Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Acid rebound and kicking ppi's

Just to be pedantic, if you don't have osteoporosis or osteopenia, don't worry about the PPI's. They are not generically dangerous, and many people take them for life without any problems.

If you don't know if you have osteoporosis/osteopenia, especially if you're in one of the at-risk groups (particularly low-testosterone men and post-menopausal women), ask your doc for a bone density scan. It's pretty simple and painless and will put your mind at rest.

Just to be pedantic, if you don't have osteoporosis or osteopenia, don't worry about the PPI's. They are not generically dangerous, and many people take them for life without any problems.

If you don't know if you have osteoporosis/osteopenia, especially if you're in one of the at-risk groups (particularly low-testosterone men and post-menopausal women), ask your doc for a bone density scan. It's pretty simple and painless and will put your mind at rest.

I had a follow-up with my PCP for a couple of different issues. Low blood pressure, had my little "skin irritation" documented , and had an in-depth discussion about my PPI (Prilosec 20mg) for the last 11 months.

He confirmed everything that ouroborous stated. I am not post-menopausal, I'm taking 800-1200mg Calcium Citrate with Vit D which does NOT need an acidic environment to be absorbed properly, therefore he is not overly concerned with my continued usage at this point. I have a follow up with my surgeon next week for labs, and an in-depth discussion will be had with him as well.

Honestly, this having to take Gaviscon, and having the reflux, in my opinion, just isn't worth it. I know that makes me sound like a wuss, but why fix something that isn't broken? For me, nothing is broken for the time being, and unless my surgeon has any major concerns with my continued usage, I plan on staying on it.

If I were 20 years older, heading into menopause, I would have more concerns, but seriously, I know women that have been on some sort of PPI for years and have zero issue with bone density.

I wish that was the case with me. I was really surprised at the results of my bone density test

:(

Oregon,

I am so glad to see you on here!! I thought you were banned!! Did I miss something?

I wish that was the case with me. I was really surprised at the results of my bone density test

:(

Ditto here Daisy and my last bone density test was at age 39 or maybe 40, soooooooo, like it or not. I'm going to be sure to take the calcium citrate.

Hi, I haven't had a bone density scan because I can't be bothered with the palaver of trying to arrange it via our NHS system (maybe I should), but I have lost an inch in height in my last 30 years and I am post menopausal, so to play safe I want to get to a minimum drug regime. currently I just have one to take for my asthma which I will continue as infinitum as I really need it. I will be continuing with the calcium citrate and vit D to be belt and braces. Plus exercise of course.

I'm with you Jane. I did have a bone density test and was osteopenia and I am now off my PPI with no problems. If I have the odd twinge in the evening after an acidic meal I swallow Maalox and its gone. I am trying to get off any unnecessary pills also, (never a pill taker). It might be a good thing to check on your bone density, it will sneak up on you and you can prevent any additional loss with....another med. A fracture is not a good thing as we get older.

Hi, I haven't had a bone density scan because I can't be bothered with the palaver of trying to arrange it via our NHS system (maybe I should), but I have lost an inch in height in my last 30 years and I am post menopausal, so to play safe I want to get to a minimum drug regime. currently I just have one to take for my asthma which I will continue as infinitum as I really need it. I will be continuing with the calcium citrate and vit D to be belt and braces. Plus exercise of course.

Yes, definitely. The height loss is an important clue, and it's good that you picked up on that.

I think ALL sleevers should take a calcium citrate supplement (osteoporosis or not), but I would definitely get the bone density scan as soon as you can. Only two things can happen -- either you'll find out you're not at risk (hooray!) or you'll find out you are, in which case you can work to correct it. Both are positive outcomes compared to not knowing and getting a fracture, or with going off the PPI's "just because" and developing Barrett's esophagus/esophageal cancer.

(Note to the medical geeks out there: how prevalent are Barrett's and e. cancer in WLS patients? Anyone know the numbers? I'd like to know if this is a real risk or a "hit by a meteorite" risk.)

I'd like to know too. I had assumed that my stomach would settle down to normal as I did not have refluxy type problems before I got really overweight. I will arrange bone density scan, should get it done in 2012 way things are in the UK at the mo :crying:

Oregon,

I am so glad to see you on here!! I thought you were banned!! Did I miss something?

I was, for a few days. (Alex board owner)and I worked things out through email.

I am still having some acid. It comes and goes. I read about some stuff to take from

thehealthyskeptic.com that I am going to get from the health food store. It's supposed to restore your stomach while trying to get off the PPIS. It's not an antacid. One is a probiotic and the other is some other thing but the name escapes me at the moment.

Update on my stopping PPIs. After nearly 2 weeks off I am now experiencing greater restriction now my acid levels are not supressed. how weird is that??! I was actually sick yesterday after eating a rather greasy portion of slow cooked rib of beef. I am very rarely sick. And it was more of a regurgitation of the excess but I did feel pretty rough.

I was, for a few days. (Alex board owner)and I worked things out through email.

I am still having some acid. It comes and goes. I read about some stuff to take from

thehealthyskeptic.com that I am going to get from the health food store. It's supposed to restore your stomach while trying to get off the PPIS. It's not an antacid. One is a probiotic and the other is some other thing but the name escapes me at the moment.

Daisy please let me know how the stuff works for you and the exact names of the products. I am very concerned about both issues, bone deterioration and esophageal issues. Thanks.

Update on my stopping PPIs. After nearly 2 weeks off I am now experiencing greater restriction now my acid levels are not supressed. how weird is that??! I was actually sick yesterday after eating a rather greasy portion of slow cooked rib of beef. I am very rarely sick. And it was more of a regurgitation of the excess but I did feel pretty rough.

I had the same thing. I didn't eat much at all while I was off of PPI's, it just kind of hurt to do so. Unfortunately it got worse, not better and I had to go back on. My doc gave me pretty specific guidelines for doing the cold trukey thing. She said as soon as I got a sore throat I had to go back on. Hopefully you will get better soon... your body will figure out that it doesnt need all that acid.

good luck

I had the same thing. I didn't eat much at all while I was off of PPI's, it just kind of hurt to do so. Unfortunately it got worse, not better and I had to go back on. My doc gave me pretty specific guidelines for doing the cold trukey thing. She said as soon as I got a sore throat I had to go back on. Hopefully you will get better soon... your body will figure out that it doesnt need all that acid.

good luck

Thanks, Will give it a few more weeks and review. I don't get a sore throat from it so that's a plus.

the whole process on how to get off the ppis is on a website c

http://thehealthyskeptic.org/get-rid-of-heartburn-and-gerd-forever-in-three-simple-steps

The stuff he says to get from the health food store is called

HCL with pepsin

Read all his articles.

Edited by Oregondaisy