Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did u start mushies?

I know every MD has different instructions but I am curious as to when others started certain foods. I would like to know about stuff like: oatmeal, grits, tuna, refried Beans, THANK YOU!

I started mushies on week # 2 or something like that. . . i was on liquids for 1 1/2 weeks and then went to my 1st doctor visit and they put us to a nutritionist who started us on mushies that day. . .it was scary for us cause we didn't want to do anything wrong. . they gave us a binder full of instructions and receipes and told us what to do and off we went. . i did great, no problems at all! just make sure you follow your doc's instructions and your going to do great!

I'm due to start pureed foods on Day 7 post op. I'm a little behind schedule with advancing my diet so I may still be on full liquids for a couple of extra days if I don't feel ready.

thanks guys. Im supposed to wait until day 21! I just dont think I'll make it :drool5: Liquids for this long is really rough on me

HAHAHAHA SAM i never noticed your logo before I totally love it! I'm a registered nurse now for over 20 + years and so believe that!!!!!!

You'll make it girl! just keep going! you have come this far and it's not permanent, only for 21 days! you will have a fabulous surprise at the end of the 21 days. . . you CAN do this you are strong, you are in control and not your body! Don't give in to weakness, it's the obsticle that got us into all this trouble the first time. . . good luck!

Day 21 for me. 10 days clears, 10 days full liquids and then 10 days mushies. I get to start them on Tuesday. It'll be a nice change, already looking forward to Cereal and refried Beans.< /p>

Ermmmm... I'm on them already! Have had Soup, scrambled egg, mash with teeny bits of ham in, weetabix and milk (as a mush), fromage frais, slimfast drink (on a day I couldn't think what to have!)

So far so good. My doctor (French) was adamant I wasn't to stick to Clear Liquids, but to have pureed veg Soup, fromage frais etc. I had veg soup, yogurt and apple puree in hospital my first meal 3 days post op!

What was his reasoning for not being on liquids?

Ermmmm... I'm on them already! Have had Soup, scrambled egg, mash with teeny bits of ham in, weetabix and milk (as a mush), fromage frais, slimfast drink (on a day I couldn't think what to have!)

So far so good. My doctor (French) was adamant I wasn't to stick to Clear Liquids, but to have pureed veg soup, fromage frais etc. I had veg soup, yogurt and apple puree in hospital my first meal 3 days post op!

I know every MD has different instructions but I am curious as to when others started certain foods. I would like to know about stuff like: oatmeal, grits, tuna, refried Beans, THANK YOU!

My goodness! It is amazing how all the doctor's and nutritionists are all over the place with their opinions. I think mine are the stricktest of all! 2 weeks liquids, 2 weeks full liquids (only egg white and cream of wheat), then 2 weeks pureed, then 2 weeks soft foods, then you can start experimenting with regular food. That is 30 days before pureed food! I am hanging in there. Good luck y'all!

Dr Boullenois said that the 'new' stomach needs to be treated gently as regards the stitches and so forth, and not to overload it. But he said that eating semi-solid (ie mush) avoided the risk of constipation.... He said apple puree is excellent for that. He also said the stomach is not brand new, it is not broken, it is just smaller.... He dismissed Protein drinks with a Gallic shrug, although he did say multi-Vitamins (in drops) were a good idea.

I think if I had questioned him one more time, with "But on the forum, it says......" he would have sent me to the guillotine! :thumbup:

I admit I was was worried when I saw what everyone else seemed to be on, and I was actually afraid to eat anything first day, but (and having just had almost a whole Weetabix with ice-cold half fat milk) it all seems to be working well for me, so I'll go with it.

On balance, it seems that there are many paths to tread, but we all need to learn to listen to our bodies, and perhaps trust our new improved stomachs!

It is a lovely sunny day here in Normandy - I am off to pick some raspberries from our garden. At least this year, I know more will make it back to the kitchen!!

My doctor really wants to protect the staple line! Three weeks of 'it must go through a straw'! Oh boy! Fourth of July weekend and I can have real food! Actually this Friday is three weeks for me....I'm not hungry at all ever, although I do feel 'something' occasionally. The taste of real food will be nice!

1 day of nothing by mouth, 2 days clears and then 10 days full liquids.

Mushies after that for me.

Couldent you make some thin oatmeal and put it in a blender?

Or maybe cream of wheat?

I made some lentil Soup yesterday and stuck it in the blender.

It was awesome after so long on bland foods.

I was sleeved on June 21st just wondering if you n I have the same MD are you a patient of the why weight group? If so maybe we cankeep each other motivated I have not seen much weight loss yet. I am a little down but I think it's because I'm home and bored once I'm back to my normal routine I think I'll feel better.