Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Yaz and other BC Pills for PCOS

In the few months past, I had switched from Alesse to Yaz because of pcos acne.

I got Migraines and even fevers on this. I've switched back to Alesse so I only have the acne problem now ;D

Anyone else have bad experiences/good on your BC?

I have PCOS and I had the same issues with birth control pills. I switched to the Nuva Ring and I love it I don't have acne and I don't have the severe migranes and cramps like before you should look into the Nuva Ring!

I'm thinking about seeing my gyn to switch to Nuva-Ring since I'd prefer a non-oral birth control method. I'm currently on Ocella which is the generic form of Yasmin, and while it works as well or better than other oral BCPs I've been on, I still get very bad Migraines before and during my period. My acne is much improved but my skin still isn't as nice as I would like, or as nice as it was when I took another BCP (I forget which one it was now...)

Now I'm really anxious to check out Nuva-Ring if it can help with the migraines!

I was put on Yaz for my pcos and it didn't do a dang thing. When I talked to a medic about it she was surprised I had been put on Yaz at my weight. She said she wouldn't suggest Yaz for pcos for anyone weighing more than 130 pounds! My acne wasn't improved and I was constantly spotting and cramping so she switched me to Yazmin instead. It improved my skin (not the scars tho) but I'm still spotting and cramping.

The surgeon told me to go off BC pills now, two weeks prior to surgery, and that I can go back on them a month after surgery. But is it worth it? Is clear skin worth constant cramping, spotting, and a seemingly constant state of pms? :lol0:

I've heard that PCOS symptoms can be greatly reduced after vsg. Has anyone experienced this?

I was put on Yaz for my pcos and it didn't do a dang thing. When I talked to a medic about it she was surprised I had been put on Yaz at my weight. She said she wouldn't suggest Yaz for pcos for anyone weighing more than 130 pounds! My acne wasn't improved and I was constantly spotting and cramping so she switched me to Yazmin instead. It improved my skin (not the scars tho) but I'm still spotting and cramping.

The surgeon told me to go off BC pills now, two weeks prior to surgery, and that I can go back on them a month after surgery. But is it worth it? Is clear skin worth constant cramping, spotting, and a seemingly constant state of pms? :confused1:

I've heard that PCOS symptoms can be greatly reduced after vsg. Has anyone experienced this?

That is also what I've heard

My doctor told me that pcos would reverse itself with weight loss because my hormones would re-balance. (Fat produces estrogen, which throws the other hormones out of whack). I stopped taking my Spirolactone and my BC pills and I actually feel better, and periods are semi-normal. I don't get sleeved until Wednesday, so I'm just expecting things to get better. I was able to lose weight on the pre-op diet, so I know the pcos doesn't make weight loss impossible.

I refuse to go on BC. With PCOS our hormones are already out of wack. More hormones doesn't seem like a good solution for that.

Any one suggest Metformin? Its been a lifesaver for me.

I refuse to go on BC. With PCOS our hormones are already out of wack. More hormones doesn't seem like a good solution for that.

Any one suggest Metformin? Its been a lifesaver for me.

I take Metformin ER for about 1 year now. It is definitely regulating my period, but the painful cramps and heavy bleeding are still an issue though diminished. I'm not sure that I'd recommend it, as I still have issues with anemia. And as I haven't been sleeved yet, it's starting to bite me in the butt. The date might get pushed off if it isn't under control. :(

Almost all of my PCOS symptoms have disappreared. I have a copper IUD. And have had no issues with acne or Migraines since surgery. Not to mention regular periods. I had very sever PCOS and I dont think I would be diagnosed with it now.

I've been on NuvaRing since November now, but it isn't doing as well for my Migraines or acne as I think the Yasmin did. Also, the past 2 months, my period has started almost a week early. I'm going to give it another few months since I still have 3 rings left, but I might have to switch back.

I have been on Metformin this entire time and now that I'm down almost to the weight where my PCOS symptoms first started appearing, I am hoping to see some changes — so far nothing though. Everyone is different, however, just gotta keep trying until something works! At least I feel much better having dropped almost 100 lbs, so that is something! Any progress is still progress. :)

There will likely be some TMI in this post so consider yourself warned lol.

BCPs are horrible little buggers for me. The ONLY one I can take and not be COMPLETELY miserable is Ortho-cyclin (NOT ortho-tri-cyclin). The others are horrible, and Yaz was the worst for me. I practically hemorrhaged during AF while I was on it. I would soak a super plus tampon before I could even stand up off the pot and get re-dressed. On top of that AF lasted TWO weeks not one!!

I tried the Mirena and I would have taken the yaz over that any day. I had Migraines, dizzy spells, hot flashes, night sweats, gained 60 pounds in the 6 months I had it (I am a big girl but I don't gain weight THAT fast and as soon as it was removed I lost about half of it so....), had a horrible scraping feeling in my uterus, severe stabbing pains every time I climaxed, the list goes on and on.

All we can use are condoms or withdraw. I swore off hormonal BC after the Mirena. JMHO, but when you add hormones into hormonal chaos you are asking for trouble, at least that is the way it has played out for me.

My word of caution....I actually got a blood clot in my leg and one in each lung from taking Yaz. I have no other blood clot indicators (no sticky blood, no clot disorders). I was traveling internationally often, but I made sure to get up and walk around during the flights. I took blood thinners for 6 months, stopped Yaz, and have not had a clotting issue since. They watched me very closely after surgery, and I did not have any issues.

So, to me, Yaz is not worth the risk.

I take Metformin ER for about 1 year now. It is definitely regulating my period, but the painful cramps and heavy bleeding are still an issue though diminished. I'm not sure that I'd recommend it, as I still have issues with anemia. And as I haven't been sleeved yet, it's starting to bite me in the butt. The date might get pushed off if it isn't under control. :(

You may want to ask your doctor about taking the extended release Metformin. From what I understand, VSG patients should never take anything extended release. Just a heads up :)