Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone I go in for my first consultation on July 1st. I work in a hospital and was told that in cutting away the fundus you loose the stomach to brain hunger signal. Can any of you share some of your experiences with the loss of hunger. Do you stop felling hungry all the time?

Thanks

Kevin

I can't say that I never experience hunger, but I can say that I don't feel hungry "all the time" anymore. When I do feel hungry, I eat a small portion of something and the hunger goes away. Given the fact that I'm eating well under 1000 calories a day, that's pretty amazing.

for me it was different, never lost that sensation. . always hungry. . i have to use my will power all the time to fight the hunger demon, but oh well. . .it works great for some people, but for me i guess the ghelin was hiding in other places! hehehe. . . thank goodness this surgery has allowed me not to be able to pig out as i used to. . .when i get hungry i usually drink things now instead of eat. . .there are days that many emotions/hunger take over and slider foods get the best of me, but not often. . .thank goodness too, i've not gained weight! good luck

Edited by thinoneday

Unfortunately, I'm one of those that still feels hunger also. I was told that the majority of ghrelin pumps (you know what I mean) would be in the part of the stomach that was cut out. But I guess I still have other areas that excrete it, and despite taking an acid reducer daily, I still feel hungry. Of course it's less than before surgery, but it can still be there for some people.

I've not had a "hunger pang" since the surgery, but I know when I'm hungry. I just get a gaunt, empty feeling....and I may feel a little light-headed or low energy. I still have a appetite for sweets though, but my sleeve prevents me from eating them except in small amounts.

I'm one year and 4 months out... and have NO hunger whatsoever! I just make sure I eat on schedule.

Breeezy.... I wish I could say the same. but I can eat candy and chocolate a lot better than I can eat food. That my friend has been my downfall.

If I can give a word of advvice to the "newbies" don't ever start back with the "sweets"......... addicting and like I said.. i can eat that easier than "real meal"

My wife had her sleeve done in Febuary and she still had some hunger for a couple of weeks. We found out this is due to the fact that the hunger hormone is stored in the pancreus. After a while her feelings of hunger faded. I actually have to remind her sometimes to grab a quick bite.

Her body does however let her know that shes gone too long by an almost low blood sugar weak feeling so its best to keep on a schedule.

Good luck!

Kevin

Soon to sleeved on the 29th of June

Grehlin is produced by both the stomach and pancreas. My gut (no pun intended) tells me that when hunger occurs, it's most likely from the pancreas. Carbs can set it off, but for me, it is still not like having normal hunger by any means.

I never experience hunger. I mean literally never. I can go 16 hours without eating, and then think "Holy crap, I need to eat".

Smelling foods don't even trigger real hunger. It's weird and difficult to explain, but I love it and won't complain. If I'm active, running errands, mall shopping, bowling, swimming stuff like that, I have to eat something because my body tell kind of tells me. I can't explain it, I don't get woozy, or weak, or gross feeling, just kind of empty and needing fuel.

I'll echo what Chancie mentions about sweets. I haven't seen a regain, but Heath and Snicker's miniatures slide right down, and give zero feelings of true satiety. Grant it, I only eat 2-3 of those little boogers instead of 10-15. It's still about choices, and it's more difficult today to make the "best" choice than it was 6 months ago.

diddo on both Chancie and Tiffy. . i find that i can eat sweets so much better then meat! meat is uncomfortable, cheesecake isn't! salads hurt, rolos don't! but then of course, i have been really fortunate that i've not gained 200 lbs already, but i've been stuck on my weight now for 1 month. . . ugh. . .so tomorrow i start the 5 day pouch thingy and then hopefully i'll be back on track with life and get a moving once again!

I didn't have any hunger at all for first 2 1/2 weeks or so and now only have REAL hunger (slight). It's like Breezy said - kind of like a empty feeling but not a gnawing hunger. And Chancie, 181 lbs in a year!!!!!! Fabulous! Wow! I'm excited for all of you. I've lost 27 lbs in about 3 weeks - can't wait until I'm out 5-6 months and see where I'll be.

I have experienced hunger from the start and if I haven't eaten for a while and am really hungry I will eat too much and too fast and end up being sick. I don't know when to stop either so have to plate up small portions and not go back for seconds. I never had that problem with my band and have to admit that that was only advantage it had over my sleeve as I rarely felt hungry and was quickly satiated on very small portions. Have no regrets though as the sleeve has stopped me regaining weight.

Hey everyone I go in for my first consultation on July 1st. I work in a hospital and was told that in cutting away the fundus you loose the stomach to brain hunger signal. Can any of you share some of your experiences with the loss of hunger. Do you stop felling hungry all the time?

Thanks

Kevin

Hey Kev!

I was sleeved 11 days back here in Michigan and I can tell you I haven't had a single pang since I woke up. It still feels weird. Like sitting down to dinner or seeing people eat. I know I should be hungry but I'm not.

Some people seem to get phantom pangs or signals as well and from research my wife tells that can be stomach acid creating a quick silent pang that goes away almost immediately.

I can say I don't miss it. Though I know I do have to keep myself on a schedule or I might get busy and forget to eat.

Kev

I don't feel much hunger, and if I ignore it it goes away. I used to eat and eat and never feel satisfied. I am very happy that this demon has gone. But what to fill the gap with? This is the psychological issue for many of us.

As with others, I have not yet had a hunger pang, though my sleeve was fairly recent ... I have to remember to eat, and the difficulty for me is that I have no 'fancy' to eat anything in particular... In desperation yesterday for something to eat because I had to, I had a Slimfast strawberry shake (I hope that is okay to do that?)