Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tracking what you eat

Hi Everyone!

I found a GREAT website for tracking what we eat. It is LIVESTRONG.COM - Health, Fitness, Lifestyle | LIVESTRONG.COM, and there is an application called "My Plate". You simply enter what you have eaten, and it does all the calculations for you! It's definitely worth a try!!

How many calories, Protein gms and carb grams is your diet containing? I am just curious....I am about 700 calories, 50 protein and 25 carbs. Just wondering if that is in the right range for continued weight loss...I am 2 months post op.

Ali,

That sounds really close to the norm. Your Protein may be a titch low both my surgeon and NUT like between 60 and 70. But your weight loss is terrific so who can say!

I'd also suggest DailyBurn.com. I just started using it, but the thing I like is that in addition to accessing it via the internet, I can also access it via an app on my new iphone. :)

I LOVE livestrong....been using myplate since Jan and love being able to see what everything adds up to every day. I am at 7 months and am now between 1000 & 1200 cal a day. This was a recent increase for me (at 2 months I couldnt get in 500). I try to keep my Protein above 75 (closer to 100 if possible) and a lot of my carbs come from Protein Bars like Atkins so my carb intake may be 50 to 70 but netcarb intake is often below 25-30.

Yes, the version I use is free. They do have a gold version but I don't think it is necessary. I love the site and use it constantly.

I really like myfitnesspal. It's got about every food know already in the database, and is easy to add stuff if it doesn't.

It also allows you to save whole meals, and add all the items at once, and then tweak the quantities or remove things. You can also enter your recipes using the food database and it will calculate the calories.

It also will track your excersize and calories burned.

I've been using it for my 6 month diet, and so far I've lost close to 40 pounds in 3.5 months.

It also has an iPhone app if, and best of all it's all free!

I went to livestrong and began a profile for myplate but it won't let me put in the calories I want, it red flags me and tells me that is too low and won't let me post it. I'm in 2nd week pre-op on clears and am only supposed to reach 600 (ha, most days I barely make it to 250) but livestrong won't let me put less than 2000. plus there isn't a spot to track Protein grams which is what I really need. I'll keep my profile but wouldn't it be great if there was one that allowed people like us to put in our very low cal requirements and tracked our protein and liquids?

It does track Protein. It also lets you put in less calories...I thought I had it at 500 or 600 to start with. Then I was at 800 for a long time. I just went to 1200 recently.

UPDATE: I just went to it and it would not let me do 500 anymore but would allow 800 so I recommend starting with that. It will still track all your nutrients, carbs, Proteins and calories and will make this all so much easier.

Edited by MrNickSr
more info

Another website I have used is Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople It has TONS of food info pre-programmed in. Down to different brands of the same type of food. Makes it quick and easy and you can also add items to your personal data base (maybe something you cook often at home...just add in the nutrition info once). Also let's you track weight, exercise and calories burned from exercise for your weight, etc etc etc.

I use fatsecret.com, it has an app on andriod that lets me scan the barcode and it syncs automatically with the website. I really like that feature. I think the app is called calorie counter.

Ok, I talked to my nutritionist this morning. She gave me the name of a website she uses "Calorie Count" looked very easy, especially for putting in recipes that you use at home, which are hard to figure out nutritional content...

she also said:

EXERCISE, EXERCISE, EXERCISE!!!

She said the amount I was eating was fine IF I were EXERCISING.

I’m 5’6” medium to heavy frame; and she said 1000cal a day if I am exercising.

If I am not exercising I should eat 900 cal

Broken down like this: 900 cal; 38 g fat, 75 g Carbs, 60+ g of Protein

Eat out only 3 times a week.

It’s too easy when you eat out to get more fat and little bites of temping foods.

Throw out the wheat thins or anything you can’t stay out of.

Best way to stop a plateau is to (you got it) EXERCISE!

I asked her about going on liquids for a couple of days, to jump it and her concern was that I might lower my metabolism, we will burn our muscle if we go too low on our calorie intake.

Best way to increase you metabolism is.....yep, exercise.

You know what you don’t want to do when it is 105 degrees out? Yep exercise.

She suggested getting a DVD, or swim or find anything that I like doing. Mall walk.

Anything.... Just move, 4 x a week for 30 min+