Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are the symptoms for acid reflux? I think I am having a little bit of a problem with acid and may need to speak with my doctor about it at my post op appointment.

There are a lot of symptoms, and some are very specific to sleevers.

In general, a burning swelling sensation in my throat is what I experienced. It was a little frightening at its worst, because it literally felt like my throat was swelling closed. Sometimes it just feels like a mild sore throat, sometimes it's worse.

Also sometimes it felt like I had wicked dry throat, like when you're very thirsty. Except that I had been tracking my Water intake and it was good -- it was just a little acid burn.

Particularly at night, stomach acid may back up into your mouth -- you may wake up choking on it (I did). Very, very unpleasant (and bad for you).

Another common symptom is a persistent cough. You may mistake it for allergies or a cold (I know I did!). It tends to be worse after eating.

Also, mild pain in the center of the chest is fairly common.

Finally, many sleevers (myself included) experience acid overproduction as "hunger." It's not really hunger, it's just that growling, churning sensation in the stomach that we're used to considering hunger. This is why getting on an acid blocker is a Very Good Idea for a sleever (at least in the first 6-12 months). It not only protects our fragile stomach and esophagus from some acid damage, but it makes us feel less "hungry," so we don't sink our own weight loss.

Obviously, talk to your doctor, but if you're not already on an acid blocker (specifically, a proton pump inhibitor or PPI, like Prilosec), you probably should be.

I got this funky, twinge in my stomach 1-2 hours after eating. It took almost 6 weeks for me to recognize these as symptoms. It was kind of like a false hunger pang. Mine never escalated to any burning, heartburn, true pain, or discomfort, it was just weird. I had a f/u a few days after it started. Had talked to some vets out there, and they all told me to get on something. Prescribed Prilosec 20mg once daily, and haven't had any issues since.

For me, my stomach just ached. It wasn't a hungry feeling, although I can see how people would mistake it for a hungry feeling. It's just a gnawing ache.

Also, I do get some heartburn that will sometimes turn into nausea.

You should be on an acid blocker or reducer for 6 months post op. I was on them for a year, but I am coming off of them now. It's getting easier, but the first few days were not fun.

I never had acid until after the surgery, in which it woke me up with stabbing pains and nausea. I suppose this was from having an empty stomach most of the time. I took prilosec, but it did not help alone. I started chewing a few (2 or 3) chewable cherry Rolaids every night before bed and since then have not had any acid.

Prilosec and other PPIs typically take a few days to kick in for maximum efficacy.

You can take a Zantac or Pepcid for relief once the acid starts, but the other PPIs actually take time to build up in our bodies. I think Nexium is the fastest acting out of all of them.

I only had to take ppi's for 5 weeks. I'm on day 2 without and have quite a bit of burning. I got some gavison (thanks for the tip oregondaisy) because I understand that tums and rolaids can cause rebound (thanks again oregondaisy). I'm going to go 5 days and if its not any better I will go back on my ppi. Its just that they keep you from absorbing some stuff and your body does need a little acid... plus I don't want to take meds forever. We'll see how it goes.

Its pretty common for people to have to take a ppi post op. Its worth asking your doc.

You're welcome Stcyt!

You're supposed to be on them 6 months post op. I would suppose that is to protect the tiny tummy

while it's healing.

I was on them a year, bu it's getting easier every day.

Gavescon is supposed to be the only

one that won't cause rebound acid.

Dr. Aceves told me to take prilosec

which is not a PPI, but an acid reducer, every other day for 2 weeks, then every 3 days for 2 weeks, but so far, I have not had to do that.

My doc said I could go ahead and try now.... but if it gets too bad I'll go back on the ppi's.... dont want to mess up my new sleeve (I love it).

Yesterday was day two and it was pretty rough. I took some gaviscon before bed and today I feel fine.... I haven't eaten yet so we'll see.

If I cankick the ppi's I will be able to say that there is absolutly NOTHING I don't love about my sleeve!!!!!!

Edited by stcyt

Okay.... day 4. I think its better today. I have eaten Breakfast and I feel the acid.... but nothing like it was. Yesterday was hell. Thank the stars for gaviscosn. I may have this licked by mid week!!!!!!!

ginger chews help too

Is Zantac an acid reducer? That is what I am taking -- the dr., gave it to me for a month... But I had to take a TUMS today because I had just major heartburn... The last time I had heartburn was when I was pregnant!!:)

Tums can cause rebound acid. Dr. Aceves recommends Gavescon. I take a little sip and it's gone instantly. he says it's the only one that won't cause rebound acid.

My Pcp wants me to take a Tagamet before dinner if I am going to eat anything that I think will cause acid.

I am doing well off my PPI now. I don't feel hungry or have a stomach ache anymore. I think my body is finally getting used to not having the acid blocked.

Is Gavescon over the counter? I am waking up with major heartburn in the morning at all times. I am drinking two zantacs a day but that is not working :blush:

Is acid reflux or heartburn common in those that have been sleeved? Does anyone know why?

Tums can cause rebound acid. Dr. Aceves recommends Gavescon. I take a little sip and it's gone instantly. he says it's the only one that won't cause rebound acid.

My Pcp wants me to take a Tagamet before dinner if I am going to eat anything that I think will cause acid.

I am doing well off my PPI now. I don't feel hungry or have a stomach ache anymore. I think my body is finally getting used to not having the acid blocked.

Edited by lillita

Gavescon is over the counter. It's a liquid but it does come in chewables. The cherry are way better than the mint.

Since you are newly sleeved, you should be on an acid blocker not an acid reducer. Ask your doctor for a prescription of the generic for protonix. It's really cheap and it makes your body completely stop making acid.

The down side is you're only supposed to be on it for 6 months and weaning off of it is not as easy as I thought it would be. Your body needs acid to absorb Calcium so that is why I am getting off of it. My calcium levels are really low, even though I have been taking

calcium citrate for years.

I have trouble knowing what acid symptoms are also. I always have gurgling noises coming up my esophagus and some gasiness and burping. I get a nauseous feeling sometimes too that seems related. I've had a couple of episodes of what might have been acid backing up into my throat, but that's rare.

I take Prevacid right now because the omeprazole didn't seem to be helping much. I'm doing better on the Prevacid but still have some issues. The nurse at my docs office said that I should be able to stop the Prevacid since I had a hernia repair, but I'm not sure about that.

My surgeon recommended Gavescon for me post op for gas and heartburn. I guess my question is, how do I know when and how much I should take this? Should I take Gavescon every time I'm gurgling and burping, or at specific times during the day?