Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi,

I just had my surgery 4 days ago in Dallas, Tx. The first couple of days were a little rough but bearable. I am starting to feel a little more normal. I'm not hungry AT ALL and sometimes the smell of food makes me a little sick. Is that normal? Does anyone know how long until you can kind of drink normally and not all of the "sips".

The hardest part of this I think is not being able to pick up my 20 month old daughter. But I showed her the 'boo boo's" and now she likes to look at them and count them! haha it's kind of cute I guess.

I do not know how to update my ticker. Anyone know? I went to the ticker website but didn't see where to login at. Feeling kinda dingy! Please help : )

Hi everyone I am crystal, my surgery date is 7/12 which is tommarow. I am really excited, so far i have lost 20 pounds before surgery I feel great. Today I am on a liquid only diet which i thought would be harder than it is I havent drank much at all, I made a Protein Shake and had half of it. Wish me luck!

Hi everyone! I'm getting sleeved Thursday and I am so excited! The preop diet has about made me crazy, I have Clear Liquids only for the next 3 days so that should be awesome lol. I'm going to Tijuana and the weather in Kansas has been almost 100 - wonder how hot it will be there??

I'm enjoying all the posts as I'm recovering. Wish all the recents and soon to be's the very best! For those of you having your first WLS it's even more exciting. Well at least it was that way for me. I was absolutely tingling with excitement when I was being banded and even soon after. This time, while I'm delighted that I don't have the fear of regaining all my lost weight and will likely lose a bit more, it's not the same level of excitement. Just musing here, but it's kind of like when you have your first child or grandchild. Then next one is every bit as precious and loved but the fact is the transformation to "mother" or "grandmother" happens only with the FIRST. So too for me with this second surgery. I'm happy it's going to be great, it's just that while the RESULT is just as valuable, the transformation to myself has already been experienced. Okay, I'm rambling... blame it on the pain meds.

Keep up the posting. With all this time on my hands I'd love to reply to just EVERYONE! Know they are being read and appreciated by many!

Edited by Ellisa

Hi everyone...I'm totally new at all this. Only been on here for a few days.

My surgery is in 1 week (July 19). I am very excited.

I am 43, 246 pounds, 5'5"

My Pre-op instructions were simple:

- Day before surgery be on a liquid diet and drink 1 bottle of Magnesium Citrate. That's it.

My list:

- go to another store besides Walmart, Lane Bryant and Cato to buy clothes

- not handing off 'playtime' with my 9 year old active son to my husband who is fit

- a general 'feeling better'

- not being the fattest one in the room

- not dreading meeting my skinny friends

- not having a backache anymore

- having my joints feel better

- not being so tired

- KNOWING I'm healthier

- sleeping better

- being able to bend over to paint my toes

- putting on my shoes in a non weird way

- CROSSING MY LEGS

- not tugging at my shirt all the time

These are just a FEW things I could think of.

My surgery is July 19th too. I am going on my preop diet tomorrow. It's making me very nervous. I have never been successful on one before. You are so lucky to only have to do it for the day before.

Don't forget squatting!!! I'll never forget the day I discovered I could squat down to get in the bottow drawer. I LOVE squatting now. LOL

My surgery date is 7/26. I am becoming more and more excited as I read posts on this website I just found!

I keep reading of varying pre-op diets. On my handouts it only mentions 1 day before. But I keep hearing of other ppl doing 1-2 week pre-op diets. Hmm, well, that's all I know. Oh, and as of tomorrow, I am going cold turkey on the sodas. Wish me luck!

Kee posting and lifting us up! it's encouraging to read about all the successes and truths about the surgery:)

My surgery date is 7/26. I am becoming more and more excited as I read posts on this website I just found!

I keep reading of varying pre-op diets. On my handouts it only mentions 1 day before. But I keep hearing of other ppl doing 1-2 week pre-op diets. Hmm, well, that's all I know. Oh, and as of tomorrow, I am going cold turkey on the sodas. Wish me luck!

Kee posting and lifting us up! it's encouraging to read about all the successes and truths about the surgery:)

Sanct,

Yes there are a variety of pre op and post op diets. I was banded 2 1/2 years ago and have several family members banded and GBSed. So I felt pretty confident answering questions about those surgeries...the answers usually started with "everybody is different but..."

I'm the only person I know personally who's been sleeved. The same surgeon did my band and sleeve. In my case, my pre op diet was just NPO after midnight the night prior. It wasn't a given that I'd come out "sleeved;" saving my band was the goal, but my hiatal hernia was too big for the doc to trust the repair would hold with the band in place. But it was a possibility. The determining factor for my pre op diet was that my BMI is way better than when I was banded and even pre band, the bulk of my fat is not in the belly area. Others with my surgeon could have a complete two week liquid regime.

