Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Taking your regular medications?

I have been reading alot of posts by people who are taking liquid vitamins, tylenol, etc. and now I am starting to worry a little. I take one medication for arthritis and one for blood pressure - I am having my sleeve surgery July 15th (yaaay!) so do I have to stop taking them when I am doing my clear liquid preop? And what about afterwards? I know that my doc will tell me what to do, I was just curious what other people have done.

My surgeons instructions allow meds immediately post op as long as they are not controlled release or extended release, and the pills are no larger than the size of a regular M&M candy.< /span>

I took a list of mine with me, and checked with my Dr - he allowed everything except anti inflammatories and aspirin.

I'm on an anti histamine, asthma inhaler, and nasalex.

But do check with your Dr, as things like the contraceptive pill are usually not allowed either, but better safe than sorry!

Kathy

Hmmmmm... that could make for an interesting week prior to surgery. I am on an anti-inflammatory for my arthritis, will make it difficult to work if I can't take it. :)

Kathy - I was allowed to take Paracetamol..... I get cramps with my monthly cycle, often leading to intense nausea... but Ibuprofen sorts this for me. But I figured for the result it was worth a day of pain to me.

Hope you sort your meds - maybe there is something else which would be safe that you can take?

Kathy

Sparkle

I don't think there would be anything I could take that would be the same as an anti-inflammatory, but I am definately not going to do anything to mess up my chances of success with the surgery so I will stop taking it when it's time and suck it up with Tylenol. It would be easier if I wasn't working during that time, but I will make do. During my consult, a nurse practitioner told me that for every 1 pound of wt you take off, it takes 4lbs of pressure off of your joints and body. I don't know if that is true or not, but I would like to think it is. My regular doctor thinks I will be able to get off of all of my medicines after I lose the weight, so it will be worth a week of my knees complaining.

I see that your surgery date is so close! I am so excited for you! Mine is scheduled for July 15th and it seems as if time has started to stand still!

Kathy

From one Kathy to another.....lol

Do you know about your pre op diet yet and how long it is? In 3 days I've lost 4.5lbs on mine which runs for a week... so hopefully maybe the fact you can't take your anti inflammatories will be helped by a quick weightloss during your pre op stage and aiding your joints.

The time will pass quick - i remember when i got my date and it seemed ages away due to travel plans, but now its so close!!

Good luck

Kathy

Tiffy, I've been on liquid Prozac since my VS surgery 12-9-10 and want to go back to Pristique but it is time released. Should I ask the doc for a less mg or what would you suggest?

My surgeons instructions allow meds immediately post op as long as they are not controlled release or extended release, and the pills are no larger than the size of a regular M&M candy.< /span>

Tiffy, I've been on liquid Prozac since my VS surgery 12-9-10 and want to go back to Pristique but it is time released. Should I ask the doc for a less mg or what would you suggest?

6-8 weeks out I was released for all meds even the time-released meds. . . In addition to talking with your surgeon, I always suggest talking to your pharmacist.

and one for blood pressure

Stay VERY INVOLVED with your primary physician about your BP meds!

I kept taking mine, and suddenly found myself with a 95/50 blood pressure which panicked my dentist. My PCP immediately told me to STOP taking them, since I was only getting 200 calories a day, otherwise I'd end up in the ER.