Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone -

I am scheduled to get sleeved in July and totally can't get enough of the post-op stories and reading how everyone is doing!! I am just curious, would like people to be completely honest and tell me if they have issues with sagging skin with such a quick loss? The before and after pics are so wonderful to look at and for the most part, I can't see where sagging skin is a problem for people. I have about 145 lbs to lose, and cant wait to get my life back!

Kathy

Hey Kathy, I have some excess skin. Is it a horrific sight, no. My arms are still pretty flabby, and kind of wrinkly, my stomach is wrinkly but has lifted and is rebounding nicely.

I have a some wrinkly skin on my inner thighs and on the outside of the butt, like at the bottom and sides of my cheeks.

I can build more butt muscle to help fill in the butt wrinklyness. I figure in a couple of years the arms, thighs and butt will work themselves out. I will have a Tummy Tuck after we have another baby. The boobs are a lost cause and I'll pay to have those fixed.

I really don't let the wrinkly skin bother me. It's just part of me now, the fat rolls bothered me more. Some days, it bothers me, but for the most part I just take it all in stride.

I am in the same boat as you, worried about the sagging skin. I think everyone worries about it. But I have made a commitment to the gym starting the week after next and hopefully building some muscle while I lose will help me. I also think that waiting 1 to 2 years after weightloss for any type of reconstruction is a very good guideline. We will be losing so fast that our skin needs time to adjust and mode to the new frame. My mom has already "determined" that I will want my breasts done so she has started a "boob fund" in my honor. LOL. Thanks ma. But I really don't think much about the skin anymore, the most important thing to me right now is getting this weight off.

I'm hoping that most of the skin will pull back, eventually. But I'm also planning on hitting the gym, hard, to give that skin something besides fat to adhere to :wink0:

Hey Kathy... I'm still losing fairly consistently and have noticed my first saggy skin area... my inner thighs. Sigh. My arms are ok so far and who knows what my abdomen will look like! Nothing is too bad, yet, and I am targeting areas for workouts!

Good luck.

It is a tough one. I am having a tummytuck and breast reduction next month. Like Tiffykins said, it does not look aweful - unless I am naked - but it bothers me. One of the biggest things for ME is that it is a constant reminder of when I was overweight. I bought some skinny jeans - it rocked - for a trip, but it is sometimes hard to feel skinny when you have rolls of skin on the top of the jeans. I am gonna live around the thighs - I am just so thankful they can run! But the tummers apron will soon be a goner.

I have the same basics as Tiff, except that I find the bolts of excess skin I seem to have around my middle the worst. Clothed I look awesome, naked....yuck. I hate to say it but I feel worse about my body naked now than before (stupid, I know!!!). I also have issues that the skin seems to roll around onto my super skinny back now too...LOL! Sometime I have to roll my shoulders forward to lean back into a chair or when I am laying in bed or it feels like I am laying on something. Now, I have exceeded my personal 100 pound goal (doc said 70) and my doctor says I need to stop now but it is hard...LOL! I know I will eventually need a Tummy Tuck to cut away all that hanging flab but jeez, it does suck. But I am still thrilled with the procedure!!! Just wish my belly button was back where it belonged!

KathyM:

I was sleeved September 29, 2009. To date I've lost 87 pounds and still losing but slower.

I was 61 when sleeved.....so yes, I have sagging skin....but the best part is that I'm 87 pounds smaller......So, would I do it again? In a HEARTBEAT...sagging skin can be fixed but I figure I'm old anyway so I just attribute it to old age!

Best of luck to you.

Donna

I have some saggy skin too. I think my arms are the worst. I wear sleeves that go to my elbows. I notice the skin on my legs too. It is wrinkley but not floppy like my arms. I have lost over 5o lbs but I am also 51 years old so I am sure that makes a difference. I hope it will get better but at this point I am not sure. I was sleeved on Dec 29th. I plan to have a Tummy Tuck if I can get the $$. If anyone thinks it really does get better, please let me know.

Now I'm nearing my goal weight, yes, I do have some excess skin. Far less than I feared, though! Mostly I think because I've been losing weight for a total of five years now, first by myself, then with the sleeve, so my skin had time to catch up with the first big weight loss first. I hope it will with this one, too, but if it doesn't, hey, it's fine with me. I love being this slim (just slid into normal BMI and it feels great) and never expected to look like a model without my clothes on :lol0:

I have major sagging in the mid section, some on the arms and thighs, but it's the face that is bothering me. I am 59 and my face suddenly looks like it is melting. I don't want to go under the knife if I don't have to, but I need to get rid of this turkey neck and saggin chin. Any advice is appreciate :willy_nilly:)

I am already seeing some sagging in my mid-section and on my arms. I don't think that there is anything that I can do for the stomach area. Eventually I will need surgery, I am sure. The arms are a different story. I think I can work on that once I am allowed to do some strength training.

I found this article on donating skin if you do have the surgery to remove it. You should have lost a least 100 lbs. At least it is a way to help someone else while becoming beautiful : )

How to Donate Skin After Bariatric Surgery

Donate Skin After Bariatric Surgery | LIVESTRONG.COM

Finding hope in donations of 'excess' skin

Finding hope in donations of 'excess' skin - The Boston Globe

Edited by delawaregal
typo

My "highest weight" was 373- sugery day I was 354.... so I have actually ost 200 pounds..... am 51 years old... so YES. I have sagging skin!

I've always had "good skin" but age and the amount of weight I have lost it is enevietablle that I have the sagging skin.

I never dreamed my legs would be as skinny as they are!! My butt is all but gone!! That was the main "shocker" of sagging.... it was horrible at 4 months when I lost 100 pounds... but it has firmed up a bit.. not as horrible as it first was to me.

My stomach is the BIG issue.....my lower stomach... it has "shrunk" but sags. and I definitly need a lower body lift.

I can live with it..... but will eventually have a lower body lift. Probably next year.

I look good in clothes. but OMG.. not nakeeeee!!

But it still beats being 354 pounds!!! I don't worry about it.. I mean.. I want to look better nakee.... but am not obsessed with it. I feel better. that was the main reason for me doing this... to get healthy. Not vainity. But lets face it... we're all vain to a certain degree.

If I was 40- I would probably be freaking out more.. but being 51... its part of life.... and getting older.. But am seriously wanting the lower body lift.... I can handel the boobs gone too and the arms... but the stomach is the main issue!!