Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser N. Cal anyone in the Sacramento area?

Hi All, I am in the beginning stages of starting the process for the VGS through Kaiser in Richmond Ca. I live in Sacramento and just wanted to see if there are any other folks on here from my area. I have had my consult with the surgeon and will be going in for my psych evaluation in a few weeks here. If anyone has gone through the VGS process at the Kaiser Richmond Center and has any tips, suggestions, or any advice I would be grateful to hear from you. :001_tt2: In addition if you are aware of any Kaiser Bariatric support groups that meet in the Sacramento area or are interested in carpooling to one of the support groups in Richmond let me know.

Michael

Hi Michael,

My name is Sherri, I live in Sac and am going through Kaiser Richmond. I should get a call this week for my case manager appointment. As I am still in the pre op stage I don't have much wisdom to spread but will answer any questions I can.

There is a support group that meets at point west kaiser the 3rd Saturday of the month from 11-1

I have not been to one yet, but have talked to some of the people on the message boards at Kaiser Richmond Pre-op - Page 809 - LAP-BAND? Surgery and LAP-BAND? Discussion Forum

Which Surgeon did you meet with? I have Dr. Fisher.

One thing I can tell you is the pre op diet works great.. I am already below pre surgery goal and its only been little over 3 weeks. If you have not started it yet.. I would start now..

They weigh you at every appointment so wear your lightest clothes and take off your shoes..

good luck and feel free to send me a message any time

Sherri :thumbup1:

Wow Sherri! I am impressed with how fast you are going through the program. I just had my orientation in South SF today and I really hoping things go fast. It looks like you were not required to lose a full 10% of weight before surgery-is that true?

Cherice

Edited by cherice95403

Hello,

I had surgery with Dr. Baggs at Kaiser Richmond on February 17th. I think Dr. Baggs walks on Water. Dr. Fisher assisted in my surgery. They're a good team.

The Richmond support group meeting is tomorrow night. I'll be there. :thumbup1:

Hi Cherice,

Yes I was lucky and only needed to loose 10 pounds, he said it was because I am tall and carry my weight well. I am still trying to loose as much as possible pre surgery, so far since starting the pre-op diet I have lost 25lbs

I wish you the same luck !

Sherri :blink:

Wow Sherri! I am impressed with how fast you are going through the program. I just had my orientation in South SF today and I really hoping things go fast. It looks like you were not required to lose a full 10% of weight before surgery-is that true?

Cherice

i am in Stockton and am having my surgery in a couple weeks at Kaiser Fremont.

My surgery is in Richmond....June 22nd, yours??

Cherice

I had surgery in So. SF, and I had to lose between 20 and 25 lbs. I managed 22 lbs. I think this may depend on you age, wt, doctor, etc. I had my surgery by Dr. David Le, and he is very good. Everyone has a private room. Best of luck. Les

:001_rolleyes:Thank you all who have replied to my post. I am feeling a bit anxious and lost with this process. I have seen in other Kaiser member posts that they were required to participate in an 'Options" class. Is this something that any of you have had to take and if so should I sign up now or will this have to wait until I am at my pre-surgery weight? In addition is there any other Kaiser requirements I can try to accomplish while I am getting down to my goal weight you can tell me about?

Thank you,

Michael

Edited by lorden88

i don't quite know what you mean by and 'options' class, but i will tell you the process...

1. get referral from your PCP

2. Attend a general bariatric surgery overview class (your PCP will sign you up for this class.

3. after you attend class you have to let your PCP know if you want to continue to pursue bariatric surgery. They will then refer you to the bariatric program.

4. the bariatric center will then call to set you up with their required class, which is a 3 hour class with one of the surgeons who tells you all about the different choices of surgeries, risks, benefits etc. There is also a dietitian who talks for about an hour about the pre-op and post-op diets. At this time you will learn all the pre-op requirements and so on

5. at that point you need to decide if you want to move forward in pursuing bariatric surgery and schedule a three hour appointment where you meet with the surgeon a dietitian and the coordinator. At this time they will tell you exactly how much they want you to lose before surgery.

6. when you get within 5 lbs of your goal you call to schedule your psych appointment with a social worker

7. meet with the bariatric social worker who screens for eating disorders (and in my case required some extra appointments with my psychiatrist and therapist bc of my psych history)

8. meet your goal weight, call in and wait for them to call you with a surgery date

9. once you get surgery date you will have a pre-op appointment with the surgeon. he will do a physical, talk with you again about the surgery and its risks. Sign all the paper work and get all the pre-op info (procedures, lab work, etc.)

10. come in for surgery on your surgery day. and YOU CANNOT BE ONE POUND OVER YOUR GOAL OR THEY WILL SEND YOU HOME.

Does that help??? :)

the 21st in Fremont :)

Maybe we can walk the halls together...look for me, I'm short & fat. LOL :thumbup:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

The options classes are held at the Southern California Kaiser Hospitals. We don't have that up here in Northern California.

Good luck to all of you with your surgeries!!

Hey guys, I just wanted to double check on a support group meeting in the Sacramento area (Kaiser Point West)....Is there a meeting scheduled for this Sat 6/26? I have gotten a few conflicting dates...

Thank you!

Hi

This is the most recent info I have

SACRAMENTO SUPPORT GROUP...

JUNE 26th, 2010, 11:00-1:00PM...

4TH SATURDAY OF EACH MONTH...

PLEASE JOIN US!

Point West Medical Offices - Kaiser

1650 Response Road

Sacramento, CA 95815

You can enter either of the front doors, and walk towards the center and back hallway, there is usually a sign for the room we are in!

SHerri :-)