Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You are all in my prayers every time I go on and read a new post! I have crazy thoughts also like I hope my Doctor isn't hungover, etc. How can we not. We have not actually met these Doctors ourselves and we are putting our lives in their hands. I am going to Cancun with dr. verboonen on the 16th and though I am so excited to start my new life, I am also just a tad nervous as I am sure everyone is.

I am just putting it all in God's hands and what will be will be. That and some positive thinking will see us all through!!!!!

Dawn

I just found this thread. I'm going in for surgery on July 23rd and am thrilled to say that I'm having my band removed at the same time! :blushing: I've had it since March '08, did well for the first 6 months, but once I started having problems with it, there was never any further progress because I couldn't tolerate much Fluid in my band. I did lose 50% of my excess weight with the band, but it's been a long and bumpy ride that I just want to have come to an end. I'm looking so forward to losing the rest with the sleeve plus good eating habits and whatever exercise I can squeeze into my schedule.

I start my 2-week liquid diet in a week and have lots of Protein Drinks on hand. I'm a big fan of chocolate Muscle Milk Light (I use the powder mixed in water), but it's a little higher in carbs (I'm limited to 50g carbs daily), so that will be a once a day drink. Chocolate Unjury mixed with Hood Calorie Countdown (low-carb) Chocolate milk is good, and in the morning I like Syntrax Nectar Cappuccino mixed with milk (cold). I love vanilla Unjury mixed with OJ, a couple of frozen strawberries and a handful of frozen blueberries, but obviously that's off limits during this super-low carb period and for the first months of the sleeve. I also recently tried this great low-carb high-protein drink call Oh Yeah! (RTD), and I've now ordered some of their powdered mix online.

I'm excited for those of you already moving forward, and can't wait to join you in a couple of weeks!! :thumbup:

I'm scheduled with Dr. Aceves on the 14th! See you there!....

I am flying down by myself, and then my husband will pick me up in San Diego and we can drive home.

I was told to pack lightly. I don't think I'll bring PJ's most people said they did their walking inside the hospital in the gowns they provide. Someone said that we could ask for an extra one to use as a robe.

I plan on bringing a pair of flip flops, and my slippers. My heating pad, a good book or two, my computer, ipod and headphones. I think that's about it. Oh and a few packages of Gas-X the ones that melt in your mouth and chapstick.

See you guys there. I am excited....and have already started stocking up my pantry. Isopure, Gatorade Recovery 03, chicken broth.

I am so excited I am giddy, and nervous and scared and just ready to get on with the rest of my life!

Hello everyone! I am sleeved! Surgery yesterday went fine. I really am amazed at the organization and efficiency of this hospital. My only main complaint so far is that most of the nurses do not speak english. Big deal really, they are all so sweet and nice that we have worked out every issue! By the way, the people of Mexicali are gorgeous. I don't know what is in the Water here, but wow!

Today I didn't feel as well as I did yesterday post-op. Everyone said that was to be expected. The gas settled in my neck and shoulders and that has been pretty painful. I am taking my Gas X and it is getting better.

The biggest highlight of the day was when they brought me a cup of water! Then a bottle of water, then chamomile tea, and apple juice. Wow, how good that all was.

CKNorte: I think your packing list looks great. I brought a pair of pjs/yoga pants for each day and I am glad I did. The hospital gowns are short and everyone feels comfortable with pants under them. I am glad I have more then one pair b/c my first pair got wet after my shower. I also brought a sweatshirt b/c my room got a little chilly. Gas x is a must!!

Good luck to all the up and coming surgeries.

You are all in my prayers every time I go on and read a new post! I have crazy thoughts also like I hope my Doctor isn't hungover, etc. How can we not. We have not actually met these Doctors ourselves and we are putting our lives in their hands. I am going to Cancun with Dr. verboonen on the 16th and though I am so excited to start my new life, I am also just a tad nervous as I am sure everyone is.

I am just putting it all in God's hands and what will be will be. That and some positive thinking will see us all through!!!!!

Dawn

You are so sweet Dawn, thank you. I have a friend in oh that went to Dr. Verboonen and had a great experience. She has been out for a year and lost all the weight. One of the happiest sleevers out there. She is also very sweet and answers all your questions. It is because of her that I'm moving forward through this irreversible procedure. Let me know if you would like to talk to her and I'll tell you how. Sincerely, Gloria

Hello everyone! I am sleeved! Surgery yesterday went fine. I really am amazed at the organization and efficiency of this hospital. My only main complaint so far is that most of the nurses do not speak english. Big deal really, they are all so sweet and nice that we have worked out every issue! By the way, the people of Mexicali are gorgeous. I don't know what is in the Water here, but wow!

Today I didn't feel as well as I did yesterday post-op. Everyone said that was to be expected. The gas settled in my neck and shoulders and that has been pretty painful. I am taking my Gas X and it is getting better.

The biggest highlight of the day was when they brought me a cup of water! Then a bottle of water, then chamomile tea, and apple juice. Wow, how good that all was.

