Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling a little frustrated today ......

Had my surgery Feb. 8th, and most days I feel good about it, today - not so much. I am down 52 lbs. so I am happy about that but I am having a hard time eating. I don't know if it is just that I am having a hard time accepting just how little I can actually eat, or if I am not able to eat as much as most. It feels like I was eating more a month ago than I am able to now. I also have never gone a more than a week without getting sick after I eat. Sometimes I can eat the same thing I ate before with no problem and this time there is a problem. I can't seem to figure it out. Has anyone else had this problem at almost 4 months out? Is it still a process that will change more? I thought by now I would be able to eat a little bit, and enjoy that and be satisfied. Now I feel somewhat hungry and go to eat and feel frustrated because I just know I can't eat what is in front of me - no matter what it is. The Protein Drinks are saving me...

Thanks for your input

Diane

Hey Diane, I'm going through that right now! It is frustrating because I can't seem to get very many calories in on any given day. I do have a lot of issues with things feeling like they creep back into my esophagus after I eat. I estimate I can get about an ounce of food in at a time. I checked with some of the gals on here and they said that was a normal amount for them at my the stage I am at. I hope it gets better!

I'm from MI as well, the UP.

Well I'm 8.5 months out and tonight I was only able to eat about 3oz of tuna, maybe 3 brocolli florets and done! Up from sitting position to usual routine of tapping on my esophagus, (to help it move down!) and pacing the floor. The only time I feel semi comfortable eating is when it's mushie. I am definately the odd ball out here and I'm beginning to think that this is the way it's gonna be. I don't get how some people can eat so much more than I can especially when they're months earlier out from surgery and my bougie size was a 40. I don't get it.

I'm 4 months out and I was noticing just in the past week or so, that I can't seem to eat as much as I used to at one time. I'm having to stop at about 4 bites of whatever meal I'm eating now. Just seems odd to change like that.

I have to say since I went off my PPI I can't eat as much. It is really weird that an acid blocker

would change the amount I can eat.

I still do better with mushies than I do with anything else. With meat, you really have to cut it up very tiny. I am talking little slivers of meat and chew them until there is nothing left to chew.

Are all of you sure you are taking really tiny bites and chewing enough?

I feel like a complete odd ball, I have a size 34 and for dinner i had about 2.5 table spoons of salmon with 2 tablespoons of spinich and mashed. I felt full and very comfortable. The other day I ate 3/4 of a crab cake that was the size of a half dollar. IS that weird? I can eat almost anything except creamy or icecreamy things, but my portions are small.

It's a complete lifestyle change. and yep. that means EATING tooo.

14 months out...... and I got sick again the other day. I was actually kinda glad. tells me my sleev is WORKING!! LOL

I can eat "junk" better than anything. so I stay away from it... Have a VERY hard time with red meat.I just get tooo full and uncomfortable.. even with just a few bites.. I feel it is too heavy for my stomach.

You're doing great Diane... keep up the good work, and yes you will have disapointments, and frustrqations, but in the end, it is WORTH IT!!

You are all feeling NORMAL:tongue_smilie: The key is chewing your food really good and slowing down! I continually think...how slow can you eat 5 bites! Yes, 4-5 bites:001_rolleyes: I had my surgery in August of 2009 and continually hit new types of adjustments...however, for the first time in a long time, I'm feeling better. Please my dear friends...remember this is a tool...we still have to deal with the behaviors we need to change:blushing:

One thing to try that may help is take your food and cut it up into the size that you would give a child who is being introduced to solid foods. It makes it easier to chew (actually making sure it's chewed enough). We still take "normal bites" and "chew it normal" and then "swallow normal" into a stomach that is now much much smaller. Silly way to think of it; however, break it down.

For the first time in my life I'm having to eat CONSCIOUSLY all the time...I have to think of every bite and this is a MAJOR change for me because when I don't eat consciously, I always take that 5th or 6th bite and it's to late. I miss eating unconsciously; however, I remember how big I got and the trade off...

You all are in my thoughts and prayers...it will get better as time goes on:thumbup:

Thanks to everyone for your replies, I so appreciate hearing from everyone else when things are bothering me. Makes me you realize you aren't alone and I always get great advice. I do need to be more aware of HOW I am eating now just WHAT I am eating. I am really going to work on that and see if it makes a difference. I have to respect my new stomach! Thank you all

Diane

Wow, this post really makes you realize how major a change we have made. When I had a band this was the issue as well. Tiny bites, and chew, chew, chew.

One thing to try that may help is take your food and cut it up into the size that you would give a child who is being introduced to solid foods. It makes it easier to chew (actually making sure it's chewed enough). We still take "normal bites" and "chew it normal" and then "swallow normal" into a stomach that is now much much smaller. Silly way to think of it; however, break it down.

This is what I was trying to explain. You have to cut solids, or meat up into itty bitty pieces. If you're cutting them up into the size you ate before your surgery, you're going to be in trouble. Cut them up into teeny tiny pieces and then chew them up into nothing. Chew until you can't chew anymore.That's the way you have to eat solid meat.< /strong>

I am a year out and this is the way I eat steak and chicken. For the most part, I don't cook, cause I live alone. So at home I drink a lot of Protein shakes,lunch meat, Protein Bars, greek yogurt, chicken or egg salad, and these are all soft foods.

Dense foods like chicken or steak are things I eat when going out to dinner. Yes, I chew it up until it's just a mushy liquid in my mouth. If I don't,it's going to come back up.

Things will definitely continue to change as the months progress.

I know longer have to chew meat to mush, or take tiny bites. I chew well obviously and take what I consider normal size bites, smaller than pre-op but not tiny. If I eat slowly, I can get more in. As the months go on, some old habits creep in, and chewing faster, and swallowing faster gets ya.

I still eat a lot of mushy foods for meat choices. Deli meat, cheeses, some chili, Beans etc.

I will be a year out at the end of next week, and a lot of things have changed for me since the 3-5 month mark. I still can't eat a large amount. No more than 3-5oz of dense meat and 6-8oz of mushy/puree stuff, not simultaneously, but those are my limits. It takes me awhile to eat an entire cup of mushy stuff.

The main thing that sucks is that I can eat a lot of chips, crackers, and pretzels. It makes the decision making a little more difficult now that I'm maintaining.

I cook at a minimum of 6 nights per week. I'm always in control of how my food is prepared and served. For me, this makes eating much easier. I eat all types of foods when I'm out. Eating out is an experience, and I enjoy every minute of it. I have found what works best, and what is just a waste of time and money.

I think everyone is different, and something really clicked for me around the 6 month out mark. It's only gotten better since then, and now I honestly don't have any problems eating. Probably in the last 3-4 months, I've only gotten sick one time because I accidentally took a gulp of tea immediately after eating. I can take a sip or two with a meal with zero issues, but now I can gulp down beverages and it was just out of habit. I paid for it because half my dinner came up.

Oregondaisy, Tiffykins...thanxs for responding..let's me know what Im in store for as time moves along. I guess everyone is different in what they can or can't tolerate. What types of deli meats? Do you roll anything around the meat? What about refried Beans, are they tolerable? Who makes the greek yogurt? Tiffykins, you have a different type of yogurt right? I think you said before Oikos? Does it have fruit in it? When you are in the 2nd phase..sipping creme Soup and Protein shakes..they both go down so easy for me..a question, should I only drink no more than 2 oz every 10 to 15 min.? I could sip a cup of soup easy...thank you both for all that you share...