Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many people did you tell about your WLS?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How many people did you tell about your WLS?

• Everyone who would listen...I'm happy to share
    • Family and others (>10 people)
    • Family and close others (5-10 people)
    • Family and close others (2-5 people)
    • Only one person
    • No one

So I'm just curious who all you told about your WLS. I'm pondering this question now and would love to hear from you all.

Thanks,

Mslynn

I told my mother, one of my sisters, and my husband. That's it.

I decided that having surgery and losing weight are hard enough by themselves and I didn't want to add to my stress level by having everyone watching me constantly.

The last thing I want is to be the spokesperson for the lapband and/or explaining why I'm not losing weight as quickly as people expect when they hear "weight loss surgery."

Good luck.

I agree completely about not wanting to be a spokesperson. This played a big role in my decision as well. I just want to focus on losing weight and I really don't want the attention.

Mslynn

I've told pretty much everybody by now, but not at first. I was a semi-closet bandster in the beginning, but was outed by someone I had never even met - a friend of a friend of a friend, isn't-it-a-small-world kind of thing. So I decided after that I would never lie about it. If someone asks me if I had WLS, I own up to it.

I told my mother, one of my sisters, and my husband. That's it.

I decided that having surgery and losing weight are hard enough by themselves and I didn't want to add to my stress level by having everyone watching me constantly.

The last thing I want is to be the spokesperson for the lapband and/or explaining why I'm not losing weight as quickly as people expect when they hear "weight loss surgery."

Good luck.

BRAVO!:clap2: There are as many people on here as personalities. I am a very private person and I agree with everything you just posted.

BTW I am pre op.

Charlene, I agree with you also. I may open up as time goes on. I would share wtih anyone who asked and would benefit from the information I have to offer about banding.

I just told everyone and will continue to do so if the interest is there. I enjoy people and love to talk. I'm not really a bashful fat person to begin with....maybe that's part of my denial. :girl_hug: My DH is very reserved and I'm an open person so we balance each other out.

I told lots of people and was quite upfront about it. That is just the way I am, a very open person. I figure if somebody don't like it.... good for them, they dont have to live my life. Truth be told, I have not had one single negative comment from anybody.

Your poll left out "a few close friends--but NO FAMILY." That would be my category. My family just would have FREAKED out if I'd told them I was having surgery--no less going to Mexico for it. It's been a year and they still don't know. And if I have my way, they never will. Not telling people was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

You shouldn't think by this that I'm not close to my family. I work with my brother and usually see my parents at least once a week.

I told my family (my fiance, dad, mom, sister, brother, my daughter and my niece) and my closest two friends. I am of the belief that if someone asks me how I lost weight I will share - reluctantly though. I'm not one to discuss medical conditions, procedures I may need or have had openly.

I told my family because I spend quite a bit of time with them and felt like I may need their support in the future. And if I get scared or discouraged, I will probably rely on them to hear me out and give me feedback or comfort.

IMO, I think it's a good thing to tell someone you may need support from. DevilMayKare, I worried about the impression my family would have (is that why you didn't tell your family you were close to?), whether they would understand or agree, etc. It would have been easier not to tell them maybe. But in the end, I opted to tell them because I was feeling like it was time for me to 'come clean' to them about my fears, who I am, etc. It was scary. But in the end, I'm happy I did tell them.

It's an individual thing I guess.

I told my mom, sister, and neices, but I was not going to tell my dad or step mom, but my Mother spilled the Beans. I knew how they would react and they did just that. looked down on me and just never talk to me about it. They found out over a month ago and have yet to say a word about it. My step mom and her two kids are snobs with a greater than thou attitude. They are cute and skinny with the brain power of a PEA.... lol

I told my husband and 2 friends. However, my husband told EVERYBODY he could think of! I had people coming up asking me about it at church, etc. Needless to say, I had a little "chat" with DH.

Terry

I told very few people at first. I was afraid I would be harshly judged because I wasn't 100 pounds over-weight.

My best friend and my daughter have told a lot of people I had it done. They both are banded now also.

Now that I have lost enough weight that everyone notices, I don't mind quit so much sharing.

I told my mom, dad, 2 girlfriends, and several very close friends we hang out with. No one at work or elsewhere, I am a semi closet bandster, lol!! I sometimes wish I had not even told our friends, it makes me feel uncomfortable to feel "scrutinized" every time I see them. Someone always mentions "wow, I can tell you have lost", "looking good there", "how many pounds now?" etc... I didnt think my weight should be the focus for anyone else when I was heavier, and I dont want it to be now. But that is just me, lol! I have always felt pretty confident, attractive, intelligent, etc.. and hate the focus to be WEIGHT.....which is just one aspect of what makes up "me".