Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The stomach of a squirrel... or maybe a groundhog

I get sleeved tomorrow, June 3.

It's just so weird, trying to comprehend what's about to happen. In a flash, I'll think I'm nuts, but a moment later I'll remind myself about why I'm doing this.

I'm not having second thoughts. It's just oddly emotional having reality catch up with what has been on my mind for so many weeks. Or maybe it's just the lack of food (Clear liquids today). :wink0:

By the way, I told a friend the other day that I would have the stomach of a squirrel... or maybe a groundhog. She said "REALLY???" She thought there was going to be a transplant. ;)

Anyway, short-term pain for long-term gain. Here goes.

LOL that's funny! I'm two weeks out tomorrow and no regrets even though I can't eat much at all. It's all worth it!

Wishing you all the best tomorrow. My husband is having the surgery tomorrow too!

I agree with CraftyChristie. Good luck and relax.

Steve, having been sleeved just 13 days ago, I can relate to what you are thinking. All these years our success and failure have been our own fault. Now, after all these years you can blame someone else (the surgeon). Ha Ha Just Kidding. Listen, take it from me, I don't like pain anymore than you do, but the surgery was soooo easy, that I never, repeat never took any pain meds. Was I sore, yes, but not in pain. When they say "get up and walk, get up and walk more than you expected. When they say use the spirometer for your lungs, do it more than expected. Wear the compression leggings. Hydrate before the surgery. Pee just before surgery. These are some of the things I attributed to my rapid recovery. Now if I can just slow down, and chew slowly I will get even better each day and the weight will continue to drop off. I am down 22 lbs since surgery. I can even see some ribs.

You will be amazed how much of a non-event this thing in the hospital will be. Enjoy the rest and heal fast. Keep us posted.

You mean it's not a transplant? LOL I know how you feel I have 2 days to go. Best of luck.

well steve you should be sleeved by now...I hope everything went well....

Best of luck to you for a smooth and speedy recovery!

I like to think of it as an infant stomach.

You eat almost the same amount, and you go through the same stages. liquid, Soft....and so on.

Hey Steve O --- I was looking for you in members than saw your post. Hope you are feeling a little bit better everyday. Just think of all the people who say they are practically back to normal in a week. You'll be one of them. Feel better little squirrel guts. (really, post when you can, good luck.)

Bklyn

Thinking of you and hoping you are doing well with your recovery. This is a huge step in your life and I admire your courage for doing it. : )

Thanks everyone, for your great support!

I'm happy to report that I am one of the lucky ones so far. The only thing close to bad was the shoulder pain. I really can't say that the misery meter was ever worse than a 2 otherwise.

I do believe that it helped that I listened to advice here. Walk, walk, walk; sip, sip, sip, from the beginning. (My mouth was bone dry after surgery, and I can't tell you how good those first sips of something cold and wet were.)

I had to stay 2 nights in the hospital (nobody's perfect), but continued walking at home right away. Within a couple of days at home, I was up to about a mile. Went to work for a couple of hours a week after surgery. Full time today (11 days after surgery), with no problems.

Another thing I really appreciated was sleeping in my own bed. What a pleasure it was to get out of that hospital bed and not have two things hanging out of me and 2 other things hanging on me!

Anyway, I know I'm one of the lucky ones, but the more I read, the more I know that the odds are with you with the sleeve (as compared to the other choices) when it comes to avoiding misery. Not 100% of course, but good odds.

I've lost about 11 pounds in 11 days. I know it won't keep up, but if I can lose 3 pounds a week on average for several months, I will be mighty pleased. "Curing" my diabetes was my #1 motivator; I've already stopped taking insulin, and reduced by Metformin by half.