Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking For Others Who Are Struggling with Emotional Eating Plz

Hi All,

I have written before about how this month has been terrible for me in terms of dealing with emotional eating. My therapist suggested that I try to find other sleevers who are also in the same boat. I think that it is hard to publicly on these boards say that one is having intense trouble following the program and feeling like a failure. I would really welcome hearing from anyone either in this thread or in a confidentiality-ensured private message.

After several months of dramatic weight loss, I hit a wall of stress eating and I have not lost a pound this whole month. I haven't gained either but I attribute that to my worst problem that I throw up a lot. So if you struggle with head hunger, stress eating and the like and would like to talk, please PM me.

Thanks.

Pennie

Oh, Pennie, I am so sorry you are struggling like this. I am still a baby sleever so haven't experienced anything like you are. I hope you find your way through this. Best of luck to you.

Hugs,

Maddie

I can relate to the emotional eating. I'm 10 months post op and had been doing rather well. For the first time in my life I actually stopped talking to certain people in my life who always triggered binges. It was a very difficult thing to do but I was determined to make the sleeve work. I have recently started a new job that is very challening and my first impulse when I get in my car is to get something to eat. I do feel as if the sleeve still keeps me from being able to binge like I use to but it scared me that I still want to use food for comfort. It is a struggle at times but that's why I get on here and try to remind myself of why I did this in the first place. Hang in there and keep coming on here, it really does help.

:sad0:

Hi All,

I have written before about how this month has been terrible for me in terms of dealing with emotional eating. My therapist suggested that I try to find other sleevers who are also in the same boat. I think that it is hard to publicly on these boards say that one is having intense trouble following the program and feeling like a failure. I would really welcome hearing from anyone either in this thread or in a confidentiality-ensured private message.

After several months of dramatic weight loss, I hit a wall of stress eating and I have not lost a pound this whole month. I haven't gained either but I attribute that to my worst problem that I throw up a lot. So if you struggle with head hunger, stress eating and the like and would like to talk, please PM me.

Thanks.

Pennie

Pennie;

I am having a hard time too. Sometimes I am ok and other times....wow!

I want to go to a cognitive behavioral therapist. Since I don't do drugs or alcohol the food was my DOC (drug of choice) and now my stomach is dictating to me what and how much I can eat. Since I have had this done (VSG 6/9/10) I feel like it is something I had to do because I was killing myself. Boy did it feel like I was dying...slowly. I feel like the Matthew 5:30; "If your right hand makes you stumble, cut it off and throw it from you; for it is better for you to lose one of the parts of your body, than for your whole body to go into hell." I want to eat so much of the gooooooooooooooooooooooood food that is out there. Oh man. Now my addiction is controlling me. It won't let me eat certain things or I get a stomach ache or if I want to take more than 3 bites.....AHHHHHH!!!!:drool5:

It's terrible. I know how you feel. I know it is necessary. I know I will feel better. But boy, can your mind make you crave. Now I have to do mental work on that! I know the boat you are in and you are not alone. Feel free to contact me anytime or even e-mail me if you need to talk. I need support too. This is tough. I knew it would be....but mannnnnnnnn!

Tlynnles

tlynnles4@yahoo.com

VSG on 6/9/10 Dr. Aceves

Edited by Tlynnles
trying to add ticker

i am suffering with all sorts of eating, not just the emotional eating, so today i started the 5 day pouch test as per Tiffykins suggestion and let me tell you its one tough test! you go through carb withdrawl big time. . .all i wanted to eat today was white rice! terrible but the lentil and barley Soup and the different Protein smoothies kept me sane as well as the popsicles and crystal lite. . . ugh , the things we do for ourselves . . . .

i am suffering with all sorts of eating, not just the emotional eating, so today i started the 5 day pouch test as per Tiffykins suggestion and let me tell you its one tough test! you go through carb withdrawl big time. . .all i wanted to eat today was white rice! terrible but the lentil and barley Soup and the different Protein smoothies kept me sane as well as the popsicles and crystal lite. . . ugh , the things we do for ourselves . . . .

Where can I find the 5 day pouch test the Tiffykins suggested?

Tlynnles

VSG 6/9/10

Dr. Aceves

Where can I find the 5 day pouch test the Tiffykins suggested?

Tlynnles

VSG 6/9/10

Dr. Aceves

just google it on the search engine, 5 day pouch test

I think that the vast majority of us ARE emotional eaters. You are definately not alone. This forum is good, but not a substitute for live, in-person support. I have found a great deal of support for my emotional eating issues at Overeaters Anonymous. www.oa.org The suggestion they make is to try 3 meetings before deciding if OA is right for you. Good luck.

Thanks to all who read and have responded to this thread. Knowing that I am not alone is so very helpful. I have finally started seeing the scale move down again and I am close to 100 pounds gone which is so very major. I need to see what I have done right like the Protein Shakes and the exercise. Feeling so critical and hateful to myself all the time really makes me want to eat junk food for comfort.

I used to go to OA five or so years ago. Nothing that I did such as groups, books and therapists seemed to work so I had the surgery. However, those things are now my only hope to stay away from the wrong kinds of food that will sabotage my progress. Now, I would like to see how OA could help me post-op.

I hope and pray that everyone who craves comfort foods finds consolation in some other healthier way and finds some relief.

Pennie

Penny, I hope I see you tonight at our WLS meeting. I know how you feel, and I also know that Dr. C has us on a pretty strict routine.

You have done so well. You are still my mentor, and though you don't feel worthy right now, you will be able to help me later too. I'm so thankful that God has given you to me to know. You have had the stress of personal issues in your life and we all got over 300 lbs by not knowing how to handle it.

We turned to food, and now it makes us sick when we turn in that direction. That in itself is stressful. You said it yourself in so many words...we are our own worst enemies.

Someone above posted the scripture from Matthew about if something offends you 'cut it out and cast it from you' I feel like that scripture is exactly what happened when we went through our VSG's. We NOW ARE FREE...we just have to figure out how to live in that freeedom. And you know what...that's simple. Just follow the advice in our VSG books that we got from Gayle. I also feel that you may need to call her...she has been through all of this. I still rely on her through issues, even though she is not the one we are supposed to call right now. She has lived it, she still lives it...and loves being there for us.

You hang in there, girl. You are gonna make it. WE ARE SET FREE !!!!

I have the problem of getting angry for not being able to eat what I want. It's weird. I hope it goes away after the surgery--it just showed up during the pre-op diet.

I think that the vast majority of us ARE emotional eaters. You are definitely not alone. This forum is good, but not a substitute for live, in-person support. I have found a great deal of support for my emotional eating issues at Overeaters Anonymous. www.oa.org The suggestion they make is to try 3 meetings before deciding if OA is right for you. Good luck.

Ditto on OA for me. I have found that WITHOUT the capacity to eat-use food as I have for all of my life, I have tremendous anxiety over life's issues. The sleeve won't allow me to use the food as a coping mechanism any longer so my feelings are really raw and I'm not accustomed to dealing with them on a relatively empty stomach. OA is full of people who are learning alternate methods of dealing with life issues without using food as a means of escape. So having the surgery: a quick route to weight loss--for me is not the answer to much of my life's problems and I highly recommend trying OA for a month or so...it really helps. Also there is a forum here on 12 step group help...but the best way is to get involved with people in person. Later if you have tried you may phone me as using the phone to reach out to fellow OA members is one of the many tools used in OA to overcome the emotional attachment and use of food. PM me and I'll give you my number.