Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much does the sleeve really stretch??

Thanks to everyone for your posts, it really helps to keep me focused! So easy when everyone else is eating junk to want a bite too. Made a delicious chocolate cake yesterday for everyone for Father's Day and I couldn't have any. But strangely enough I didn't really want it. It's starting to bother me to see other people eat horribly. Am I going to be a food Natzi?

I am 10 months out and I can definately eat more now than a few months ago but I can also still be satisfied still with a small amount. I really do feel best when I eat my lean Protein first, veggies and then moderate carbs IF I have room left, which I usually don't. I have had pizza, donuts, cake and some chocolate. After eating healthy for so long they really do make me feel bad. The sugar really gets my heart rate going and I get pretty dizzy. It's just not worth it.

Hi everyone -- I hear everyone talk about slider foods -- what are they? What does that mean?

Also, my NUT mentioned that I could not drink and eat at the same time abut I forgot why -- why?

drinking while eating will do 2 things, one, you will have less room right away for your Protein and nutrition, and 2 you will empty your stomach sooner, then be hungry again.

I'm told that the reason whya 32 bougie is now considered the standard, is that it has a track record for the least amound of stretching. I agree with the earlier posts that state that the stretchiest part of the stomach is removed.

My surgeon said at a Q & A seminar that is not the stomach that actually stretches over time but the intestine if a person over eats. And that it can actually burst which is very dangerous.

I'm told that the reason whya 32 bougie is now considered the standard, is that it has a track record for the least amound of stretching. I agree with the earlier posts that state that the stretchiest part of the stomach is removed.

I've never heard of the sizing being referred to in this way "32 bougie". What does that mean? I have seen other posts refer to the stomach sizing of the sleeve to be under 100ml or I think I saw 50 or 60 grams (?)....

I've never heard of the sizing being referred to in this way "32 bougie". What does that mean? I have seen other posts refer to the stomach sizing of the sleeve to be under 100ml or I think I saw 50 or 60 grams (?)....

A bougie is just a measuring tool used by surgeons to guide the stapler. It is NOT the measured size of the sleeve. The standard (or most popular) sizing is between 32-40 french. This does not determine the final size or capacity of the sleeve once the initial trauma and swelling has decreased, and the sleeve has matured. There is minimal difference in the sizes of the bougies as you can see by the PDF. Your anatomy (length), your surgeon's technique, and what we choose to eat determines capacity more than the bougie size. I can eat more than others with the same size of 34, 36 bougies, but that doesn't mean my sleeve has stretched anymore than theirs. I eat super slow, stretch my meals out, sip during my meal, and eat around my sleeve to get in my calories to maintain.

Here is a PDF chart that shows the sizes of bougies.

Page 5 is the one that is popular for use for our surgery type, mercury filled bougies are pretty outdated.

http://www.medovations.com/pdf/Esophageal_Dilatation.pdf

It kind of bothers me too. Luckily my husband is eating 'good'. He had a stent put in his heart almost two years ago and he is not the type that pops a cholesterol pill and lets it do the work.....the man reads labels and has changed his way of eating and his life. He rides 10 miles on a stationary bike 4 x's a week....has gone from red meat to now we eat bison almost exclusively.....he eats salad now. No oreos, butter....you get the picture. I started making changes when he did, so now we both watch what others are eating! You just can't help it!!! :)

Thanks to everyone for your posts, it really helps to keep me focused! So easy when everyone else is eating junk to want a bite too. Made a delicious chocolate cake yesterday for everyone for Father's Day and I couldn't have any. But strangely enough I didn't really want it. It's starting to bother me to see other people eat horribly. Am I going to be a food Natzi?

I can eat 4 to 6 ounces of Protein foods like Chili w/beans, fish, chicken salad, etc. I can eat much more in slider foods like cheese it's, cheeto's etc. because they are made of nothing...and end up like mush in your tiny stomach. That is why I can eat more of those, but I've totally stopped that completely because I was going in a bad direction...old habits creaping up on me. I could eat a Jr. Hamburger from Sonic for 1.00. But that would be my entire meal for lunch. I've had to stop that too, because of the carbs. in the bread. I don't feel my stomach has stretched...it's just the foods you choose. chips, crackers, chocolate, etc..go down easy, and you can eat more of them. Solid Protein foods fill you up and keep you full much much longer. My Dr. explained to me that the part of the stomach the the sleeve is made of, is the toughest part of the stomach. It has the most muscle, to it dosen't stretch like the lower part of the stomach. I believe that....Just make the best choices you can....eat smart....don't eat junk. I WAS eating junk for a while and I gained 5 lbs...in 2 weeks...that just devestated me...and I'm back on track now....And I'm staying on it. :)

