Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drumroll please....100 lbs. OFF today

Finally got down 100 pounds today. This is a big moment. I just wish I felt better. My Piraformis muscle on my left buttock has been bothering me for a month. Looks like I'm going to have to have botox injected into the muscle to paralyze it. Chiropractor says it's because I lost the weight so quickly. Didn't seem quick to me......9.5 months. Anybody have this issue with their piraformis muscle cramping up due to weight loss and sitting? Please let me know how you resolved it.

I do not have any advice for the piraformis muscle, but I just HAD to say CONGRATULATIONS. Way to go on losing the weight. That is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Hmm, I did some research and couldn't find ANYTHING about the piriformis muscle having problems after rapid WL, or about sciatica after WL. In fact, WL is supposed to IMPROVE both of these conditions.

Not to be blunt, but are you sure your chiro isn't spinning a line in order to drum up more business? Perhaps... a second opinion (from, ahem, a real doctor, not a chiropractor)?

My chiropractor said it's because there's no fat in my butt. I guarantee you there is still some fat in there, I don't have a Bu-thigh, I have a Butt, thank you, but this muscle thing is kicking my ass, literally. After I see the MD with the Botox I'll know more and share with you all. Hugs!

Congratulations on the weight loss!

I don't know anything about the muscle issues, but now I'm curious and need to research it :biggrin2:

Many congrats ! ! ! You've done amazing through these 9.5 months. I can't help you on the muscle situation, but my tailbone is chronically inflamed and painful. I have to sit on one cheek or the other. I can not sit on hard surfaces (like bleachers, or boat seats) for long periods of time. I've seen 2 docs now about it, and both of them tell me there really isn't anything they can for me medically. I was advised to do more squats and butt toning exercises in hopes that some fat will shift with building muscles.

I see the chiro. regularly so he's seen me shrink. Yes, my husband thinks it's all voodoo magic with a pyramid on your head sort of thing, and yes, I will see the real doctor with the real needles (gulp, scary) as it's highly doubtful the chiro. can effect a significant change with the magnetic pulse thingie and laser work he's attempting on me this week that insurance doesn't cover. Oh where is that pyramid for my head, and I need my big crystal, too. :biggrin2: Oh I posted some new photos in the album section. As you'll see it's time for the nip/tuck doctor - Manual Bello - in Mexicali coming up real soon. Got the quote and may be going down there in June sometime.

Hmm, I did some research and couldn't find ANYTHING about the piriformis muscle having problems after rapid WL, or about sciatica after WL. In fact, WL is supposed to IMPROVE both of these conditions.

Not to be blunt, but are you sure your chiro isn't spinning a line in order to drum up more business? Perhaps... a second opinion (from, ahem, a real doctor, not a chiropractor)?

I hear you and my tailbone will bother me occasionally from hard surfaces, too. But this muscle thing feels like you have a knot in your butt. I had a massage therapist really work on it, but that didn't work. The muscle cramps and clamps on the sciatic nerve and that's what causes the pain. The only fixes are injections OR surgery. That's why I'm doing the conservative options first; I have a June 2nd appt. for the Botox butt injection. Happy days, huh?! I have to get out of pain so I can party my new bod, kwim?:biggrin2:

Many congrats ! ! ! You've done amazing through these 9.5 months. I can't help you on the muscle situation, but my tailbone is chronically inflamed and painful. I have to sit on one cheek or the other. I can not sit on hard surfaces (like bleachers, or boat seats) for long periods of time. I've seen 2 docs now about it, and both of them tell me there really isn't anything they can for me medically. I was advised to do more squats and butt toning exercises in hopes that some fat will shift with building muscles.

Sorry, I didn't mean to harsh on your doctor, and if he/she helps you, go for it. But I have to be honest that I think the entire chiropractic profession is just a big ball of rampant quackery designed to convince people with the normal aches, pains, sprains, and pulled muscles that we all get that their chi is out of balance, their chakras are unaligned, and that there's some other New Age reason that you have to sign up today for a long course of $100 treatments.

There have been numerous studies debunking pretty much the entire profession (aside from the few tiny points that seem to have some scientific validity) and showing that a good massage is as beneficial (and way cheaper) than expensive chiropractic treatment, but I guess the bottom line is that people in pain will cling to any straw.

