calories a day (which is, again, 50% more calories than my nutritionist recommends, but I'm using it as a "high Water mark" of my cheatiest of cheat days) is going to lose weight, given enough time.

I don't recommend skimping on any other essential nutrient, of course, but I think that extreme carb restriction is not going to net gains (losses) as impressive as claimed (in fact, I've yet to see a study that shows that carb-restricted patients do better than non carb-restricted patients post WLS). And what I do know is that it will make you feel miserable. Well, maybe not you, but it does for me. I can literally feel the difference within minutes of eating a few grapes (ooh, scary, complex carbs!)

And the real bottom line, of course, is that I'm going to listen to my nutritionist and doctor -- this is ultimately what we should all be doing, listening to our doctors. And she's telling me to eat more carbs and trim my Protein down slightly.

Edit: thinking about this, I really should have chosen a different thread title. I'm ultimately less concerned with stalls (which I KNOW will happen and are inevitable -- the body has a billion homeostatic mechanisms designed to prevent rapid weight loss; we're literally fighting a million years of evolution when we try to shed pounds rapidly) than I am with feeling crappy all the time. I'll happily accept a slightly slower weight loss if I feel good. My girlfriend is the example I should have been paying attention to; she happily munches on wheat crackers (in moderation) and fruit and vegetables and mashed potatoes and rice (all in moderation), and has been steadily losing weight for 8 months now. And her mood and energy level have been great and getting better every day. Basically she never watches her carbs, only her calories and exercise, and she's doing great.

So again, I'm sorry if I come off as confrontational, but it's really starting to dawn on me that everyone is in agreement -- my surgeon, my nutritionist, my girlfriend's experience, and my own body and instincts. The only reason I've been trying to limit carbs is because (again, sorry, but let's be honest...) "some people on the internet" told me to. I should learn my lesson!

Also, I think I'm going to start weighing myself every other week or once a month or so. I know I'll lose the weight, and if I stop anxiously hovering over the scale I won't stress out so much about the inevitable plateaus.

Edited by ouroborous

Oh, one other thing. WRT to carbs, I've been eating 80g-100g all along. My stall right now has nothing to do with increased carb intake, since my carb intake has been pretty steady for the entire time since surgery, including some weeks when I lost 7-10 pounds in a single week. Basically, the idea that I'll speed up my weight loss by eating less carbs just makes no sense, when you look at the evidence.

This is just my experience... you all should listen to your doctors, not me, of course. But I think that the moral of the story is that I'm going to try to "lighten up" and not weigh myself as frequently, and eat more carbs (good, healthy, complex carbs) and eat them more frequently (rather than a single carb-heavy meal, eat little Snacks of Protein and carbs on a regular basis... which, incidentally is what my nutritionist told me to do last time... I should listen to the "experts" instead of making it up as I go along -- I'm not always the brightest bulb in the batch!)

Edited by ouroborous

Hey I just wanted to throw another thing out. Vita D is a super common deficiency and my friend who had thyroid cancer has experienced SEVERE amounts of it. I hope you find an explanation, but until then....some summer reading Vitamin D Deficiency: Symptoms, Causes, and Health Risks

Best of luck,

Anna

my nutritionist told me to do last time... I should listen to the "experts" instead of making it up as I go along -- I'm not always the brightest bulb in the batch!)

How long has your nutritionist been sleeved? I am sure I will not discredit any advice from people that have already been down the road the same road that I am on.

No doubt, you should listen to your nutritionist over a forum poster. Although, you should be open minded enough to not to argue with people that have different opinions, which you asked for, than your nutritionist.

Man, best of luck. I hope you start feeling better and start losing again soon. Hang in there.

Well folks.. I went to my hypertention doctor today and i had to get on the scale .... It MOVED !!! :thumbup1: I have lost 1.9 lbs . I weigh 249.1... Yeah .finally it has moved and i am happy . i increased my calories with healthy choices... I did eat whole grain bread and crackers w/ tuna fish salad. I also think that I need to kinda cut back on the H2O , i drink constantly.. Its very confusing :) but like i said before , I will not give up!! 90 lbs to my goal and i can't wait.:thumbup:

which, incidentally is what my nutritionist told me to do last time... I should listen to the "experts" instead of making it up as I go along -- I'm not always the brightest bulb in the batch!)

Its very hard not to try your own things when we have such a great thing as this forum to use and so many fellow sleevers to gain experience from, but it sounds like your nut was right esp regarding the Snacks.

Is it worth getting your bloods done early just to double check and allay any fears in a lack of something?

Hope it shifts soon for you!

Kathy

hey friends or fellow sleevers, I took my husband to the Dr today and I just had to use the scale..I have lost 2 lbs since Monday. I am 247lbs now!!!...It has started moving again. I also heard that the B12 shots are excellent. so i made an appt. to get one. i ve heard that you get tons of energy and it helps with depression.

Just a few thoughts for you, Oub...

You mentioned falling short on fluids sometimes. I've found that if I don't get in at least 60 ounces, I crash...no energy. And I stop losing. Be sure you keep your fluids up!

Re: nutritionist. I saw one for a while, shortly after surgery. She was adamant that my surgeon's recommendation of 600-800 calories was STARVATION and not healthy/balanced at all, She advised I go up to 1200-1400 and eat more carbs... (I was eating 30-60 gms per day.) She works for my Internist and has never had a VSG. I did not follow her advice, but stuck to my surgeon's advice and I've lost 110 lbs over 9 months. About 30 more to go. This is just to say that all nutritionists are not experts in WLS. When I eat carbs, I stop losing and/or gain weight. So... give things a try and see what happens...you will find out what works for you. You did not become obese in a week, so stop rushing yourself to lose it instantly! I weighed daily for 8 months, but now...about twice a month, ...less stressful.