Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My pre-op diet is driving me insane! I'm HUNGRY and I've got 9 days to go before my 7/14/10 surgery. Arrgghh! Is anyone else having this issue?

My pre-op diet is driving me insane! I'm HUNGRY and I've got 9 days to go before my 7/14/10 surgery. Arrgghh! Is anyone else having this issue?

I know what you mean.. I started last Wednesday so I'm now starting my 6th day. I hate the 3 different Protein Shakes EAS Advant Edge French vanilla chocolate and Atkins Advantage Dark Royale shake. I switched to GNC's AMP wheyblocic extrem 60 - I put 1 scoop in a cup of cold Water 3 times a day - each time is 20 gr. My died also consist of Greek Yogurt with honey, Emerial beef and chicken broth, some sugar free popsicles. I'm averaging ~ 500 calories and 60 grams of Protein. I know that is low but seems to be working for me. I refuse to get on the scale until my last doctor's visit before surgery on 7/8.

It's been tough since I'm at the end of a 2 day weekend, but I keep thinking it is worth it.

I'm also thinking what I can eat when I'm back to real food....

We can do it.... We have all come too far to "cheat"

Lou

Hi all,

I am scheduled to be at the hosptial at 5:30 tomorrow morning to and I am really excited. I have lost about 12 lbs in 2 weeks of pre-sugery dieting. A little of my history: I was scheduled for the bypass, because that is all my insurance would pay for, but when I went for my last pre-op appointment on 6/30 my surgeon informed me that my insurance had stated paying for the sleeve about 2 weeks before I came in. Can you believe it? I immediately changed to the sleeve and the surgeon's office had the approval from insurance the next day. I am so relieved as this is the surgery I really wanted. I am 5'3", 342 with a BMI of about 62. I am hoping to get into the 150 range when all is said and done. I am hoping to get off of coumadin in the next few months as I have been on it since September due to a pulomary embolism. I had been waffling on the surgery for a year, when my doctor told me I had gained 30 lbs in 6 months and that he would not take me off of the coumadin until I lost a significant amount of weight. So here I go on my Quest to feel better about myself, look great, and take control of my life. I wish all of you the best and hope you will do the same for me. Well, time for my lovenox. yay!

Best,

E

Edited by magicluvstess

RE: Pre-op diet (shakes + Atkins dinner)

OK, now that I've whined and moaned, I pulled out the info from the bariatric program and found the following: I can have a 1 cup salad in addition, and I can make my own dressing for it--woo! So I got up and went to the store, and got a brainstorm while I was there--I can season my meat any way I want--so why not with pico de gallo (chopped raw garlic, onion, Tomato, cilantro)? I'm getting excited about dinner. I picked up some asparagus that I'm going to dress with a ginger vinagrette. I just need to get over myself lol, and get creative with it!

E,

How exciting your day has finally come! You are definitely in my thoughts and prayers! I love hearing everyone's stories as they are all so different and yet all the same! I will be thinking of you and sending you warm wished tomorrow morning!

Sending positive thoughts your way,

Dawn

Lou and Donna, You're hungry because you're not getting enough Protein in! You can and should be having protein every 3-4 hours, and up to 5 shakes in pre-/post-op liquid diets is fairly normal unless you're allowed that one "real" meal a day. (Yup, I'm jealous! :redface1:) If you get enough protein, this period won't be nearly as miserable as it may currently seem... :)

Hello CKnorte! I'll be there for surgery on the 15th, so I'm sure i'll see you around the recovery! I too am super excited, and so ready for this! I'll pop by to say hello!

Hello everyone! I too am having my surgery in July in fact July 26. I just started my pre-op diet today.

I am a head start teacher and we go to school all year round. I am 24, live with my boyfriend and our 2 dogs.

I have always been fluffy all threw high school but my senior year I was down to 145 in size 12. Well life events and food have had a toll on my weight. I now weigh 261 and in size 24 jeans.