Hi, I just wanted to ask...I haven't decided on the sleeve yet but reading your post makes me feel better abt it in the fear of being malnourished...may I ask you who your dr was, where you got yours done & also, from what I read, I already eat enough to be satisified like "jr hamburger from Sonic" or McDonalds, etc as my whole meal so it looks to me that the amt I eat already really doesn't seem to be any less than what it'll be after the sleeve. Were you able to drink anything w/your burger (burger is just an example), I'm really weaning myself off of junk but sometimes that's all there is so in the event I HAVE to eat something like that, just wanted to know what your experience has been. I normally prefer the grilled chicken over a burger any day so would I need to just get a plain one & dump the bun?? Thanks!!!

I've found myself at the mall a couple of times where I had to eat at the food court and ended up eating at McDonald's. I couldn't possibly eat a small hamburger I don't think....and I'm never hungry anyway, so what I eat so I am getting Protein, and I basically stopped eating white bread months before surgery.....I ate the small cheese burger....and it was WONDERFUL. I ditched the bun altogether. Just the meat, cheese and it had those little diced onions on it, the pickle and I can't remember if it comes with ketchup or mustard or both....but it is great and when you read the nutritional stuff and then minus the 'bun' - it's not so bad! I do not drink when I eat.

Hi, I just wanted to ask...I haven't decided on the sleeve yet but reading your post makes me feel better abt it in the fear of being malnourished...may I ask you who your dr was, where you got yours done & also, from what I read, I already eat enough to be satisified like "jr hamburger from Sonic" or McDonalds, etc as my whole meal so it looks to me that the amt I eat already really doesn't seem to be any less than what it'll be after the sleeve. Were you able to drink anything w/your burger (burger is just an example), I'm really weaning myself off of junk but sometimes that's all there is so in the event I HAVE to eat something like that, just wanted to know what your experience has been. I normally prefer the grilled chicken over a burger any day so would I need to just get a plain one & dump the bun?? Thanks!!!

I don't feel that my sleeve has stretched very much in the last few months. There was quite a big difference between the first month and say, 3rd, when the swelling had gone down. But if my sleeve has stretched since the 3rd month, it hasn't been to an extent that's easily noticeable. Around month #1, I could have 1 egg for breakfast; now I can have 2. I've seen some people mention that their sleeve appears to be tighter in the morning, and that generally seems to be the case to me, as well. I never have a problem eating an entire Protein bar for my afternoon snack, but this morning, I couldn't finish my Breakfast bar. My stomach capacity generally seems to vary from one day to another. Some days it feels like I'm back to first month post-op, and other days, I can almost eat a normal serving of food. Same thing with hunger - some days I could eat every 2 hours, other days, I barely want to touch food.< /p>

I hate hamburgers, but on one occasion about 2 months ago I had a grilled chicken sandwich. I took the top bun off and could only finish half of the sandwich in one sitting. I doubt I'll be able to have an entire chicken sandwich, with the bun and all, anytime soon.

hey there! nope i don't think mine has stretched much either. . i get full at about 6 oz of food and really full at about 8 oz. . a lean cusine fills me up just fine with a tinsy bit of discomfort . . . in the beginning of course tummy was swollen and such but i've always done pretty well at 6 oz. . .i'm a little more then 1 year out now and feel great. . .

Thanks to all who reply...keep them coming. I appreciate each of your replies. It really does help & I'm leaning more toward the sleeve everyday...I just have trouble making decisions b/c I wanna make sure that I choose right for myself. Thanks again! Y'all have been great!

Hey April Sleever,

My surgery was Monday 16th and I am so greatful. Let me start by saying yes there is a little nervous reation the closer you get to the date but it is all good. After surgery I have not taken any pain meds at all except what was given prior to coming out of surgery. No pain what so ever. My starting weight was 284 in 2 weeks of my pre op diet I lost 20 lbs weighting 264 and now 3 days since surgery I have lost an additional 3 lbs. I know everyone is different but if you have come this far you can do it. I woke up monday morning made it to Dr. curry's office in Cinci Ohio was sleep and woke up on my thin journey. Trying to drink 1 to 2 ounces every 20 minutes is hard to do which is a first ever for me when it comes to food. Much success to all my April Sleever. I will keep you posted!