Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

tomorrow = 4 weeks post op and tonight was the first night having salmon

Hey guys,

Well tomorrow I am 4 weeks post op. Tonight I had my first real Protein meal, I have been sticking to crab salad, chicken salad, tuna salad as long as it had mayo and could go down easy.

I am finding this to be very difficult. I gew really well but I am having a hard time taking small enough bites or swallowing too much food at once. I end up having a pain in my left shoulder and an uncomfortable feeling.

HELP!! /cry

:tongue2::001_wub:

im one month post op tomorrow too....its still real hard for me to eat anything different also. tuna Chic salad and Egg go down the best. Im starting to eat OH YEah Protein bars....that goes down suprisingly well too....just takes all day to eat it. I went to lunch today and had 3 bites of fish and 2 fries...i couldnt help myself....got VERY full...went home and threw up....i feel like i take to big of bites somethimes and I try to eat slow but when it taste so good sometimes I eat faster without thinking about it!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad I'm not alone. Maybe the sleeve vets can help us out some on what we might be doing wrong or what might help.

Hi Angie...you may just be advancing your diet a little too quickly. I was on "full liquids" for the first month. That included only pureed/strained foods and nothing thicker than yogurt. At 4 weeks, I was just starting the mushies (for 4 weeks) and my meals still included at lot of smooth foods as I was transitioning to more solids.

I wasn't sure I would ever be able to eat regular food again because it seemed so hard to get things down--but honestly, my surgery was 3/30 and I can eat anything now. I just have to have really small portions. Be patient with yourself...it's going to get easier!

Hi Lillie

My post op diet also says at 2 weeks I can have 'proper' food... so I'll be interested to see how this post works out.

Do you think your bougie size affects it? Are you on the smaller side - I'm done with a 32f.

Kathy

I stayed on mushies a bit longer than required, too. My tummy just was not ready for regular food when the schedule said I could have it.

It'salso not unusual to have to "back up" occasionally. Even at 9 months, if I have a day when my tummy feels upset I go back to Protein shakes for a day, and it settles down fine. Listen to your tummy and treat it right...it will reciprocate!

Thanks guys. Well i am 4 weeks out today. and I had fish for lunch that again didn't settle well. Next week I am suppose to move to solids and I just don't see it happening. Maybe I need to stay on mushies a little longer then expected.

Sparkle mine is also 32f

I am 10 weeks out and still get pain in my shoulder if I eat too fast or swallow too much at once. It has to do with getting too full. Cut back on how much you are eating and stop before you're full...also chew until it is completely watery in your mouth. It's a real challenge for all of us I think. When I am too hungry I forget and I suffer...but lost 40 pounds so far...wooot woot..it's worth it..

Seaview

Thanks seaview. I am also getting that pain in the left shoulder. I thought I was taking small bites and chewing well but maybe I need to step up my game a little.

yeah it's not only the chewing though...it's getting too full...and sometimes the sleeve gets irritated I think and you have to back off the solids a bit and do mush again for awhile or liquid. I do that sometimes...it's a work in progress..

SEaview