Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bowels anyone have issues?

ok, I am new post op day 6 and still have not had a BM, lots of gas, gurgles, etc, but no BM. I've read about people having diarrhea with this. I tried a little plum juice this am to see if that helps. Next I plan to send my hubbie out for something, Miralax or something. Any ideas? I have been drinking my fluids but started getting nauseated yesterday. :001_tongue:

Use something like Benefiber daily, you can put it in your Protein Drink. If I went as long as you have, I would use a laxative (not to be used on a regular basis). Good luck

To prevent constipation:

Drink large amounts of clear, sugar-free liquids

Exercise, stay active

Try baby food prunes or juice (low sugar)

Try applesauce (low sugar), or an apple

Try oatmeal

Reintroduce fruits and vegetables in your diet

If Constipation persists, try a daily Fiber supplement. A new fiber supplement, BeneFiber™, has

become available which completely dissolves in Water (no glob). Try this first, otherwise

Fibercon™ pills, Metamucil™, Citrucel™ or Milk of Magnesia are also available. Usually you

will require 15 to 20 gm of fiber per day to become regular, after reduce regular use to 10 to 15

gm per day or every other day to stay regular.

i took two tablespoons of milk of magnesia...works like a charm...stay close ot the bathroom!...Seaview

Fighting with this issue...been a few days and I am starting to be conserned. I live in Norway, so I am not sure what they have at the pharmacy for these things...you cannot buy the fiber products at the grocery store....silly huh? I can try the prune juice, but I am trying to keep my blood sugars down too. Anyone have any other advice, let me know.

Thanks,

Rob

so at six days you may not have enough in you to really poop..your system is still in shock from surgery so don't worry..it needs to adjust to your new stomach...go to the pharmacy and ask him for a mild laxative..maybe a bit or mineral oil would be good..they certainly carry that...it will just make things slippier and it's not laxative...or a supository...but don't worry OK? You will poop eventually...let us know...Seaview

Well, nothing is working for me. I have tried Miralax, benefiber... My surgery was a week ago today, and still no movement. Should I be worried? I have an appt. tomorrow to see Dr. Nick so I will definitely ask for his advice and if I should be worried...

Definitely ask him or his PA, I went 6 days but the miralax worked for me. However there was really not anything solid in there when it did work. So you getting your drain pulled tomorrow? I was so happy to have that out.

ok, I am new post op day 6 and still have not had a BM, lots of gas, gurgles, etc, but no BM. I've read about people having diarrhea with this. I tried a little plum juice this am to see if that helps. Next I plan to send my hubbie out for something, miralax or something. Any ideas? I have been drinking my fluids but started getting nauseated yesterday. :thumbup1:

I definitely had problems. I'm okay now, but it's been rough. When it had been 2 or 3 days since I'd had a BM, it was uncomfortable when I ate or drank anything.

My doctor recommended Dulcolax. It is gentle and it works. But the goal is for you to drink more Water. I had trouble drinking water because it caused shooting pains in my stomach. But now that I can drink more water I don't have the Constipation problem. The doc said water is absorbed quicker than juice or something like that and it goes to work where you need it much faster. In fact, if you drink enough water you can have the opposite problem.

Having a lot of the same issues. I have Constipation (2-3 days between movements) and REALLY hard stools. My nut. recommended Cholace (sp?) as a stool softener. That worked, but it gave me explosive diarrhea! I think the big problem is I'm getting little to no fiber these days.

On Saturday I start "real" food (solids), and I'm really excited to think about eating some actual, real vegetables. Weird, huh? But the thought of a well-prepared, tender piece of chicken and some green Beans just seems like HEAVEN right now!

Oh you're going to love the taste of food once you're off the liquids and mushies! It's amazing how great everything tastes. I think that because we're off the super foods - high calorie, sugary, white stuff - our taste buds are invigorated. Maybe all the sweet stuff and simple carbs dulled our senses to real food and that's why we wound up craving the super foods.

You're going to love the taste of nutritious food now.