Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

popcorn....how long did you wait to eat it?

i took my 3 year old to see toy story 3 yesterday and got him some popcorn. i'm on 10 days out so i know to stay away from the stuff.

however, it made me curious about when other started eating it.

how long did you wait before you tried popcorn?

i asked this on another website and someone who is only a month out said that she eats is frequently..........i was very surprised since i thought it would be dangerous for someone who is only a month out.

I had a small 100 calorie redenbucker bag of popcorn at 4 months out and have never had another bag since. not that i had a problem with it, but it just wasn't as good tasting anymore. . .but if i get that nutty craving for popcorn again, i'll have another bag. . . maybe . . .

I used to love to go to the movies and enjoyed a huge bag of popcorn every time. But I am scared to try it with the sleeve. I don't know if I will try it once I'm several months out from surgery but I have heard stories about people eating too much popcorn and having big problems -- and they didn't have their stomach stapled. So I just decided that as much as I used to love popcorn, why risk it?

Maybe I will thinnk differently later on. I'll bet there's someone else on here who can give you more input on eating popcorn with the sleeve.

P.S. We have a movie theatre that serves real food and we have gone there a couple of times since my surgery. I've chosen a high Protein food when it was mealtime. I couldn't eat much, but it kept me from trying popcorn. When you go into a theater and take in that freshly popped popcorn aroma, it's not easy walking past the snack counter!

I was cleared for popcorn at 3 months out. It's very yummy to me - maybe even more so than before. Probably since it's such a treat.

However, it is unfortunate. I am amazed at how much of the stuff I can eat. I guess once you chew it up it becomes a slider food. I've been trying to measure out what I can eat & then slowly enjoy it during a movie instead of the the old way of popping a handful at a time.

My surgeon said 6-8 weeks out before having any because that layer that flakes off the kernels can get stuck where a staple is and cause an infection or a leak (same or anything with seeds)... of course they would prefer we never eat it since it's jut fluff carbs but hey we all did this surgery because it lets us eat the most "normally" right? At least part of the reason. So I plan to have a kids-size popcorn at the movies from time to time. I had already cut down to only getting a small popcorn every 3rd or 4th time I go to the movies, and the rest of the time nothing... so I think it will be easy for me to stick to. I used to love movie popcorn but lately it seems they let it sit out for hours til it's all stale so it's not worth it these days... I'm more likely to go for the nachos! But waiting until 6-8 weeks for that also. :)

I know I'm weeks away from being able to try it, but I was also curious about how long people waited before trying popcorn.< /p>

A big tub of popcorn during the A-Team movie was the only real "last supper" I did for myself.

Hi,

I, too, am afraid of those kernel shells in there. They stick to my mouth, throat and in between my teeth and gums. I can only imagine what they'll stick to or get stuck to in my sleeve...

I love popcorn, and just started eating it 3 mo. out.........I don't each much because of the carbs, but it feels great to have one of my favorite Snacks back.

I started having popcorn after about 6 weeks out, per my nutritionist's okay, with no problems. I eat it quite often. I pop it over the stove and add seasonings rather than butter. It is a carb but it's also a whole grain and I need the Fiber. It also has a decent amount of Protein so I see it as a good choice.

With the way most foods feel just trying to eat right now, I imagine it will take me a long time to try popcorn. I have never been a big fan of buttery popcorn, I like the caramel type! So since I am doing very low carb and it is working for me so I will wait until probably maintenance period to consider popcorn.

I waited eight weeks on my surgeon's advice before having popcorn, seeds, nuts, etc.

I also worried about being able to resist movie popcorn. What I've done is have my wife sneak in a couple snack-size bags of Smartfood in her purse and that limits my portion size but satisfies the cravings.

I had it at about 5-6 weeks out. Was never a huge fan before, but have stolen some of my daughters when we go to the movies. I haven't had any problems with it at all. I just chew it really really really good :thumbup1:

Speaking of stale popcorn, there's one theater nearby that if you go to one of the first movies of the day, their popcorn tastes absolutely GREEN! Moldy, nasty, yuk!

I'd love some popcorn but right now I don't trust myself. So all I have to do is think of that terrible green popcorn and I'm okay without it.

I do eat nuts though and have for probably 3 weeks. They don't seem to cause any problems and I too needed the ruffage. :-)