Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am in the process of surrogacy and helping familys have babies! I'm over weight but healthy otherwise and am ok to get pregnant. I really would like to know if I would still be able to do surrogacy after I have vsg? Any help or comments would be great! Thanks!

Guest Stephanie

I dont know specifically about surrogacy, but the dr. will generally clear you for pregnancy. I believe Tiffykins has been cleared and she is 1 year out. Best wishes.

The materials I was given by my doctor emphasized it was very important that I not get pregnant for at least two years after surgery. (Not that it was an issue for me -- I'm 51 and long past wanting to have more kids!)

as a blessed mom through the gift of surrogacy and as an intended mom to be in august, i would think that having a BMI over 30 would limit you from being a gestational surrogate with most agencies and most fertility clinics. i do know that with the sleeve, after a period of time you can have a pregnancy...... i do not know if it would have stopped me from selecting a surrogate. most who go through infertility to the point that a gestational surrogate is an option are the very end of treatment options. the surrogates health was my biggest concern... mentally and physically. so it may have been of concern for me and i have a BMI of 31.8 and want the sleeve my self. just when you are at the point of selection... it may have made a difference. good luck and thank you for your willingness to carry a dream. kelly

Thanks for the replies! I know I can lose enough wt to do the surrogacy and be healthy but I also know after baby ill be big again. Think I'm going to be sleeved after this fisrt surro. And wait till my wt. Is stable and try and help out other families! I'm still young and not in any rush to put myself or a baby at risk! Just want to be healthy and helpful! Thanks!

as a blessed mom through the gift of surrogacy and as an intended mom to be in august, i would think that having a BMI over 30 would limit you from being a gestational surrogate with most agencies and most fertility clinics. i do know that with the sleeve, after a period of time you can have a pregnancy...... i do not know if it would have stopped me from selecting a surrogate. most who go through infertility to the point that a gestational surrogate is an option are the very end of treatment options. the surrogates health was my biggest concern... mentally and physically. so it may have been of concern for me and i have a BMI of 31.8 and want the sleeve my self. just when you are at the point of selection... it may have made a difference. good luck and thank you for your willingness to carry a dream. kelly

I am seeing an OB that takes a lot of sleeve patients. The morning sickness medication alone when you have a sleeve (strong stuff, not standard stuff, to keep you hyrdated) will set you back in excess of $100 a week (in Australia, probably a lot more in the USA). You have to have a lot of extra ultrasounds for growth checks towards the end. I can't imagine anyone suggesting surragacy is a good idea afterwards for you or the baby especially due to the increased cost and risk of using somebody with a sleeve.... only if the baby was for yourself and you were happy to deal with the risks.

Don't get me wrong my baby is healthy weight and size for 20w and i'm greatful to have her inside me but the health effects to me have been quite bad, medications and extra testing, the cost is astronomical.

Cammy,

Thanks for your input! I think I'm gonna just do this one surrogacy and have the surgery. I'm gonna have another baby of my own but not for a few more years so that might be better on my body to wait. I always read that the bypass you shouldn't have babies cuz you won't get everything you need, but you can get most of what you need once you are stable in your wt after sleeve. As for the meds, my insurance covers all meds with $25 dollor copay. And if they wouldn't pay for extra ultrasounds then I could get them free at the clinic I work at. I'm a nurse that works with OB and family practice doctors and we do sono's in the office. But like you said I don't think I would risk it either! So I'm not going to do surrogacy after sleeve. I have had few Surrogacy Agency's say its fine after 18mns, but I'm not going to risk it for a family that's already spent enough to get to surrogacy. Thanks for your input girl!

Congrats on your little one!!

Krystl