CKNorte: I think your packing list looks great. I brought a pair of pjs/yoga pants for each day and I am glad I did. The hospital gowns are short and everyone feels comfortable with pants under them. I am glad I have more then one pair b/c my first pair got wet after my shower. I also brought a sweatshirt b/c my room got a little chilly. Gas x is a must!!

Congratulations! Thank you for letting us know you're doing well and keep posting please!

As July 12th gets closer and closer I seem to have a few fears come up. I know I cant be the only one. Is this normal to be a little scared a week before getting my super sleeve?

As July 12th gets closer and closer I seem to have a few fears come up. I know I cant be the only one. Is this normal to be a little scared a week before getting my super sleeve?

I'd say it is more than normal and if you didn't have any fears at all over having surgery you probably hadn't thought it all out. You'll do great. I can't wait to hear how well you are progressing!

There is no doubt in my mind that you will ROCK your super sleeve. You and all the other posters having surgery is in my prayers. This is something no one should take lightly. Heck, I just updated my will. Not a pleasant thing to do but we do need to be realistic and be prepared. I'm ten days out now...and the time is flying past...I can only imagine how much quicker the time is going to go the closer to the big day I get. ((hugs))

Also, I don't think it is crazy to have thoughts of "What If" about our doctors since many of us are using doctors we will not meet until right before surgery.

At the very first part of the journey I had wondered if maybe mine or other choices available was a drug addict or something... not very nice I know, and maybe I've watched too many Dateline NBCs but the thought does occur! I could just see myself going in and having other major organs ruined because my dr. was doped up during surgery.

I feel differently about things now though. Thank Goodness!

You are so sweet Dawn, thank you. I have a friend in oh that went to Dr. verboonen and had a great experience. She has been out for a year and lost all the weight. One of the happiest sleevers out there. She is also very sweet and answers all your questions. It is because of her that I'm moving forward through this irreversible procedure. Let me know if you would like to talk to her and I'll tell you how. Sincerely, Gloria

Gloria,

It would be awesome if you could put me in touch with your friend, especially since she is from Ohio, a mid-westerner like me! There are not very many Dr. Verbooners on here but the ones that are have been wonderful. I can't wait until I can be one of the people who can answer questions from people like us who have no idea what to expect. Isn't this site just awesome? I hope that you are enjoying your holiday weekend and thanks again for thinking of me!

Dawn

Hello everyone, my name is Tracy and I have been plus sized since I was a little girl. My surgery is on July 19th and the closer it gets the more I am either totally excited or just plain scared. I only have to do a week long liquid diet so I think I lucked out with that but am afraid I will not be able to do it......I can't think that way.......I will do it. I would love to keep in contact with all of you July sleevers. I am going to Dr. Tersigni in Coos Bay Oregon. He charges 11,000....for self pay, just in case anyone wants to know. Thank you for all of your stories, it has helped me so much get to this point.

Tracy

Mom, I sent you a personal message on how to reach my friend, the one that went to the same surgeon as you. Check your messages and let me know if you got if okay? Happy 4th!

You are going to be just fine, Theresa.

I just had mine on Thursday 1st of July and right now am at the airport on my way back home, sipping a Minute Maid Apple juice and relaxed like I didn't just had a major surgery 3days ago. Its that tolerable! I was out on the hospital room patio listening to music from my laptop and dancing the very next day!

I must admit I was scared at first, mainly because of the state of things in Mexico, but once the driver picked me up from the airport and he answered all my questions, I felt right at home.

You can go ahead andf ask me any questions you may have, but I can assure you, it will be over before you know it.

I think it's normal for us to be a little bit nervous before surgery. I made the decision to do this with Dr. Aceves almost a year ago, and I think I worked a lot of my nervousness out in that time but I still have moments where I worry about something happening to me. I'm still not happy to be leaving my toddlers behind, but it can't be helped.

I've been doing well on my preop with the exception of one day, which wasn't so great but hasn't negatively affected me. I wasn't supposed to start preop until tomorrow anyway, so I feel good with my progress so far. I've lost four pounds, and for the most part it's been easy to stick to low carb, high Protein choices. I think a lot of the ease stems from the fact that I knew going in I only had to do it for a short period of time. If I were viewing this as a long term diet, I'd be losing my mind.

Momof3girls: I am so happy to hear all went well for you. I hope the discomfort passes quickly. Thanks for posting your experience for us. I was actually worried about the heat, so thanks for saying it's sometimes chilly to you. I'm in Germany with no air conditioning and was expecting something similar in Mexicali - hot, uncomfortable days and sticky nights.

Slimmissy: It sounds like you're doing exceptionally well. Congrats on the speedy recovery thus far; I hope you made it home safely.

Cknorte: See you there! It sounds like you're well prepared. I bought a bunch of the same things but keep wondering if I should run out for more things. Thanks for posting the packing list, since I wasn't really sure how much to bring. I still think I'm going to bring along one "granny" nightgown that covers me from neck to ankles, but I'm going to pare the rest of the clothes down to a pair of yoga pants and an outfit for the flight home.

Take care everyone. I can't believe how quickly time passes!

~Cheri