*whew* I'm glad I got THAT out of my system :biggrin2:

I hadn't really considered Tiffykins point -- skinnier butts may have less padding. Maybe a simple pillow on your chair at work (where most of us sit most of the time)?

Also, consider an ergonomic evaluation, if your company offers it. When I worked at Microsoft, it was a standard benefit, and I found that just by having an "expert" adjust the height of my desk and my chair, a whole bunch of long-running, mysterious shoulder and arm pain disappeared in very short order!

I hear you and my tailbone will bother me occasionally from hard surfaces, too. But this muscle thing feels like you have a knot in your butt. I had a massage therapist really work on it, but that didn't work. The muscle cramps and clamps on the sciatic nerve and that's what causes the pain. The only fixes are injections OR surgery. That's why I'm doing the conservative options first; I have a June 2nd appt. for the Botox butt injection. Happy days, huh?! I have to get out of pain so I can party my new bod, kwim?:biggrin2:

When my girlfriend injured her shoulder and hip in a side collision many years ago, she was able to get referred to some physical therapy where they used infrared heaters to do deep-tissue heat, and some heavy-duty massage on the hurty areas. It took a while, but it eventually resolved completely.

On the shoulder, I think she DID have to have a cortisone shot, but she said that that almost overnight made most of the shoulder pain go away.

Bottom line (heheh) I definitely think it's worth talking to your primary care doctor about it.

No harshness taken, Dude. I don't have a job outside the home. I'm a realtor. I do sit a lot in my brand new cushy chair but that doesn't help. The Botox will do it. But then you have to go back every 4-6 mos. Basically you need to really stretch the muscle and nerve out, but it's too painful to do it without some help. It's a constant dull, throbbing ache. Chiropractors have their place; I do see them when I need adjustments; have since I was a child. I go to the big guns, though, when I need something more invasive.

Love you guys, thanks for all the lovely comments.

Totally off-topic, but have you had Botox anywhere else? I'm seriously considering it for my deep-set forehead and crowfeet wrinkles.

I'm so vain, I know, but I feel 20 and get carded for booze and cigarettes, but I see the wrinkles and they're bothering me?

Totally off-topic, but have you had Botox anywhere else? I'm seriously considering it for my deep-set forehead and crowfeet wrinkles.

I'm so vain, I know, but I feel 20 and get carded for booze and cigarettes, but I see the wrinkles and they're bothering me?

Hey, don't feel bad. I'm a GUY and I'm eying things like chemical peels and tummy tucks. We guys are not supposed to care what we look like, right?

My opinion is: better living through chemistry, baby. I mean, hey, we all had surgery instead of losing weight the "natural" way, right? Riiiight? So, why not just go whole hog and get everything you want fixed up, fixed up?

/ ITA! No, Tiffy, I've not had Botox in the face, but I would. My first go around with the plastic man will be TT, boob lift, and bat wings taken off. NEXT go around will be the neck and face work done.

Hey, don't feel bad. I'm a GUY and I'm eying things like chemical peels and tummy tucks. We guys are not supposed to care what we look like, right?

My opinion is: better living through chemistry, baby. I mean, hey, we all had surgery instead of losing weight the "natural" way, right? Riiiight? So, why not just go whole hog and get everything you want fixed up, fixed up?

Chemical peels are horrific. Did it once, big mistake. I went to a super reputable dermatologist, but I had to take a week of vacation to recover.

I plan having all my "stuff" fixed LOL.

TT, boobs, and I may reconsider a lower body lift. If I can't get my butt to fill out, and tighten up some of the wrinkly skin that has recently showed up on the side of my butt cheek, I will be seriously looking at a LBL.

/ ITA! No, Tiffy, I've not had Botox in the face, but I would. My first go around with the plastic man will be TT, boob lift, and bat wings taken off. NEXT go around will be the neck and face work done.

I want the face work done first. My neck isn't too bad, and is toning up. But, these damn wrinkles on my forehead and eyes are really starting to bother me.

The TT and boobs are having to be postponed due to plans for a baby in our near future, God willing.