I have been researching bariatric surgery for over a year now. I am able to have the sleeve surgery because my grandmother is going to pay for it. She said she is tired of hearing me huffing and puffing when I answer the phone. I also have Polycystic Ovaries and the Dr said I could increase my fertility if I lost the weight. If you guys have any tips or recipes for pre-op or post-op I am all ears.

I'm not an expert, but from all the guides I've read (both on this site and from my doc), the bare minimum we should be consuming post-op is about 70 grams of Protein. That's the minimum. However, if you have to do a pre-op low-carb, high-protein diet (and most of us do) to shrink the liver and make surgery easier, then the easiest way to avoid hunger is to up the ante on the Protein. You can have upwards of 100g, believe it or not! The important thing is to not cheat because you're ravenous, just have another shake if you need to.

In your case, Donna, since you're lucky enough to get to chew some of your protein, a 3oz portion of something like beef, chicken or fish might be about 21 grams, so if you have 4-6 ounces, it's more like 28-42 grams in addition to the 40 grams from shakes. That's a good amount. Just keep in mind, you can always add another shake if you need to. :confused:

Hi Everyone! Just finished day one of my preop diet - 10 days of liquids, the last 3 days are Clear Liquids. I felt pretty decent all day, then this evening I started getting that restless "I want something to snack on" feeling. I did manage to make it past that, but it wasn't easy! Day 1 down, bring on Day 2!!! lol. I might be eating the paint off the walls before July 15th gets here!!

Chica-how much Protein are we supposed to have? My doc says 40 grams in shakes and the rest in a 4-6 oz portion of lean meat.

My surgeon ordered 90+ grams of Protein a day for me, which I'm getting exclusively through Protein Shakes, since I'm on a clear-liquid diet (with the exception of the shakes). Good thing I found a Protein shake I really like!

My surgery is scheduled for July 14. I lost 3.4 pounds just since yesterday, on the diet. I'm pretty sure it's Water weight, but I'm still in awe (at the risk of sounding insufferable).

I'm not sure what the average per-day protein intake is supposed to be, though, sorry.

RE: Pre-op diet (shakes + Atkins dinner)

OK, now that I've whined and moaned, I pulled out the info from the bariatric program and found the following: I can have a 1 cup salad in addition, and I can make my own dressing for it--woo! So I got up and went to the store, and got a brainstorm while I was there--I can season my meat any way I want--so why not with pico de gallo (chopped raw garlic, onion, Tomato, cilantro)? I'm getting excited about dinner. I picked up some asparagus that I'm going to dress with a ginger vinagrette. I just need to get over myself lol, and get creative with it!

Whine and complain all you want. That's what we're here for! Hey, I know it's mid-summer and all, but I found out that drinking hot broth goes a long way to making you feel full. I got 99% fat-free chicken broth (doesn't matter what brand, as long as it's not in a can!) and cooked it with fresh carrots, onions, mushrooms, garlic, black pepper, and wasabi (gotta be careful on quantity with that, or you'll need a fire extinguisher for your mouth and sinuses). Then I strained out all the chunks, and voila! I have a delicious broth that I can reheat and drink any time I want.

Another thing I discovered is that Celestial Seasonings herbal teas has this tea called Bengal Spice, and if I brew it up and put it in the fridge until it's cold, then mix it with either vanilla flavored Protein mix, or unflavored, it's REALLY GOOD. Very spicy and cinnamon-ey and flavorful.

I am scheduled for surgery tomorrow and totally cant wait for it!!!!

What I cant wait for afterwards:

better health

cute clothes

able to exercise without having problems

I am so excited and havent gotten nervous about it yet. I am sure that will change come tomorrow when it is time to go in. Right now I just cant wait for it to be here finally!

HELLOOO Kim! I am also in Des Moines and gettin sleeved July 13th @ Mercy with Dr. Cahalan.

Well just wanted to say "Hi" we Iowans are few and far between...

Hope you are staying dry and cool! :)

Hi LIbby!!! I am with Dr LeMasters and it will be tomorrow. I will keep you posted on how it goes. Right now I am just waiting to hear from the hospital to find out what time I go in tomorrow morning! Good to hear from another person in DesMoines.

We should meet sometime.