My post op diet is a stricter variety than many of his band patients. Why? If the sleeve were my initial surgery or the band had been removed and the stomach a chance to heal first then the VGS procedure done the risk of leakage would have been lower. Ah but the risk of anesthesia doubled (two surgeries).

So while some going to my doc are able to have pureed the day after being sleeved didn't apply to me. I have to be on clear liquid an entire week. Then I begin pureed, but it must be very thin at first (more of a full liquid) and gradually thicker as tolerated. I really don't mind it except when I smell food. LOL But if I drink something I'm okay. And I'm drinking tea and eating popsicles all the time. So it's really not so bad. It's really not... have I convinced myself yet???

Your big day is coming up soon! Wishing you the best!

Hi Ellisa, I'm going for the band removal, hernia repair, and sleeve in one shot, mostly because I don't have insurance coverage and really can't afford to break it out into 2 surgeries, which would of course be the safer option. Like you, at least I'm starting with a lower BMI this time (about 30), and I have some concerns about the leakage risks. When you say you're on clear liquids for a week, can you list exactly what you're allowed to have? Especially in terms of protein... Thanks!

Thanks Elllisa! I'm sure the layover won't be too bad, but I still hate sitting in airports with nothing to do.

At least it will take a while to pass through passport control and customs, and then I can probably sit down and eat at a restaurant to take up some more time. I'll have my books with me, too, so I'll be fine. I guess I'm just impatient to get my surgery!

Euphoric it sounds like you're doing well. Sorry that you can't do more with your daughter - I'm worried about the same thing when I get home to my almost three year old twins! I just click on my ticker in my signature for updates, by the way.

Crystal, I hope everything is going well for you today! Be sure to post your experience when you're up to it.

Welcome to tlkeuler, sunshine, sanct and chica! Time will fly by and you'll be getting ready for your surgeries before you know it.

chica, you might try Isopure (I warn you that some people hate it) or unjury. Unjury has unflavored Protein that mixes well into Crystal Light and they also have a chicken broth flavored Protein that I'll use post op. I can find Isopure at my local commissary and I know GNC sells it, but I had to buy Unjury from their website. Shipping was very fast, though. I had my order in four days and I'm at an APO adddress in Germany.

KathyM, I'm sorry to hear you're on clears now, but it's only three days and you'll be sleeved before you know it!

I hope everyone continues to do well. My flight leaves tomorrow morning and by tomorrow late evening I'll be in San Diego. I cannot believe how quickly time flew by for me!

Take care everyone, my thoughts and prayers for everyone healing and for those about to have surgery this week.

~Cheri

Hi Ellisa, I'm going for the band removal, hernia repair, and sleeve in one shot, mostly because I don't have insurance coverage and really can't afford to break it out into 2 surgeries, which would of course be the safer option. Like you, at least I'm starting with a lower BMI this time (about 30), and I have some concerns about the leakage risks. When you say you're on clear liquids for a week, can you list exactly what you're allowed to have? Especially in terms of Protein... Thanks!

Chica,

I wasn't given a list. He simply said clear liquid for one week. My understanding is that clear liquid means you can see though it. I?ll tell you what was served to me in the hospital, though each tray would have been two days worth for me. LOL In the hospital, I consumed mostly ice chips and an occasional bite of popsicle. The ice just was more appealing to me then.

Coffee/tea

Jello (sugarfree)

Apple juice

broth (low fat low sodium)

Kool Aid type popsicles (sugarfree)

I haven?t tried juice I was afraid the acid might be too much. I do eat a lot of broth. I?ve been eating regular pop sickles because my hubby accidently got the ones with sugar. The calories and sugar are minimal since I don?t eat that many of them.

I?ve emailed the dietician regarding Protein because I think it helps with hunger issues. She agreed and said that GNC sells some clear liquid Proteins. (I?ve used them in the past.) I wasn?t really told that protein is a huge issue at this point and so far haven?t made the 30 mi. trip to get clear protein. And I really haven?t been hungry. I?ve emailed the dietician yesterday with a whole list of questions since this is all so new to me. I expect to hear from her today.

BTW, I have a drain. One of the purposes of it that is leakage, it will come through the drain and we will know quickly. How I asked? Eat a purple pop sickle and if the drainage changes color, I?ll know. LOL

I went into my lapband with so much more understanding because my DH was banded 2 ? years before me. I?m paving my own way this time. I don?t know anyone personally who has had it done. But this forum has been very helpful. Of course I check things with my doc or his staff. They are only an email or phone call away and very prompt.

Hi everyone I am crystal, my surgery date is 7/12 which is tommarow. I am really excited, so far i have lost 20 pounds before surgery I feel great. Today I am on a liquid only diet which i thought would be harder than it is I havent drank much at all, I made a Protein shake and had half of it. Wish me luck!

My surgery is today also! Good luck on yours! I can't wait to hear from you.

---------------

Thank you everyone for your kind words. In 5 hours give or take I will be on the losers bench!! Yah!!