Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yes Dorothy there are Fairies in the Arctic!

Just wanted to say hi from the high arctic.

Only now realized there was a GLBT forum not a lot of posts though.

I tried private chatting with a couple of women on here but I think they thought I was hitting on them. I can see their point, so I decided to out myself and let you know I am not a creepy fat dude looking for dates. :svengo:

I am hoping to have my surgery at the end of June or early July in TJ. If there is anyone out there that has gone to TJ and wants to talk or can settle my nerves please let me know. I am considering Alamanza, Osuna or Ortega.

(Yes I have read and reread the posts on Alamanza).

Also if anyone is looking for a surgery buddy my schedule is open just waiting on my passport.

I am getting flack from my partner about having the surgery. I think he is just freaking out because he cares and thinks I am just fine the way I am. But he is one of those people who can eat a tub of ice cream and half a chocolate cake every evening and not gain an ounce. I don't think he get's it.

I on the other hand gain wait just walking by the stuff. I can live on rice cakes only on not drop a pound. I have obesity in my family and can see the pattern. I just don't want to go there.

Sorry now I'm just rambling.

Thanks and peace.

Happy Day Folks! :biggrin0:

Will

Welcome. My partner can eat like that and remain thin as well, but he understands, and is very supportive. Best of luck on your surgery. Have you considered Aceves at all? He seems to have a good rep.

Thanks for responding.

Yes. I considered Aceves but it comes down to price. The airfare from here to there costs almost as much as surgery itself. So, I have narrowed it down to 3 affordable surgeons. Plus my BMI is not as I as some so I am not in the high risk group.

I'm a quick healer and considered still healthy. Plus I don't need all the fluff and coddling after surgery so lower cost and no frills is my goal.

I think it sucks that gay men put so much emphasis on weight and looks. We fat gay dudes get a double wammy there.

I noticed when I was 100lbs lighter I used to get cruised like crazy. Now I'm lucky if they'll tell me the time. lol..

Thank god I have a loving supportive partner so I'm not on the market anymore.

Will

Hey there, I read somewhere that there was a surgeon doing an inverted stitch instead of stapling and he's not even charging for the surgery just for hossy cost and it comes to like 7k. Here's the info from Betterbytheday

"Fewer and fewer companies are offering Major Medical insurance and even then there's no guarantee that you'll qualify. Getting any job right now is difficult and one with great medical is even harder. If you really want the surgery that bad, you may want get ANY job that pays decently (preferably one with tipping) and put aside the money and self pay. Dr. Cottam in Salt Lake is doing the Vertical Sleeve Plication (see it on youtube) for an out the door price of $6900, I know this as I called his office this last week, as my best friend's in your position. The plication has no staples, the stomach is folded in on itself and stitched, really safe and short recovery time. That's not unreasonable, and includes everything. He's one of the only surgeons doing Plication in the US and is a top surgeon to boot, he's trying to get a base of people to help get the plication covered by insurance. He's not charging for his actual surgery services to do this. It's a great opportunity. The actual cost is $6375 but there's a $500 blood work up and Admin costs. so I just rounded up to $6900 with the hotel cost on the front end. But that doesn't include Airfare but you can shop that and get it cheap. Everyone's finances are different but just thought I'd put that out there."

Hope that helps! My bestfriend has been partnerless for a long time due to his weight. :blink: I'm thinking of suggesting the surgery to him after I have mine done.

Thanks!

I saw that post your referring to already. Seems like there is to much stuff left to go wrong with. I think it's called stomach plication or the super sleeve. A couple of people on the board have posted about it.

I would be to scared I would rip the stitches out from stuffing my face to much (give me an inch and I will take a mile). lol...

Yeah it might be good to mention it to your friend. It sucks being gay and single. Gay single and overweight is doubly worse. He should do it while he's young and still has his youth to enjoy it.

:(

Will

Hang in there Will! I understand how you feel 100%. It can be really hard when so much of our society focuses on looks. I am cheering for you! :thumbup1:

Good luck with your surgery. I thought I had good insurance and it still is going to cost about 5K with all the co-insurance for the hospital. Glad I had it though, no problems, just trying to stick to my diet and get all the Protein in and fluids. Will be on regular food in a week, can't wait. You really can't eat too much at one time, the only thing you could do wrong is eat too often and too high a calorie food.

I'm GLBT friendly, my husband was really not on board with this surgery in the beginning either and at first he was watching everything I put in my mouth, very annoying though he just cares that I don't hurt myself. It's better now that there is not a risk for a leak.

Off topic:

Hope you don't mind me asking this. Can you explain the Dorothy part of being gay? I was on a cruise and they had all sorts of activities. All the activities had names. One of them was called "friends of Dorothy" Who is Dorothy and how does she pertain to being gay? The only Dorothy I know of is from the Wizzard of OZ. They never mentioned anything about her being gay. I have always wondered about this.

Good luck finding a surgeon. I hope you have an uneventful surgery and a quick recovery!

Lol.

Dorothy was played by Judy Garland. The original Gay icon.

Back before being gay was accepted. There was a code phrase to find out if someone was gay or not. If you asked them "Are you a friend of Dorothy?" you would be asking them if they were gay.

If they said "Huh!" or "who?" you knew they weren't, but if they said "Why yes I am darling!" you knew they were. :001_tt2:

there were other earlier code phrases like "is he/she musical?"

I hope that makes sense.

Will

I love this post, and don't know how I missed it. I remember hearing Kathy Griffin explaining the Dorothy thing on one of her stand up routines. Ohhh how I love her.

Best wishes with your surgery Will, I'm sure you'll do fabulous regardless of the surgeon choice.

Thanks Tiffykins,

I actually had my surgery on June 25th by Dr. Osuna in Tijuana and everything went fabulous. It's been a smooth ride.

Already 25lbs down. :001_tt2:

Will

Thanks Tiffykins,

I actually had my surgery on June 25th by Dr. Osuna in Tijuana and everything went fabulous. It's been a smooth ride.

Already 25lbs down. :lol0:

Will

AWESOME :001_tt2: 25lbs already is fabulous ! ! !

Is it? I thought I was losing kinda a slow. I guess we all think that though.

It's really strange everything seems to be going in reverse.

The more I eat the faster I seem to loose and when I eat my old feeling of hunger is my new feeling of fullness.

I feel like Dorothy in Oz now. Except one with big feet and broad shoulders. lol..

Off topic again!

Oh it's just like AA. People say are you a friend of Bill W. Bill W. is who wrote the AA Big Book. But I still don't get who Dorothy is.

I am so glad you had your surgery.

25 lbs is great in less than a month. You'll do great. The sleeve rocks and as long as you don't over do the carbs, the weight can't help but fall off.