Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone, I had my surgery Wednesday the 31st. Everything went ok, other then me throwing up in recovery and then again when they brought me to my room. I did not take any pain medication in fear of throwing up again. Went in at 9:30 am and came home at about 5:30 pm. The day after and yesterday I have just cried about everything, someone can say hello and I cry. Is this normal? Will it go away? I am drinking plenty of Water and protien, although the protien makes me want to throw up... Isopure..... OMG! Anyway, I just need some reassuring that I did the right thing. I have kinda been feeling like, OMG why did I do this to myself. Please if anyone can help I appreciate it. Thank you! :help:

Hi Melissa *hugs*

It is very normal at this stage to ask "What have I done to myself?" I think we all did. You hang in there. Each day gets better. You'll be feeling like your old self again soon and then you'll start seeing the weight coming off. The first few weeks are a shock to your entire system. food changes, hormone changes, the shock of surgery and the drain of energy.. it all ads up to some emotional days. I promise it will pass.

As for the Protein drinks. Nature's Best makes a carb free, clear drink that comes pre-bottled and in fruit flavores. Its called Zero Carb and from what I've read the Frosty Grape is the best.

Keep us posted on your progress ok?

What you are feeling is so normal. I had my moments like that. They will pass. I was so sure that I had made a mistake. Now, about 10 months later I couldn't be happier, I know I didn't make a mistake I make a great choice. You will not believe how good you feel in just a short time.

I hated the isopure-actually had to try several different kinds until I found something I liked. Try some different ones, some appeal to some and not others.

Oh what your feeling is SO normal. You have just done something to permently change you! It's scary, exciting, sad, your saying good bye to the old protector....fat...not foot you will eventually be able to eat all those things you now fear you'll never be ble to have agian.

I now cry and get choked up when I walk PAST the plus sizes. It is a very strange feeling but the most wonderful feeling in the world.

Congratulations for taking this huge step to improving your health and living longer.

Melissa,

I think what you are feeling is what we all felt. I experienced that the first week after surgery. Hang in there. It will pass, I promise! You will start to feel normal again and think, "what the hell was I thinking! This is the best think I have ever done for myself". You'll see!

Also on the clear Protein issues-- New whey liquid Protein is like 4 oz of clear Protein with 25 grams and it tastes like liquified Jello @ only 100 calories.

www.fitnessfirstUSA.com has them!

Keep your head up, you've been through a lot in the past week! Things will get better, and seeing that scale go down may help cheer you up.

The surgery and the changing lifestyle I equated to a "divorce" from food and I cried a lot too. No one else understood it. But you're going through a lot, just give yourself some time to relax, and realize you don't have to stress out, take it one step at a time!

:girl_hug: Kristin

Hey Kristen,

How did you loose so much weight so fast? I took a double take when I saw how much you have lost since March. Thats great, make me think I can do this. Keep up the good work!!

I stayed one night in the hospital and was fine (doped up), but the second night, my first night home, I cried all night. I couldn't believe I had done this to myself! I had shoulder pain and nothing helped really make it go away. Everything hurt and I was so emotional. By day 4 I was so much better, and by day 5 I was driving, walking a mile, and feeling like I knew I had done the right thing. I have been told that the anesthesia can stay in your system for awhile and can have effects that mimic depression. Its also a big step in what I can only assume has been a big struggle for you (weight loss). You will love that you did this! Good luck -- take it easy, follow your doctors orders and take care!! Oh--as for ispoure -- BLAH! I never liked it. I started with Carnation Instant Breakfast mixed with milk and unflavored Unjury Protein Powder. I have tried a few since being banded (10/04) and now use GNC's whey Protein in french vanilla - I mix it with oj, van yogurt & milk and it tastes like an orange julius, or I mix it with frozen strawberries/banana/milk and its kind of like a daquiri...sometimes you have to use your imagination! anyway - good luck and congrats on being banded!

Kristin

I experienced the same feelings as you are right now. I had a week where I felt extra-emotional and I would just cry for no big reason. I was getting pretty scared about it. Luckily it passed and now I feel great. I really think my body released the extra estrogen that gets stored in fat or something. Part of my brain knew I was being irrational but the other side just kept making me cry!! Someone else said that anethesia can cause this response in some people so I don't know what really caused the problem but I'm glad I feel better now.

Someone mentioned above about liquid Protein. I use that too. My brand is called New Whey Liquid Protein and I get it from: http://www.wholesalesupplementstore.com/new-whey-liquidprotein.html

It tastes fine to me and is easier to get down than Protein shakes.

Hang in there and let us know if you need extra support!

This is major surgery and most people experience the blues after surgery. It is hardon your body and the anesthetic really throws you for a loop. Plus you've just been forced to change your eating and drinking. It will get much better. You need to take your pain meds. If they make you sick you need to get nausea meds from your doctor in either a suppository or wrist cream (phenergan).

Hey Kristen,

How did you loose so much weight so fast? I took a double take when I saw how much you have lost since March. Thats great, make me think I can do this. Keep up the good work!!

Thanks! I've lost 40 lbs since march by just following a South Beach type diet and going to Jazzercise 4-6 times a week for an hour each time. I go back for my 3 month check-up tomorrow so I hope my doc will be pleased! (Edited to add- I also religiously get my Protein in and monitor my calorie on www.fitday.com)

While I got the band so that I don't have to follow diets anymore, the way I look at it is if I do this for 10-12 months and hit my goal quickly, I can let go of the dieting mentality and then learn to maintain. That's what I've always had trouble doing.

:rolleyes: Kristin

I was never depressed or doubting myself post-op so I have to call an exception to the "we all felt it" approach BUT - I do agree, give it time. My pre-op psychologist told me I would likely feel this. I think I just spent so long debating it & mulling it over in my head (for years!) that I'd already gotten over that part of it early.

Isopure made me want to hurl when I was mixing it with Water. Are you mixing with Water? If you are, try some "Fat free Carb Countdown" milk made by Hood. 45 calories, no fat, no carbs, 9g Protein per 8 oz. What flavor are you using? If choco or vanilla, whiz a little Peanut Butter in it... or sugar free DaVinci Kahlua Syrup. Pour over ice. I *enjoy* my Protein drinks now, but was reasy to gag at the thought of another one made with ice.